12 things most people get wrong in the Bible

12 things people get wrong about the Bible.

A lot of people are confused about Bible beliefs. I'd like to take a moment to clear up a few things if I can. I will try to make it short.

1. The original sin was not SEX
Contrary to popular belief, Adam and Eve were expelled from Eden not because they ate the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but in order to prevent them from eating from the tree of life which would have made them eternal. Here is the verse (Genesis 3:22-23): "And he said: Behold Adam is become as one of us, knowing good and evil: now, therefore, lest perhaps he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever. [23] And the Lord God sent him out of the paradise of pleasure, to till the earth from which he was taken."

2. Jonah and the whale
According to the Bible, Jonah was swallowed by a huge fish " though its type is not mentioned. Of course, I am presuming that everyone reading this list knows that a whale is not a fish.

3. Samson and Delilah
Sorry to say - but in fact - it was Delilah"s servant who cut his hair.

4. The "Rapture"
Is not in the Bible! Despite being believed by a large number of protestants (many of whom also believe that only that which is in the Bible can be true) it was actually invented in the 1600s by one Cotton Mather " otherwise famous for murdering women by strangling them to death (by hanging) in the Salem witch trials. The term in the Bible commonly mistranslated to the word "rapture" actually comes from the Greek O37;`1;`0;^0;_0;`9; (harpazo) which actually means "caught up" or "taken away" and it refers to one person only (Philip).

5.Three Wise Men?
There weren"t three and they didn"t visit Jesus in a manger. The Bible gives neither the number of men (but does the number of gifts as three, which is probably where this misconception stems from). Additionally, Herod demanded the death of all boys under two, making it probable that Christ had been born up to two years prior. Also, the wise men visited Jesus (at about the age of 2) when he lived in a house according to the Biblical account in Matthew 2:11

6. Condemnation of Alchohol
The Bible does not condemn alchohol, in fact Jesus made wine for his sisters wedding.

7. God helps those who help themselves
This saying is not in the Bible. Perhaps a wise man made it up.

8. Am I my brother"s keeper?
God does not answer the question. Thus there is no clear divine gudance on this.

9. Virgin Mary travel to Bethlem at Christmas, Day of Jesus Birth
There is no mention of a donkey in the Bible. Roman Tax season is at the Fall Harvest. Hebrew Calenday puts this in September not December. The story we hear today was astarted in the non-Biblical Protoevangelium of James which you can read . It was written around 150AD.

10. Horned Mose?
The Old Testament refers to Moses as having horns on his head after he went up the mountain to see God to recieve the commandments. This prompted Michaelangelo to sculpt him with the horns. Many people believe that this was due to a mistranslation of the description of Moses. Perhaps Moses had a hat on, or brought an offering, that had horns.

11. Humans can not forgive - That is God's job.
Only God has the power to forgive. Im not sure where we got the idea that we can forgive the sins of others. According to the scripture: We can take it to God, ask God to help us with patience, or ask God to forgive others. But we don't have that power. If you say your going to forgive a friend for a wrong doing, you cant - Only God has the power to forgive.

12. When you go to heaven you do not become an Angel.
Angels are warriors of God, and by the desription in the Bible their ability to cast down fire and brimstone would make Rambo blush. According to the Bible if you are good you can "assend into heaven", but you do not magically become an Angel. You are human, the Sons of man. Angels are the warriors of God, and by the way Angels do not have kids. There is no mention of the Sons of Angels.

I assume that this is Tim Ko. If so, this is Kyle Johnson. What a coincidence!

I will dispute number eleven, in which you say that humans cannot forgive sins. You are right in that humans cannot forgive sins against God (1 Samuel 2:25), but they can forgive sins against each other (Matt. 18:21-22). For example, if I sin against you, then you may forgive me for my sin. However, any offense that my sin caused to God cannot be taken away by yourself. Only Jesus can take it away, because he is both God and a mediator between myself and God.

The original version was big fish, not whale

People cannot forgive sins, as that is a power of God

I am not debating the bible as a whole - simply what does it say vs misconceptions about what it says

It seems like you've responded to someone else's comment instead of to my argument. Please respond to the Bible passages which command that believers forgive each other, and also those that describe people forgiving each other (2 Cor. 2, etc.).

We should have defined forgiveness. I will define forgiveness as the removal of a moral debt (Matt. 18:32). That is, someone has done something wrong against another individual and that individual does not demand that they be punished. You are welcome to accept or reject my definition, and give justification for your own definition.

tko forfeited this round.

kj_dex forfeited this round.
Posted by dsjpk5 9 months ago
You really shouldn't plagiarize.
Posted by Kyle_the_Heretic 9 months ago
Actually Matt. 12:40 says a whale swallowed Jonah. So we either have conflicting passages mentioning a "big fish" and a "whale", or one of the writers was confusing the two.

Also, Revelations 22:8-9 strongly alludes to men becoming angels.
Posted by Peepette 9 months ago
And what is your stance on this debate? Contention on the 12 points? Or are you looking for a rebuttal on the Bible as a whole?