Lrhodes9019
Bravo8675309

$15 minimum wage would be beneficial

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Lrhodes9019

Con

I do not believe that a $15 minimum wage would be beneficial to the United States
Bravo8675309

Pro

Lrhodes9019

Con

Thank you for accepting.

Currently, the United States is filled with lazy "workers" who don't want to work. At minumum wage, on a 40-hour work week, one could be slightly below the $15,000 threshold for poverty. With that being said, 70% of those who have a minimum wage job, work 35 hours a week or less. (1)

People need to get active. People need to go to school and get a job. This is the land of oppurtunity, people should not be trying to live off of minimum wage in the first place. Making the minimum wage $15 would also cause many economic issues. What kind of prosperous corporation is going to want to hire more employees at $15/hr, if they are being taxed more (given Bernie Sanders is elected)? A $15/hr minimum wage is only going to make America more lazy.

(1) Source- http://www.salary.com...
Bravo8675309

Pro

Bravo8675309 forfeited this round.
Lrhodes9019

Con

Looks like that's it.
Bravo8675309

Pro

Sorry about the negligence, I got far busier yesterday than I'd anticipated. If you're willing, I'd love to debate you another time under a similar or different topic.
Posted by cstew 1 year ago
cstew
Lrhodes9019, all I have to say is that this debate is far more complicated than simply an issue over balancing the desires of the poor and those of businesses. This debate in many ways boils down to a conflict between neoclassical and progressive economic theory. The experts and research are heavily divided the effect of increases in the minimum wage on virtually every metric of the economy including employment, poverty and overall prosperity. Yes there are "lazy" people within the US workforce, but many of the arguments made in support of a minimum wage are that it is meant to create an incentive for people to want to work rather than remain unemployed. Additionally, it would be helpful I think for you examine the concept of diverse outcomes relating to this policy debate because due to diverse standards of living across the US, a $15 dollar minimum wage might perhaps be feasible in some areas while catastrophic in others. However, in the end I agree with you and believe a sweeping federal $15 dollar wage floor would be catastrophic for the overall US economy.
Posted by Mydearwhatson 1 year ago
Mydearwhatson
Would it be beneficial if everyone went to college??