Jordyn_kelley
purpleduck

13 year olds should be allowed to get married

Jordyn_kelley

Pro

13 year olds in this day and age are more responsible and mature than given credit for! They are old enough to make the decision to get married. 13 year olds should be given more respect then they are given because not ALL 13 year olds are irresponsible. For example when you are at home watching the news in the morning with your hot cup of coffee before work and you see the big news about the huge car accident caused by alcohol or drugs, or the balcony collapsing at a party, or the shootings in small neighborhoods, how many of those are caused by a 13 year old, none, they are all caused by adults or older teens. When you see a 13 year old on the news it's usually because of a huge accomplishment, or something adorable, or they are the ones being shot in that neighborhood shooting you heard about last week. At least give them a chance is that so much to ask for? Your not giving them the right to be president you are giving them the chance to grow up. Please consider it and leave your opinion. Also look back at what you just read and look at how mature that is, that's written by a 13 year old. So once agai please consider giving young love a chance! Thank you for your time.
Sincerely, Jordyn Kelley.
purpleduck

Con

This is a weird topic, but I'm bored, so whatever

A lot of this will be my personal experience with 13 year olds, because not all 13 year olds are the same, and as such there is no uniform definition of the maturity of a 13 year old. I will, however, try to make my arguments as universal as possible.

13 year olds have the capacity to understand quite a bit, but understanding things does not equate to maturity. The general consensus on what denotes maturity, according to several websites, include responsibility, accountability, self control, reliability, open mindedness, humbleness, and integrity. All of these are learned attributes, and while some kids may learn these faster than others, none of these are very fun in practice, and as such a 13 year old would probably not even bother.

There is a reason why even high school sweethearts, much less middle school sweethearts, rarely end up together. That reason is because each person matures differently, and interests eventually diverge. There is one such story which was featured on the radio show "This American Life" which talked about a couple in high school that were so close that even the faculty thought that they would end up together. They had both grown up in the same impoverished neighborhood and thought of themselves as unworthy of the realm of higher academics, and as such neither of them planned on college. However, both of them were accepted into a prestigious support program designed to help talented kids in poverty go to college. The girl worked extremely hard and eventually graduated, while the boy continued to think that he was unworthy of his current position, and after a while, the girl stopped trying to help him and they broke up.

The main thing to take away from this story is the fact that people change. They grow up, most often in very different ways, ways no one could ever predict. The fact remains that high school kids, and especially middle school kids, are immature. They may sound and write maturely, but giving off the superficial appearance of maturity does not equate to actual maturity. My opponent from my assessment is probably currently in a relationship or knows someone in a relationship, and the people in question probably love each other so much that they want to get married right now. That, in of itself, already demonstrates immaturity, because it shows impatience and lack of self control, as if you notice, is on the list of qualities of a mature person. The writer also proclaims herself to be mature in the third to last sentence, a sign of arrogance, which also so happens to be another sign of immaturity (not humble). If my opponent wishes to demonstrate that 13 year olds in general are mature enough to make such a major decision as to be legally and financially bound to another person, she should probably become more mature herself.

The arguments my opponent makes are also highly flawed, filled with straw men and red herrings. My opponent proclaims that because 13 year olds are not commonly involved in car accidents, alcohol and drug abuse, major shootings, and (for whatever reason) falling balconies, they are mature enough to marry. Well the thing is, if that was the criteria for getting married, we would have 2 year olds getting married because 2 year olds are also not commonly involved in car accidents, alcohol and drug abuse, major shootings, and falling balconies.
My opponent also points out that 13 year olds are on the news either for a major accomplishment, doing something cute, or getting shot. This is obviously a false generalization, as it is highly likely that there is at least one news story of a 13 year old not involved in any of the above listed. But that is besides the point. The main problem here is that none of those things has anything to do with the level of maturity of 13 year olds in general, because 1. those kids represent a very tiny fraction of 13 year olds, 2. those kids are probably not mature themselves either.
My opponent lastly makes an argument comparing marriage to presidency, saying that in comparison to running for president, letting 13 year olds marry is quite mild. I must agree with this, but that still does not mean 13 year olds should marry, and so this is a faulty comparison. It is synonymous to letting people steal, because "at least they aren't raping babies".

All in all, not only does my opponent fail to make effective and relevant arguments, she also fails to effectively represent the mature population of 13 year olds which she so claims to. And while I am sure very mature, marriage worth 13 year olds exist, they do not make up the majority of 13 year olds, and unless my opponent can prove otherwise, she cannot prove anything else.

http://lifetofullest.com...
http://www.actsweb.org...
http://www.marcandangel.com...
https://www.psychologytoday.com...
http://www.albionpleiad.com...
Jordyn_kelley

Pro

Jordyn_kelley forfeited this round.
purpleduck

Con

purpleduck forfeited this round.
Jordyn_kelley

Pro

Jordyn_kelley forfeited this round.
purpleduck

Con

purpleduck forfeited this round.
Posted by Varrack 1 year ago
Varrack
You didn't make a single relevant argument in your opening round. Lol