mable_sox
Korashk

3 years old is too old for a child to still use a sippy cup.

Korashk

mable_sox

Pro

First off this round is just the acceptance round. This is an informal debate. I just want to discuss this topic with anyone who is willing.
Korashk

Con

I thank my opponent for creating this debate.

Just to confirm the terms, I will be attempting to negate the resolution that three years old is too old for a child to use a sippy cup. I also ask that this debate be as semantics free as possible.
mable_sox

Pro

3 years old for a child to use a sippy cup is too old. At the age of 3 the most of all toddlers have all their baby teeth. Thus using a sippy cup can and will do harm to their teeth. Some people might say why not at the age of 2? Well, at the age of 2 the child is still learning how to use a cup properly and still make many messes. They also don't have all their teeth yet. I know this for a fact, because I have 3 years old nephew. I tried to get him to use a cup at the age of 2, but he was unable to complete that task successfully. Now, at the age if 3 he can use a regular cup, sometimes better then myself. To support that sippy cups hurt your teeth I will use an examples. I took my nephew to the dentist for his check up. The dentist said that all toddlers should be off the bottle at the age of 1 and off the sippy cup by the child's 3 birthday. He said that using a sippy cup for a pro longed time will harm your teeth, and can teeth problems later on down the road. Now to the messes the child can make with these cups. Yes, there are sippy cups out there that claim to be "Spill Proof". Well, every cup that I have bought my nephew he has found a way to make it break or spill. So, there is not really a sippy cup out there that won't make a mess. You might say that using a regular cup will also make a mess. Well, yes that is true, but people as adults still make a mess with a regular cup. You will have a less mess if you teach the child to use the regular cup properly. This will also cut down on spending your money for the over priced sippy cups. When you could use the cups that you use. Also, by letting the child use a regular cup this will give them a sense of responsibility, thus will lead onto more good things to come in their childhood.
Korashk

Con

I thank my opponent for her response and look forward to the debate. I will start off with some definitions:

Child - a young person of either sex, for the purposes of this debate I will be considering a child to be anyone that has not yet reached puberty.
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

Sippy Cup - The sippy cup is a spill-proof drinking cup designed for toddlers. It works by way of surface tension that prevents liquid from being spilled even when the cup is upended. The critical element is the sippy top being firmly in place on top of the cup, preventing spills.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sippy_cup
~

Rebuttals:

///At the age of 3 the most of all toddlers have all their baby teeth. Thus using a sippy cup can and will do harm to their teeth.///

I have found no evidence that suggests that this point is true. All of the criticism that I can find of sippy cups is about the kinds of drinks that are put in them and the improper way that they are cleaned [1]. These drinks are mainly sugary drinks that cause infantile cavities. This damage is not because of the cup, but the drinks and cleaners, these reasons can not be used as a negative of the cup itself.
~

///I know this for a fact, because I have 3 years old nephew.///

This sentence and the eight that follow it are all arguments coming from personal experience that I am unable to counter. These claims are also unsubstantiated. I could sit here and say that I had toast with jam for breakfast today. You have no reason to think that I am lying, but there is also no way currently for you to confirm this claim. Therefore an unsubstantiated argument from personal experience should be disregarded.
~

///So, there is not really a sippy cup out there that won't make a mess.///

I ask my opponent to take a look st the short video that I have provided. It is of a baby using a sippy cup that does not spill even when she throws it.
~

Arguments:

My only argument is the question of why shouldn't a child use a sippy cup? You claim that they all make messes, a statement that I have dis-proven. I see no objective reason to support the claim that simply using a sippy cup is detrimental to any child. You say that it gives children a sense of responsibility, but does it really? I seriously doubt that anyone felt accomplished the first time that they used an open-topped cup.

[1] http://www.iloveindia.com...
[2] Video
mable_sox

Pro

mable_sox forfeited this round.
Korashk

Con

Darn, I extend all of my argument and urge a Con vote.
Posted by True2GaGa 7 years ago
True2GaGa
Hell, I still have a sippy cup that i drink from time to time.
Posted by True2GaGa 7 years ago
True2GaGa
One of my little sisters is 3 and she still uses a sippy cup.
Posted by xxdarkxx 7 years ago
xxdarkxx
RFD:
Conduct: Pro forfited round
Spelling and grammer: Both have some errors
Arguments: Pro mainly uses personal based arguments which can not be refuted, ones that were not personal based con disproved
Sources: Pro did not even use any sources
Posted by mable_sox 7 years ago
mable_sox
Sorry, I just had a family member past away, and I was unable to post my argument.
Posted by mable_sox 7 years ago
mable_sox
Well, I take care of a 3 year old and I see everyday people that have kids older than him using a sippy even a pacifier. I just wanted to voice my thoughts.
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
A debate of this importance has never graced this site before.
Vote Placed by y0ungDuB 7 years ago
y0ungDuB
mable_soxKorashkTied
Vote Placed by xxdarkxx 7 years ago
xxdarkxx
mable_soxKorashkTied
Vote Placed by Kahvan 7 years ago
Kahvan
mable_soxKorashkTied
Vote Placed by mable_sox 7 years ago
mable_sox
mable_soxKorashkTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
mable_soxKorashkTied