Thugnificent
JLephant

2012 Presidential Debate: Wily vs. Light

Started: 10/7/2010 Category: Arts

Thugnificent

Pro

Look around you, citizens. Your jobs have been shipped overseas, where they can be done more cheaply. Your standard of living has declined precipitously - your children will live a less comfortable life than your parents. Across the world, American soldiers give their lives, to fight a shadowy, faceless enemy - terrorism. Assuredly, it is an important struggle - but is the benefit really worth the life of your sons? For far too long, we the ordinary people have borne the burdens of our great society, while the elites sit in their ivory towers, twenty stories high. Elites like my opponent, Dr. Thomas Light. But enough about him for now - unlike he, I am interested merely in service: in solutions to the problems our nation faces. In fact, I have one plan to solve all our problems, one wonderful, simple plan: robots for all!

Why was your car assembled in Mexico out of parts made in Taiwan or Malaysia? Because the average Mexican wage is lower than that of the average American, and the average Taiwanese or Malaysian is paid less still. But you know who works for free? Robots. The robot wage will be 0, and so all those dollars that America sends over to Asia and Latin America and Europe will become euros and pesos and yen, all shipped over to the United States. We, America, will regain our former role as the world's factory, ensuring a steady stream of income.

"Wait, wait, wait, Dr. Wily wait!" you say. "If the robots are working, how will we be able to afford a decent life?" Well first, my friends, call me Albert. I am just the same as you. Second, the proceeds from the robot factories will be distributed freely amongst us all. Food, shelter, clothing - all the basics will be of course provided. But entertainment as well - I plan to create the world's largest network of closed circuit televisions, on which will be continuously broadcast entertaining and educational programs, free for everyone to enjoy! In this way, we the people will finally get our due - finally you will be freed of the burden of breaking your back for an oppressive system.

Finally, my plan will recall all human soldiers - they will be treated as heroes, every one of them. In their place, to protect vital American interests around the world - robots. Robots will fight for us, for you - robots to do the work you cannot. Robots to protect you, to guard you from harm. That is what the Wily Plan will get you.
JLephant

Con

Greeting esteemed citizens, friends, and family. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Dr. Thomas Light, a humble engineer with dreams of serving as your president of choice in the 2012 election. I am most pleased to be nominated for such office and promise to bring about a brighter future while reinforcing noble American values. Introductions aside, let us discuss what really matters most, and that is the state of our nation. My former colleague and friend, Dr. Wily brings about many excellent points regarding this matter that nearly all of us would surely find agreeable, however his solutions to these problems are inherently unrealistic as well as ethically compromising as I shall demonstrate during the course of this debate.

Perhaps most immediately relevant in the people's hearts and minds is the state of the economy. Dr. Wily offers a solution of replacing the American jobs we currently have at risk with his gambit of robotics and only robotics. Now, as a man of science I am certainly not opposed to the creation of robots. Heck folks, I've dedicated my entire life to the cause of finding a way to spare man from suffering the same fate as my father, who had worked the coal mines everyday until he met his grave. However, this is most assuredly not the only solution as it lacks real substance and forethought. Robots certainly do not work for free, they have a high cost of production as well as the energy it requires to run them (which brings questions of my opponent's lack of an energy policy). Instead, I propose to you that one, we use robots for simple functions the way we currently use tools to make the strain of hard labor easier and more efficient rather than a complete overhaul. Secondly, we should instead of dramatic overhaul of all current U.S. jobs, invest further into finding more sustainable sources of energy. Furthermore, my opponent makes an assumption that all robotics creation would only take place in American factories, which given a cursory glance at the international market it is easily seen that many countries currently have a foothold in this market already. This inherently only leaves two options for my opponent to take, importing parts and labor from other countries (thus biting his own critique of the current system) or instead attempting to feverishly control and revamp the current system to meet the immediate demands for the technology which is both improbable and implausible.

It s indeed in this same vein that we must question his motives entirely and clear desire for centralized power. Power that is centralized entirely to him, perhaps the most un-American cause imaginable. The implications behind this idea are even more troubling when further investigated as he seeks to take control over the entertainment industry as well, an industry dedicated towards the free expression of man, celebrating its creativity and basking in its variety. I ask you, is this a world you would wish to live in?

Regarding his education policy, which is clearly of little to no concern to him, relies on the spread of information that he alone would control and disseminate through his controlled closed circuit television system. It is not any stretch of the imagination that he would have our children taught by robots sooner than real human teachers, which while killing jobs also furthers his aspirations of control. My education plan, however, has a strong emphasis on increasing education in the very fields that my opponent shows keen interest in, namely, math, science, engineering, and robotics. My administration will not only seek out but will create the best and brightest minds the world has yet to see. Ask yourself, shall we rely on one man with lofty aspirations to save us all from troubling times, or will we look towards the strong character of man to work together to usher in a new future.

Finally, moving on to the idea of robot soldiers. First, I promise as your president I will pull our troops out of these senseless wars. In fact, I will be cutting the senseless spending on military ventures drastically to filter more money back into the economy whereas my opponent will only increase that debt through his, again, completely revamped and controlled robotic army. This is perhaps the most ethically problematic idea he has, instead of seeking out peace he would sooner send out killer drones to take the lives of many under the guise of your protection. These drones would lack the emotion to understand the true impact war has in the world. This detached view is not only how he chooses to live his own life but is further evidenced in his policies. We built this technology to take the death away, not create more of it. He would have you live a life of fear and comfort rather than integrity and civility because he underestimates the strength of your character, I, however, do not. I know we are strong, and we will only makes things right, together.
Thugnificent

Pro

People; my people. People of this great nation, my opponent has argued very well, for an applied scientist. But I believe his plans, his ideas, his view of human nature is fundamentally flawed; and I will answer his sophistries.

First, he attacks my economic plan. Machines, to labor for us, to make our nation strong again, machines to save our lives. He argues that robots have a high cost of production, and this will certainly be true, at first - but those first robots will go straight to the robot factory, and in so doing create their own successors. In this way the cost of robot production will be driven down. My opponent then says that I lack an energy policy. Well, it is true that, unlike him, I do not owe my entire livelihood to Big Coal. But it is correct that I have not articulated an energy policy distinct from our nation's previous one. Rather, I think our current policy is a good one - increased investment in renewables, greater efficiencies and conservation. Our current failure is a failure of capability, a failure of the human will. With metal hands, with iron will, we will usher in a new age of energy. Finally, my opponent alleges that robotics production must happen overseas, that we as Americans are somehow not capable of leading this bold new robotic age. Yet this is not so, as a cursory look at our great history will show. In every case, the country that originates a technology enjoys a substantial period of dominance before that technology spreads. For instance, computers were the sole province of the United States until very recently - we innovate, and then production moves offshore to the cheaper labor. That's where my plan comes in! Robots will ensure that our labor costs remain low, and as long as the innovators - that would be myself and the good doctor, and I certainly don't plan on going overseas - as long as the innovators remain in America, working for you all so that you all don't have to, then the means of robo-production will remain in America. And America will remain great.

As to my opponent's scurrilous implication that I desire unchecked central power, nothing could be further from the truth. I merely want to lift the burden from your brow, to let you live the life you want to live. Whether you want to work, or whether you want to relax, and enjoy your freedom, the freedom that I alone can offer you - there is room for everyone in the glorious robot future.

My opponent promises that he will pull our troops out of our current wars, and will drastically cut military spending. Those are good goals, as he would know because I already announced them in my first speech. Human lives are precious and irreplaceable, and so I would replace them with robot soldiers - a robot can be programmed for much less cost than a human can be trained. Furthermore, the robots would be equipped with the ultimate safety protocols - no robot will ever hurt a human being, unless there is no other option to protect your safety. Of course I deplore, and I'm sure my opponent will join me in so doing, of course I deplore any loss of human life. But sometimes, for the greater good, for the futures of our children, we must make these difficult choices.

I must give my opponent credit for his education plan. Math, science, and robo-engineering are indeed vital to our nation's future, and I would implement a special program, to seek out our best and brightest students and give them advanced, specialized training supervised personally by me. But while overall I think my opponent and I share common ground on education, I must take offense to his comment about robots "killing" human jobs. First, to me this smacks of anti-robot bigotry - I know that you, my great people, are better than that. But secondly, of course any human who still wants to teach will be allowed to. My plan is all about freedom - you have the freedom to work, but better you have the freedom from work. I cannot stress this enough - my opponent offers you a future of drudgery and penury. I offer you freedom and ease. The choice is clear.
JLephant

Con

My fellow citizens, while my opponent should be commended on having many ideas about the future, his arguments come from that of an idealist that suffers from a lack of applied science. This type of thinking, while useful in shaping basic outlines of policy, can only prove detrimental without logical conclusive thought.

Let us again re-examine the economic policies put forth. My opponent's dashing use of rhetoric has attempted to skirt even the most basic tenets of cost analysis. First, he admits to the high cost of initial production but then insists that the product will be entirely devoted to the creation of new robots by those very same robots. The most basic and fundamental questions immediately arise, what about material costs? Are we to assume these machines are never to break down or falter, requiring costly repairs? You can ask any scientist in the world and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who disagrees with the idea that more sophisticated technology inherently costs more revenue for start-up and repair. It is a simple fact of life that my opponent tries to ignore much like he does with having a solid energy plan.

He begins his attack on my energy plan with a vicious slander of me owing my livelihood to Big Coal. It is quite shocking that someone who I had considered a partner for so long would clearly not know a single thing about me, despite saying it in my previous speech. My father worked til the day he died in coal mines, and I have since dedicated my life to finding ways around that, Albert knows it, as do all of you by just looking at a cursory glance of my scientific history. Why is this such a big deal? Because friends, these type of nonconstructive attacks are the very definition of the short-sided thinking that Dr.Wily embodies. His plan is based on a complete overhaul of everything to be replaced by robotics while continuing the current path of energy as is? This is a concrete example of lofty ideas running away without logic. Contrast this to my plan which utilizes robotic technology as tools rather than the entire workforce itself. A simpler solution, based on incremental change backed by a more robust dedication towards new forms of energy and education in those fields.

Regarding my claim of overseas robotic production, my opponent again skirts the issue at hand. He discusses the idea that countries that originate technology enjoy dominance, however this misses the point again entirely. My initial critique of this plan is that robots are not new technology. A number of breakthroughs in the industry have come out of Japan already and much research has been done in parts of Europe as well. While the United States certainly has the capability to become a leader in this field (which I strongly advocate as evidenced by my education plan), it however will never have complete dominance in this field, nor is that something we should truly desire in the first place. America is a great nation on it's own, it does not need strangleholds on technology to stay that way, and this type of thinking is clearly detrimental in the long run as evidenced by the Cold War and nuclear proliferation in general. Furthermore, he contradicts himself in saying that our current shortcomings in the energy field are related to a failure of capability and failure of human will. Yet, he goes on to say assert we do have the capabilities to usher in a bold new robotic age. The contradictory nature of these statements is astounding. Looking deeper into the way he has phrased his argument based entirely on the innovations of himself and I. There is no true we in the world that Dr. Wily has presented to you and it is evidenced by each argument.

He does not argue that he wishes to devote more precious resources to creating machines of death and destruction. Dr. Wily chalks it up to the greater good, however this line of thinking is destructive in the long-term. Instead, why not from the very beginning create machines that promote peace and ease burdens while not detracting from freedom? The cryptic idea of machines that only hurt humans to "protect your safety" is inherently dangerous and further demonstrates rigid thinking based on determinations of morality created by Dr. Wily himself! His education plan further echoes this sentiment as he personally supervises the best and brightest rather than allowing them to grow on their own accord in a variety of different ways. Top this off with promises of freedom that in his own words "only he can provide" the evidence is surmounting of his desire for power and control.

Make no mistake my friends, you are already free! Do not confuse his promises for true freedom, as he seeks to place you in a world of comfort and docility that does not challenge the thinking mind. Aldous Huxley's very idea of the dystopian future was based on the idea that in such a world we would be reduced to passivity and egoism and here we stand at the very forefront of that reality. A world where man's appetite for distractions is constantly filled so as to stem any dissenting opinion. I do not offer you such a world, nor do I offer you one of drudgery. I offer you a view of the world that seeks to take the world to greater heights through collaborative thinking and promotion of peace among all nations. My opponent's world is that of the control. Look no further than the very ideas we have already contributed to the scientific community. I have given you Guts Man, a strong robot designed to lift heavy objects, work in mines and help in construction. He delivered to you Sniper Joe, a robot designed to kill exceptionally well. My work has been dedicated to creating robots that help in the civil service field, his work has been mainly militaristic. Truly, Dr. Wily has a brilliant mind that deserves recognition. However, that brilliance also tiptoes a fine line that is not fit for such heights as the president of a free nation.

I ask you noble people, please consider your options wisely, and consider me for your president. Thank you.
Thugnificent

Pro

Thugnificent forfeited this round.
JLephant

Con

*gazes back as Dr. Albert Wily sits humbly back in his chair, staring at the ground in silence. The audience looks onward at the clearly defeated man who's manipulations have been exposed.*

Friends, family, and dear citizens. Today has been a powerful and thought provoking day for myself, and I imagine for all of you as well. Whether you watched it here live, or are viewing from home on your television, or perhaps watching this on youtube days after... the evidence has become undeniable.

If this dead silence is indication of nothing of my opponent's true motives being exposed, let it at least be an indicator of his strength to confront adversity when challenged. He is not the man for the position of President of the Free World, for that reason as well as all the ones mentioned prior which he has failed to contend with. It is with this opportunity that I once again ask for your vote in this upcoming election. I have demonstrated my core beliefs in changing the way we live in America for the better, without sacrificing what allowed us to get to this point in the first place. I have outlined several plans for you that I hope to implement in the coming years if elected. I have demonstrated why these ideas are safer alternatives to those of my opponents as well as being more efficient in general.

With technology and the spirit of the American people we will usher in a new future where cities can be built in a day, and we will build towers that reach the heavens! We have waited so long for this day, where the death can finally be taken away! No son will ever have to say, that my father worked until his grave! Vote for what is good and right, Vote for Light!
Posted by Chrysippus 6 years ago
Chrysippus
I really enjoyed this debate. Bravo! Well done! Brilliant! :D

"As to my opponent's scurrilous implication that I desire unchecked central power, nothing could be further from the truth. I merely want to lift the burden from your brow, to let you live the life you want to live."

"must take offense to his comment about robots "killing" human jobs. First, to me this smacks of anti-robot bigotry - I know that you, my great people, are better than that."

I loved it.
Posted by WrathofGod 6 years ago
WrathofGod
"Our current failure is a failure of capability, a failure of the human will. With metal hands, with iron will, we will usher in a new age"

"Human lives are precious and irreplaceable, and so I would replace them with robot soldiers"

This just made my night. Im so proud that I know you guys in RL.
Posted by WrathofGod 6 years ago
WrathofGod
Megaman.....this is awesome.
Posted by Chrysippus 6 years ago
Chrysippus
This is awesome. Watching.
Vote Placed by Thugnificent 6 years ago
Thugnificent
ThugnificentJLephantTied
Vote Placed by WrathofGod 6 years ago
WrathofGod
ThugnificentJLephantTied
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 6 years ago
Chrysippus
ThugnificentJLephantTied
Vote Placed by JLephant 6 years ago
JLephant
ThugnificentJLephantTied