Superboy777
BlackVoid

42 is the answer to life the universe and everything

BlackVoid

Superboy777

Pro

As one can obviously see, this is not meant to be a serious debate but merely a reference to "A hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy". To make this debate more fair, my opponent will choose a number of their choice other than 42 that is the answer to life the universe and everything. They must defend their choice. If they do not choose a number, they automatically forfeit. No evidence may be given in the first round to give your number beneficial information nor may any rebuttals be given to refute your opponent. "Evidence" only is presented in Round 2 and rounds after can have evidence and rebuttals. Also, you can have some fun with this debate, try to be comical but make your number seem special. Have fun! :)
BlackVoid

Con

Much thanks to pro for starting an interesting debate.

I will argue that 1 is the Answer. You can start.
Superboy777

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I look forward to his points.

I have three arguments on why 42 is the meaning of life. One will be given for each round. First, if one enters "the answer to life the universe and everything" without quotation marks on Google, and Bing, the result that one gets is 42.
http://www.google.ca...=

http://www.bing.com...=

When one enters simple or complicated arithmetic expressions, the result is also given.(on Google and Bing) I have checked some of these equations and Google and Bing does get them right. Logically following, if Google AND Bing agrees with me that the answer to life, the universe and everything would be 42, who could possibly dispute that? An online search engine that provides services to millions of people is stating that 42 is in fact the the answer to life the universe and everything. :) I rest my case. I look forward to my opponent's points on why 1 is that the answer to life the universe and everything and remind him that he cannot refute my points until the next round. Good Luck!
BlackVoid

Con

To follow my opponent's format, I will also give one reason each round as to why 1 is the Answer.

1. All other numbers are encompassed by 1. If 1 did not exist, there could be no other numbers, as every other number except 0 is really just a compilation of 1's. Therefore, if indeed a number is the answer to life, the universe, and everything, it would have to be 1.

I will make a comparison to a god. For something to be a god, it must be the very first thing created and nothing must come before it. Likewise, for something to be the ultimate answer to life, etc, it must be the first one and not rely on any other number to exist. The only thing that fits this description is 1, as it is a prerequisite to all other numbers.

I await my opponent's response.
Superboy777

Pro

I thank my opponent for his interesting point.
First the rebuttals.

My opponent's logic is that since 1 makes up every number except zero, logically following it must be the answer to life, the universe and everything. As I have interpreted it, he is saying that every number is a compilation of 1's and thus if a number were to be the answer, then it would surely be 1. However, I offer a simple analogy to disprove his point. Thousands of years ago, all the materials needed for the Industrial Revolution or any other current device was already present. These materials, since they make up nearly everything in our life now, can be compared to a 1. On the other hand, a chair made of wood is not the same as a piece of wood. 42 made be made of ones but on the other hand, that does not logically mean that 1 would be the answer to life as opposed to 42.

While this may seem philosophical, my opponent's comparison has some logic holes in it. Who made God? Can he really be the first thing created. We define created as "1. Bring (something) into existence: "he created a lake"; "170 jobs were created"."
http://www.google.ca...|en&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xF_5TPDzEue6nAfmvoizCQ&ved=0CBoQmwMoAA
While this is slightly off-topic, I believe it requires some consideration. Anyways, I ask my opponent to cite a source proving that 1 was the first number to come into existence and not some other random number such as 42. 42 does not rely on 1 to exist because 42 is its own number. It is not called 42 1's.

To my second point, it is known that the ultimate question from Author's subconscious is "What do you get if you multiply six by nine"

If one uses base 13, one does indeed get 42. Also, the world's bet supercomputer at the tjime Deep Thought came up with the answer of 42. While I do not exactly know how he or she was led to that answer, I know that the supercomputer is probably smarter than the average human by around 999999999999999999999999999999999 times. So, I choose to place my trust with them. I ask my opponent to cite a source claiming that 1 is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

PS to my opponent, have fun!
BlackVoid

Con

Can you explain the base 13 argument?
Superboy777

Pro

I understand my opponent's accident and the explanation of the base 13 argument has been put in the comments section if one does not understand. I have nothing to refute. Another way that 42 is the result of 6*9 is the following.

Six equals 1 + 5.
Nine equals 8+1.
So six * nine equals 1+5 * 8+1.
5*8 = 40.
1+40+1 = 42, the meaning of life.

http://www.jayssite.com...

Also 42 is a sphenic number, a Catalan number and is bracketed by twin primes.
There are many very special things about the number 42, it is also what you get if you add the total of two dice. 42 as I have demonstrated is the meaning of life and everything if one checks the Google calculator, Bing calculator and many other search engines. In essence, our lives are so dependent on search engines because they provide accurate and relevant information. 42 is given as the answer to life the universe and everything. Why shouldn't we trust it?

Secondly, 42 is the answer given by Deep Thought the universe's best supercomputer at the time. This supercomputer cannot find the answer but only the question. I choose to listen to that supercomputer. As I cannot refute any more points my opponent says (except comment section), I choose to ask him to prove that one is the first number in existence, and that one does not rely on any other number to exist. I also ask my opponent to answer "I ask my opponent to cite a source claiming that 1 is the answer to life, the universe and everything.". I have given quite a few during this debate.

All and all, this debate was a blast and I hope my opponent has a good 2nd point.

PS I'm not going to ask anyone to vote any side because after reading a lot of debates I found that really annoying.

:)
BlackVoid

Con

Much thanks to pro for finishing.

I will refute his arguments against mine, refute his points, and give mine.

To refute 1 being a prerequisite to all other numbers, he uses an example about a chair being made of wood not being a piece of wood, thus 42 is not 1. I agree, this is pretty obvious. I never said 1 was the same thing as 42. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that the chair is made up of wood, and that 42 is made up on 1's. So, in order to be the Answer, it must not depend on anything else to exist, just like the chair cannot be because it depends on wood, and 42 cant be because it depends on 1.

Then he argues that we dont know that 1 was the first number created. However I have already showed you how no other number can exist without 1, because that is what makes up every number. Sine 1 is the only number that can exist independently, it must logically be the first number created, since nothing else can exist without it. The well respected mathematical journal, Wikipedia, (1) proves this. "One is the *first* non-zero number in the natural numbers as well as the *first* odd number in the natural numbers." The FIRST. Wikipedia says it, beat that.

Furthermore, even if you dont buy that, my opponent as the instigator has the burden of proof to prove to you that 42 was indeed the first number. He hasnt done that, so this isn't an offensive argument anyway.

Then he says 42 doesn't rely on 1 because 42 is its own number and is not called 42 1's. However, that doesn't change the fact that is is made up of 1's. We dont call it 42 1's because that is unnecessarily long. 42 may be its own number, but thats only because there are enough 1's to allow it to exist anyway. Using my opponent's chair example, the chair may be its own object but it still has a wood component.

Now onto his reasons 42 is the Answer.

1. He says Google and Bing have 42 as the answer. However, if you ask the Question in other search engines, such as Ask or Yahoo, you do not get an exact calculation and instead only get blogs and the like made by misguided people as to what the answer is. This shows you that not every search engine agrees on what the answer is and that it is still up for debate. Furthermore, if you ask the question at Dogpile.com, which is a combination of Google and Bing, you also do not get an exact calculation. So even those 2 my opponent listed aren't 100% sure.

2. He says on base 13, 6x9 = 42. However, my opponent, again having the burden of proof, must show you why we should look to this base 13 rather than the base 10 we all actually use on a daily basis. But he never says why we should prioritize base 13 over 10, so this is irrelevant.

Then he says Deep Thought came up with the answer as 42. However, if you have any knowledge of the book, you know that Deep Thought only came up with 42 because the question was not specific enough to specify the meaning of the question. This implies its more important to ask the right questions rather than get the right answers. In other words, the book says that Deep Thought did not interpret the correct meaning of the question. Thus, it gave a wrong answer.

Finally he says 6 = 1+5 times 9 = 1 + 8 times root 3/2 divided by 86 halves squared, equaling the cube of 963 thirds over the square root of 74,369....point 5.

But again, my opponent is simply twisting all numbers associated with 6 and 9 to get numbers he wants. I can do this to get 1. Ex: 6 = 4 + 2. 9 = 3 + 6. Using FOIL, 4 x 3 x 6 x (2 x 3) x (2 x 6) = 16 to the 19th power (thank god for calculators). 19 - 16 = 3. 3 = 2 + 1. 2/1 = 2. 2 = 1+1. 1/1 = 1. Thus, 6 times 9 is 1. Great success!

That shows you that by twisting numbers around like my opponent is doing, you an get any number you want. Thus, six times nine is not an adequate way to determine the Answer.

He also asks me to provide a source saying 1 is the Answer. However, some things are so obvious that sources are unnecessary, and thus impossible to find. For instance, if you go to Google and type in "Am I on a computer", you will get no results that have anything to do with that question. This is because the answer is so overwhelmingly obvious that nobody bothered to answer it. Likewise, sources are not posted saying 1 is the Answer because we feel it is unnecessary to post things that everyone should know. Furthermore, logical reasoning is just as powerful as a source. I do not need to look up 1 + 1 on a calculator, we can find that out ourselves, just like we have found out through logical reasoning that 1 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Now I will finish my points.

1 is the Answer because of mathematical alphabetics. If you assign numbers to the letters of Answer (since that is what we have referred to the answer to life, the universe, and everything as), then you get 1(14)(19)(23)(5)(18). First of all, Answer begins with A, which translates to 1. Then, if you line the numbers up sequentially, you get 1, 5, 14, 19,18, and 23. Again, the first number is 1. But that's not all. Four of the six numbers begin with 1! So the majority of the Answer is made up of 1's. When the number 1 is dominating the existence of the word Answer, it must be the Answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Finally, 1 is the dominating number of our culture.

We have one life.
We have one brain.
We have one house (unless you're John McCain. But that is also *1* person)
There is one interweb.
Debate.org is 1 website.
We have one...no, I wont go there.
The letter "I" refers to ourselves. "I" is similar in appearance to 1. This means we are also similar to 1.
My opponent has given one argument each round.
Finally, there is only one Answer.

So when 1 is the dominating number of so many things, how can it not be the Answer?

So in short, 1 is a prerequisite to all other numbers, makes up the word Answer, and is the most prevalent number in the world. Thats why I urge you to vote for one.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by devobd 4 years ago
devobd
Just like to add something about why 42 is the number too life

The answer to life, universe and everything...That's (4) you (2) decide.

pretty sure that was the authors point
Posted by zach12 6 years ago
zach12
42 is my number in football, so go pro!
Posted by Superboy777 6 years ago
Superboy777
lol
Posted by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
Holyshit, this debate was created 6 days ago. 6 days ago was the 42nd in the Discordian calendar.

EPIC
Posted by Superboy777 6 years ago
Superboy777
3 rd round mishap

but meh
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Why would I lose conduct though? I make an effort in all of my debates to appear nice and not aggressive.

I wont say who I think won because either way its bad. If I say you won, it encourages people to vote for you, and if I say I won, people think I'm selfish and will vote against me. I would like to win, as everyone does, so I have to refrain.
Posted by Superboy777 6 years ago
Superboy777
lol

u might lose conduct though?

but who do u think won?
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
I typically hate math but this was awesome. Epic number twisting.
Posted by gizmo1650 6 years ago
gizmo1650
I never thought i would see a place where abstract algebra would have relevance.
Posted by Qynze 6 years ago
Qynze
Unique debate! Love the philosophical touch.
Vote Placed by home_of_the_brave 6 years ago
home_of_the_brave
Superboy777BlackVoidTied
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
Superboy777BlackVoidTied