yomama12
AmericanBlackshirt

18th and 19th century white people are jerks

yomama12

yomama12

Pro

even though I am white, I think whites of the 18th,19th, and early 20th centuries were jerks. I will be debating that they were.
AmericanBlackshirt

Con

I accept this debate.
yomama12

Pro

Victim of jerkiness #1: African Americans. Now you may be thinking I'm going to talk all about slavery, but today I'm going to talk about after slavery. Until the mid to late 20th century, blacks were victims of many acts of jerkiness. For example, the Klu Klux Klan. They didn't think blacks should be equal, so what do they do? They torture and KILL poor blacks for this reason. People used and sometimes still do discriminate blacks, but WE ARE the ones who brought them here to begin with! Talk about being JERKY, America!
AmericanBlackshirt

Con

The Ku Klux Klan was mostly non-violent but sadly there were a couple of fringe groups that did murder and torture African-Americans. Infact Marcus Garvey, one of the most famous Black Nationalist Leaders, allied with the Klan's Imperial Wizard Edward Young Clarke. Garvey stated that "I regard the Klan, the Anglo-Saxon clubs and White American societies, as far as the Negro is concerned, as better friends of the race than all other groups of hypocritical whites put together. I like honesty and fair play. You may call me a Klansman if you will, but, potentially, every white man is a Klansman, as far as the Negro in competition with whites socially, economically and politically is concerned, and there is no use lying." We also must look at the White Slaves owned by Africans. In a new book, Robert Davis, professor of history at Ohio State University, calculated that between 1 million and 1.25 million European Christians were captured and forced to work in North Africa from the 16th to 18th centuries. That sounds pretty Jerkie to me.
yomama12

Pro

Victim of jerkiness #2: Native Americans. When Christopher Columbus and all those peeps sailed to new land, they were obviously going to stumble across people already there. They tried to trade with us and all that and what do we do in return? we kick them off their land, slaughter their families, and make some slaves! And once the native slaves started dying we went across the sea and captured and sold Africans like they were LIVESTOCK!We didn't deserve their help in WW2, they hired Navajo natives to send codes to one another in their language so the Japanese couldn't crack it, like they could English. What do we do in return? when they were under attack, the U.S left them there to die. And what do the Japanese do when they figured out what language it was? they captured and tortured poor Navajos. Talk about being JERKY!
AmericanBlackshirt

Con

AmericanBlackshirt forfeited this round.
yomama12

Pro

Victim of jerkiness: Asians. During WW2, America put all the Japanese people of the country into concentration camp- like camps(though they didn't kill anybody, thank god!). Now you may be saying that they did it so they didnt do anything else related to blowing crap up. But, these Japanes people were citizens of Japan, who were not part of the military in any way! It was like the Holocaust all over again, but with no deaths. Talk about Jerky!
AmericanBlackshirt

Con

yomama12

Pro

Victim of jerkiness #4: Arabs. Just because They said Bin Laden was hiding in Iraq, doesn't mean the U.S can just storm in and kill all the people that come to close with a gun! They might be trying to give Intel or Wanting to help with the mission. Even children. Now I admit some people may be suicidal bombers or Taliban gun men, but that doesn't give you the right to shoot people on sight!
AmericanBlackshirt

Con

Posted by mimibrightzola 3 years ago
mimibrightzola
Well you are generalizing but back then, many whites abused their power and turned to "Social-Darwinism" as an explanation for their actions. They imperialized many non-white places and mistreated the non-whites. Some caucasians were kind, yet many of them were cruel.
Posted by yomama12 3 years ago
yomama12
The only reason the Africans were capturing Christians was that Christians were trying to migrate to Africa and change the local religions!
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
yomama12AmericanBlackshirtTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct- FF, Convincing Arguments- Pro had more and better arguments. Plus, I have never heard of Marcus Garvey allying with the Klan