Wylted
9spaceking

100 Debate Challenge 13: This House would ban cosmetic surgery.

9spaceking
Started: 10/25/2014 Category: Fashion

Wylted

Pro

first round acceptance. No trolling or semantics.
9spaceking

Con

Accepted. Let most of the Burden rest on Pro.

[warning: upcoming disturbing image (that helps build my case--I will explain the importance of this image later, as this round is just for acceptance)]
quickly scroll down or page-down to ignore the terrible look before the transformation; try keep your eye to the right hand of the page so that you see the "After" and not "Before"
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
||
|
|
|
|
||
|
|
|
|
Wylted

Pro

Judging by my opponent's pictures, I believe I know where he intends to take his arguments so let me take a brief moment to clear up any potential confusion that may come up, before it does.

Cosmetic vs Plastic

Cosmetic and Plastic surgery are 2 closely related but different fields. Cosmetic surgeons do elective procedures that focus on being more aesthetically appealing. They do boob jobs, nose jobs, liposuction, botox etc.

What a plastic surgeon does is repair birth defects, or reconstruction surgery to make your face or other body parts look normal.

Psychologically Damaging- Often times people seeking to get cosmetic surgery really just ned psychological help. They're unhappy with themselves and seeking to change. People getting breast implants are 4 times more likely to commit suicide than those who get plastic surgery. http://www.breastimplantinfo.org...

In an analysis of 37 studies:

"The researchers found that patients who are dissatisfied with surgery may request repeat procedures or experience depression and adjustment problems, social isolation, family problems, self-destructive behaviours and anger towards the surgeon and his or her staff'" http://www.apa.org...

People don't really want larger boobs or a tummy tuck, what they want is to feel good about themselves and that's something a psychologist can help them with.

Not Worth The Risk-

"One study found that women who had breast implants for at least eight years were twice as likely to die from brain cancer, three times as likely to die from lung cancer or other respiratory diseases, and four times as likely to commit suicide, compared to other plastic surgery patients A second study found that women with breast implants for at least eight years were 21% more likely to be diagnosed with cancer compared to other women their age" http://www.breastimplantinfo.org...

We're letting people who need psychological help go under the knife when it's completely unneccesary and quite frankly not worth the risk.

9spaceking

Con

1. People have freedom of choice
People doing cosmetic surgery know their risks. They know that they can get depression and all of that junk. They have the right to buy something to kill or damage themselves. Their lives are in their hands. People should be able to make their choices and do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't harm other people. And indeed, plastic surgery does make people happy, so that's a positive effect. AS my opponent's source [http://www.apa.org...] Says, "Studies have shown that people report increased satisfaction with the body part they had surgery on". As you can see there's at least some good effects of cosmetic surgery.
My opponent's breast implant link is broken.

2. Cosmetic surgery gives the government and businesses money!
As this source [http://work.chron.com...] can justify, the average surgeon earns about $360,000 dollars a year. In fact, there has been 14.6 million cosmetic surgeries in 2012 alone! [http://www.plasticsurgery.org...] This shows how important cosmetic surgery is. With cosmetic surgery banned, people will lose their jobs, businesses will go down, and the government will lose huge amounts of money.

3. People will seek out worse alternatives
As similar to the ban of alcohol and smoking, there will probably be a black market if cosmetic surgery was banned. As [http://www.everydayhealth.com...] shows, people can actually become physically addicted to cosmetic surgeries! Therefore they will seek out a new source, and this new source will be even worse, since the real qualified doctors will mostly be too scared to break the law. People who get implants are 4 times more likely to commit suicide? Well, that'll probably be raised up to 5 times if we ban cosmetic surgery and encourage the black market to grow.

Cancer link is broken.
Nevertheless I will provide a counter....THIS STUDY [http://www.cancer.gov...] clearly tells us, unlike my opponent's vague wording, that among 13,500 women, "...there was no significant difference in breast cancer mortality between the implant and comparison group." Thus, it can only be concluded that my opponent's sources did not see the other side of the picture. People get the same amount of breast cancer regardless of whether get implants or not.

In conclusion, yes, psychological help would be better than cosmetic surgery, but unfortunately, due to people's current mind sets, we cannot ban it yet. The worse we can do is to add taxes to prevent people from getting cosmetic surgery, or restrict surgery with government-looked hospitals, with the probable addition of hiring some psychologists to go into those hospitals to help counsel these ill people who need help. That would be the best counter-plan, instead of a ban.
Wylted

Pro

My opponent has not forwarded his own case an has pretty much just provided rebuttals. I'll pass on this round and provide counter rebuttals in the final round. My opponent should be granted more leniency than normal for new arguments in the final round, so long as he doesn't go over board.

If my opponent also passes on this round, I request that he wait until the last possible convenient moment to do so.
9spaceking

Con

There was limited characters so I couldn't construct too much cases.
I, however, did build three important arguments that I will reiterate:
1. Freedom of choice
People have rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness as given by the constitution. [1] Therefore, people, knowing the risks of cosmetic surgery, and the resulting satisfaction, have fulfilled their rights of liberty and pursuit of happiness. Banning cosmetic surgery would deny people these two rights.

2. Economic benefits
Again, the government loosens up its debt a little bit by earning this much money; and the ban of cosmetic surgery would cause many cosmetic surgeons to lose their job, encouraging them to earn money through the bad quality black market.

3. Bad alternatives.
People are addicted to cosmetic surgeries. Some will inevitably look to worse alternatives, that may worsen the already-terrible-sounding statistics my opponent have already mentioned.

My rebuttals, reworded in a better manner:
-My research among 13,500 women, in contrast to my opponent's broken link about cancer and vague wording without real statistics, shows that cosmetic surgery does not cause cancer any more than not doing cosmetic surgery.

And let me stress heavily on my opponent's arguments on cosmetic surgery supposedly having deadly affects on people especially on depression. But this isn't true, as this source [http://www.realself.com...] can justify, although indeed in some cases, cosmetic surgery can cause depression, this is only temporary. On the other hand, its successes are permanent, and it brings an overall "decrease on dependence of anti-depressants".

[1] http://www.archives.gov...
Wylted

Pro

Doctors take the Hippocratic oath which says to do no harm. At best cosmetic surgery masks a psychological problem and at worst it causes suicide and cancer. There is no positive impact. You won't see doctors going homeless if cosmetic surgery ends. There is a shortage of doctors at worst you'd see less competition and their salaries go down slightly, which would actually make medical care cheaper for everybody and be a net good.

Vote pro, because cosmetic surgeries downside vastly out weighs it's upside, which is only a mask for psychological problems and feelings of inferiority anyway.

My arguments are short but my points stand. Virtually no upside other than some weak free will argument that collapses on it's self when taken to the extreme.
9spaceking

Con

"Doctors take the Hippocratic oath which says to do no harm. " Yet, they still do harm in our daily lives, inevitably. Some doctors make mistakes.
"There is no positive impact. " People are happy and they look better as previously said. My critically important source last round remains un-refuted.
"You won't see doctors going homeless if cosmetic surgery ends. " For cosmological doctors, yes.

My arguments still stand as I see them.
Judges, vote whoever you think won.
Posted by UchihaMadara 2 years ago
UchihaMadara
holy sh*t that pic....
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Lol
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I'd be con on the UN having a standing army.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
(heheh, maybe they're more efficient sitting, or crawling XD)
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
what are your thoughts on ""the United Nations should have a standing military force."?
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Arizona iced tea... what. That is so random.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Stretching out midgets....I have no idea. Willy Wonka would no doubt object though.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I also think we need to legalize black people being able to drink Arizona Iced tea.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
(referring to the other debate. I'm not too sure about this debate).
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
haha, yeah....you'd probably win, judging on your prowess. You learned your lesson, so you'd most likely divert your entire effort into the debate. I'll probably need to call out Jack M. to absorb your blows.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Wylted9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never rebutted the economic argument, the freedom of choice argument, or the bad alternatives argument; regardless of how good or bad they are, Con has more reasons to negate than Pro has to affirm, which is that cosmetic surgery *may* cause harm to people's psychology.