Fluer
EPRdebate

60's Rock

Fluer
Started: 1/29/2012 Category: Arts

Fluer

Con

Each round my opponent and I will submit a rock song from 1960-1969 with a video link and a short description of the song.
House of the Rising Sun by The Animals

This song was released on the 18th June, 1964 by British "blues-inspired rock" band The Animals. This song was not written by The Animals, it was apparently taken from an old English folk song then brought to America and reworded. The reason this rendition deserves a place as one of the best 60's rock songs was mainly due to lead singer Eric Burdon's gorgeously gruff vocals. This really was proved when it topped both the UK and US charts when it was first released. It was also reissued in '72 reaching 25 in the charts and then again in '82 where it reached No 11.
EPRdebate

Pro

Written by Bob Dylan for his albumn John Wesley Harding (Released in 1967)
Bob Dylan's recording is overshadowed by that of the great Jimi Hendrix' who's always stunning guitar preformance, coupled with his incredible eye for musical detail gave birth to a song that has stood the test of time, remaining a monument to the talent of both Hendrix and Dylan

• The song has been covered multiple times by the likes of Neil Young U2 and Grateful dead.

• The meaning of the song is questionable, and reminiscent of certain bible passages

• Hendrix' version of the song made no 48 on rolling stone's top 500 songs of all time.

Fluer

Con

For this round I choose Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones.

It was released in the album Beggars Banquet on 6th December 1968. Mostly the work of Mick Jagger, with Keith Richards helping out, it helped gain them a reputation amongst religious groups that the band members were deveil worshippers. This was largely overshadowed when the song "Street Fighting Man" become more contentious in light of the "race riots" and student protests that were happening in America at that time. The song was most famously covered by Guns and Roses in '94 where it reached number 55 on the Billboard Hot 100. The original reached number 32 on the Rolling Stone magazine' list the greatest 500 Songs of all Time. Even amongst the controversy the album went platinum after selling 1 million copies.
EPRdebate

Pro

The Kinks - You really got Me - 1964

The third single to be released by the kinks, You Really Got Me features on the bands debut album; The Kinks (also known as 'You really Got Me' in america). This great song has had a dramatic effect on the development of hard rock and heavy metal, often said to be the foundation of all heavy metal music.
  • The song went through multiple recordings, in many different styles before being released
  • The song has recieved much praise over the years, it was placed at no. 82 on rolling stones 500 greatest songs of all time, got to number 9 in a bbc poll on the 100 greatest guitar songs of all time, and got to no. 7 in the american pop singles charts.
  • There is a well known rumor that the guitarist who played the solo in 'you really got me' was infact Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, though he denies the claims.

Fluer

Con

My next choice is My Generation by The Who.

This definitely has to be one of my favourite clips. It is a section from the film The Kids are Alright and it really shows just how mad the band were. The legendary Keith Moon, who died after taking 32 Hemineverin tablets, managed to get himself and The Who banned from multiple hotel chains after he caused so much damage flushing bombs down toilets. However the band benefited greatly in publicity from "Mad Moon's" antics which even legends such as Jimmy Hendrix tried to copy. The song itself was written for the British "Mods" and became one of their most recognisable songs. When it was released on 5th November 1965 it also became their highest charting single in Britain when it reached No 2 in the charts. It also appears in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll and was placed at No 11 in the Rolling Stone list of 500 Greatest Rock Songs. "My Generation" is a legendary song from a legendary band that really defined British Rock in the 1960's.
EPRdebate

Pro

Originally written by Jake Holmes in 1967, and then covered by the Yardbirds, dazed and confused went on to become very well known when it was covered by led zeppelin in 1969. This song demonstrates both incredible guitar playing by Jimmy Page and Excellent vocals by robert plant, it's fast heavy guitar solo is also worth mentioning as having an influence on later guitar solos by heavy metal and rock bands. The original writer; Jake homes, attempted to sue led zeppelin over rights to the song in 2010, though plant claimed in the past that he had changed enough of the song to escape plagiarism laws. The court case was dropped. The song was featured in the rock and roll hall of fame's 500 songs that shaped rock and roll.
Fluer

Con

Fluer forfeited this round.
EPRdebate

Pro

EPRdebate forfeited this round.
Fluer

Con

Fluer forfeited this round.
EPRdebate

Pro

EPRdebate forfeited this round.
Posted by EPRdebate 5 years ago
EPRdebate
Sorry I forgot the link
Posted by EPRdebate 5 years ago
EPRdebate
Though you already took one of my favorite 1960's songs.
Posted by EPRdebate 5 years ago
EPRdebate
Nice and informal, I like that I will post a song shortly.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Interesting format
Posted by Fluer 5 years ago
Fluer
its not really a debate it's just a challenge you will find many of them on here.
Yes I know they do but I did specify a short description.
Posted by PeterO 5 years ago
PeterO
I don't understand what it is that you wish to debate. I can't disagree with your statements about either the song or the band. Your narrative is a bit sparse because both the song and the band have a far far richer and deeper influence than what you write about.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
FluerEPRdebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: She had better song vids. How do I describe?