djones16
warren42

1999 is the best year for cinema ever

djones16
Started: 1/12/2015 Category: Movies

djones16

Pro

OK hello guys this is my 5th debate on this great website so far, I will be arguing that the year 1999 was the best year of cinema in terms of movie quality as well as movie significance. The rules will be simple
1. No trolling or bitching
2. The first round will be acceptance as well as saying what your chosen year is
3. All movies mentioned has to of come out on that year and cannot be a film that started development in that year, can't have originally been said to come out on that year ( for example avatar would be a 2009 film and not 1999 when it was originally going to come out)
4. round 2 will be stating your arguments and round 3 will be countering each other
Have fun and good luck on the debate.
warren42

Con

I accept and choose 1888 as the year.
djones16

Pro

djones16 forfeited this round.
warren42

Con

1888 is the best year in cinema history because it is the year in which the first ever film was produced. The Roundhay Garden Scene is credited with being the oldest surviving film. [1][2]

[1] http://m.imdb.com...
[2] http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...
djones16

Pro

While 1888 was when the first "true" film was made, it was known that filming moving images was a technique used since the early 1880s, and to counter cons point the first film ever made, even though most of it is lost was man walking around the corner and was filmed by Louis Le Prince, the exact date of the filming is unknown but it is widely believed to be sometime before 1887 as that was when the film was sent to his wife. Meaning that cons point that it was the first year that a film was made is wrong.

https://www.google.co.uk...

Now to debate for my year 1999. As I stated in the start of the debate this debate will be about judging the films made in that specific year "in terms of movie quality as well as movie significance". So I will start with movie quality, obviously due to the time it was made there is no way that in terms of movie quality it could be better than any film made in 1999, mainly due to the fact that it was one of the first films ever made. However movies such as American Beauty, The Matrix, Blair Witch Project, Eyes Wide Shut and Office Space are in my opinion not only some of the greatest films of their genres but some of the finest movies ever made.

Now to talk about movie significant, alot of films released in 1999 have influenced so many future films in their genre and have been known as innovative to many many filmmakers now. For example the action scenes in the Matrix, such as the slow motion fight scenes, that are overused nowadays for sure, but back then were new and changed the way people saw action movies. We also have the Blair Witch Project, which created an entire new horror genre in itself "the found footage film" and the impact of this movie is seen everyday now with films such as paranormal activity using the same "found footage style" as Blair Witch Project. The Sixth Sense has one of, if not the greatest endings, and plot twists ever seen on film. How about South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut, Office Space and American Pie, these are in my opinion some of the greatest comedies of all time. I haven't even began to talk about The Green Mile, Fight Club, American Beauty, The Iron Giant, The Boondocks Saints, 10 Things I Hate About You, Magnolia, Being John Malkovick and one of the greatest foreign films of all time the audition. I have now finished my portion of round 3 and look forward to seeing my opponent counter my arguments.
warren42

Con

Thanks, Pro.
For my concluding statements, I'd like to start with the fact that Pro admits that 1888 was when the first "true" film was made. He then goes on to state that there may have been one made in 1887. "It's widely believed" Pro states, but gives us no source (besides a Google search, essentially asking the voters to find his sources for him). Plus, I stated that it was the first surviving film. Pro gives us no way to know for sure when this film was produced, so we have no reason to believe his claims. I have proven that "Roundhay Garden Scene" is credited by IMDb, one of the authoritative bodies in film making, as well as by Guinness World Records, as at least the oldest surviving film, and is, to the best of our knowledge, the first movie. The first ever film is obviously the most influential in cinema history. As we can see, my opponent's responses were inadequate and my case still stands.

Now for my opponent's points of contention. My opponent talks about the Matrix and Blair Witch Project, but Pro even admits how overused slow-motion fight scenes are used in action movies, and I'd argue the "found footage film" is overused in modern horror films as well. The example given is Paranormal Activity, but this series of films has already released five movies, and a sixth one is in the works to be released this year. [1] If these film techniques are so overused, then there's no reason that the invention of them is a good thing. If they've been used to the point where they're ineffective, they're a waste. Finally, my opponent then states " I haven't even began to talk about..." and proceeds to list a series of films. If Pro wanted to talk about this list, he/she should have. There's no reason not to, and if space was an issue, there are two reasons this is Pro's own fault. First, they created the debate, and could have added more character space, and second, by forfeiting a round, they gave up a bunch of space for argumentation. For these reasons I urge voters to support Con. Thank you!

[1] http://www.imdb.com...
Posted by djones16 2 years ago
djones16
Sorry about missing round 2 i will counter and state my points in round 3
Posted by djones16 2 years ago
djones16
I agree con can't say that there is no greatest year
Posted by ZenoCitium 2 years ago
ZenoCitium
@warren42: I see what you did there.....
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
I've seen that kind of argument, and I always find it lame. If there is no greatest year, than every year is in fact the greatest year.
Posted by phantom 2 years ago
phantom
If I were you, I'd add the rule that Con can't make the argument that there is no greatest year. That would kinda ruin the debate.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
djones16warren42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for forfeit. Sources would only be tied from the sources con provided, however his job actually countering pro's tips it (more people need to look at their opponents sources for fault). Arguments: Quality ends up going to pro, but significance to con., however the margins of significance was less. It seems like the momentum was there, movies would come out either way even without the one in 1888.
Vote Placed by Clovis 2 years ago
Clovis
djones16warren42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to CON because PRO dropped a round. Arguments go to PRO because PRO gave a set of films that came out in 1999 that featured styles that would go onto define the genre. PRO wins in arguments because his arguments both defeate CON's rather weak argument that shows that 1888 is the best year for films (the first of something does not make it the best and generally the first of something are one of the worst) but also because CON failed to negate PRO's assertion in any meaningful way other than to toss out 1888 and say that the styles in the film's mentioned would go on to be overused. Overall very weak contention by CON.