TheRussian
64bithuman

2 equals 3

TheRussian

TheRussian

Pro

This debate will be more for fun that to actually prove that 2=3, but I just want to see where we can go with this. I will be arguing that 2 equals 3.

First Round is for acceptance.

Any questions will be answered in the comments.
64bithuman

Con

I accept the challenge!
TheRussian

Pro

Thanks for accepting. I do not genuinely believe that 2=3, but it's fun to play around with the numbers.
We start with the following equation:
(2-(5/2))^2 = (3-(5/2))^2
(Yes, those do equal each other, type it into a calculator if you don't believe me)

Now that we've established the validity of the above equation, you take the square root of both sides (removing the ^2) and the negative 5/2 "cancel out" on either side. You are left with 2=3.
64bithuman

Con

Being that I know did-squat about math, I'll be taking a different approach.

Obviously I already win, because 2 doesn't equal 3. They are empirically different numbers.

But that's unimportant to me. You see, 1, by the Greek Philosopher Plotinus, represents everything. As in, reality and existence.

2, on the other hand represents the duality of everything. 2 represents good and evil. In the bible, the ten commandments came on two tablets. God commanded two of every animal to come on the ark. 2 is a number of luck and prosperity in Chinese culture.

3 is by far the most important number here. Christians will know the father, the son, and the Holy Spirit, or Peter's triple denial and resulting triple affirmation in Christ, the Magi's three gifts, or devils temptation three times. There is the Hindu Trimurt and Tridevi, the triple Bodhi... the list is endless.

So, thereby I argue that 2 is not 3 mathematically or philosophically. Two, the duality, three the trinity form separate entities in religion and in philosophy.
Posted by 64bithuman 2 years ago
64bithuman
I used a bit of hyperbole....I know some stuff about math...
Posted by medv4380 2 years ago
medv4380
Calling your self 64 bit human and then claim that you know nothing about math. Really.
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
The comment section is a general soap box. I could be talking to a white Siberian tiger right now.
Posted by TheRussian 2 years ago
TheRussian
equation*
Posted by TheRussian 2 years ago
TheRussian
haha, no need to explain, I know the formula :P
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
Finally, the grand finale! The 1 then brings both formulas together, because that 1 is what leads both formulas to 0.50, yet on different math spectrums! (positive and negative)
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
If you did not catch it, let me explain it a bit further.

There's an interplay to this math formula.

As there is the: "2-2.50 = 0.50

3-2.50 = 0.50

2 leads to a negative 0.50

3 leads to a positive 0.50

As the difference between 3 and 2, is 1. The formula contains half of 1 (0.50)"

The math formula is legitimately two formulas in one formula, as one formula is interconnecting with another formula because they complete each other when you add both 0.50's, which equals 1, which is the difference between 3 and 2.
Posted by TheRussian 2 years ago
TheRussian
Umm....sure....
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
The only reason why the 2 was transposed into 0.50 and the 3 was transposed into 0.50 is because of this:

2-2.50 = 0.50

3-2.50 = 0.50

2 leads to a negative 0.50

3 leads to a positive 0.50

As the difference between 3 and 2, is 1. The formula contains half of 1 (0.50), so all the numbers played into each other because of their basic relations.

~Solved
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
Well, I know why they both equal 0.25. However, the title of your debate is "2 equals 3", which has nothing to do with the formulaic absurdity I explained in my last response.

The ^ changes the 3 into another 2, because the ^ is challenging the 3 as being half a number, but since the formula prevented it from having more math material to provide it with, the 3 declines to a 2. Therefore, it looks like they are two different formulas on the surface, but the ^2 is causing the 3 to fall back down to 2.
Vote Placed by LDPOFODebATeR0328 2 years ago
LDPOFODebATeR0328
TheRussian64bithumanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments still stands. @Con- How do you even lose this?
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
TheRussian64bithumanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro unrefuted.
Vote Placed by medv4380 2 years ago
medv4380
TheRussian64bithumanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was defiantly wrong, but he did present the better argument. The problem is actually a simple math problem. If Con was a child with no knowledge of math then I'd accept his answer. However, I cannot accept that answer for someone claiming to have a Bachelors and be nearly 30. Simple put the problem is in taking the Square Root. You can only do that operation if both sides happen to be the same sign, or Absolute value. The Simple way to disprove it is do actually do the math that taking the square root implies. You'll come to a point where 0.5^2 = -0.5^2. If you take the root as Pro did you'll end up with 0.5 = -0.5. But if you change it to 0.5 * 0.5 = -0.5 * -0.5 and do the division that taking the square root implies you'll still get a correct answer. The counter proof is too simple for me to accept the response Con gave for anyone with an education. And in the Age of Google simply doing a search for "2=3 proof" gives the solution on the first hit.
Vote Placed by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
TheRussian64bithumanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's mathematical proof that 2=3 was flawed. So even though Con did not refute it, he did not have to. Con also showed that 2=/=3 in philosophy.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
TheRussian64bithumanTied
Reasons for voting decision: 2 may not symbolize the same thing as 3 in philosophy, but this does not suggest that 2 =/= 3. As Pro's (fallicial) equation proved, 2 equals three mathematically