imabench
calculatedr1sk

95% of active men members on DDO would make terrible husbands if they ever got married

imabench

imabench

Pro

I am pro the resolution, con is against the resolution.

1st round acceptance only

calculatedr1sk

Con

I accept. Good luck, sir!
imabench

Pro

Reasons why 95% of male members on DDO would make terrible husbands should they get married

1) Most guys on DDO are nerds

This is just a general fact....

2) Most guys on DDO dont do well with the ladies....

This is also a general fact.....

3) To be in a successful marriage, the guy has to let the woman be right even when shes not.

To be in a successful marriage, the husband has to let the woman win a large majority of the fights and arguments even when shes wrong otherwise the marriage wont last.

This is the main evidence for why most men on DDO would make sh*tty husbands, BECAUSE ALMOST EVERYONE ON DDO IS STUBBORN AS HELL AND WILL FIGHT TO THE END OF THE EARTH TO WIN AN ARGUMENT RATHER THEN JUST LET IT GO, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY THINK THEY ARE RIGHT.

Seriously, when was the last time you ever heard someone on DDO say 'Youre right, im wrong'? Lets face it, youve NEVER heard someone say that on here ever.

Successful marriages require that the husband be willing to concede/give up several times in arguments even when the woman is wrong, but men on DDO are clearly incapable of conceding an argument when they know they are right! Therefore should guys on DDO get married, many of them will not be able to concede arguments to their wife which will sooner or later cause the marriage to fail

Therefore the resolution is affirmed.

calculatedr1sk

Con

I first want to make a note the profound ambitiousness of my opponent’s resolution.

He did not resolve at least 95%.

He did not resolve approximately 95%.

He did not resolve the majority of DDO members

He resolved 95% of DDO members will make terrible husbands.

What this means for voters is that it is only in the case that he is able to demonstrate the probability is equal to 95% that he has upheld his BoP. 96% just won’t do, nor will 94%, nor 99%. It has to be 95% for a Pro win.

1) Most guys on DDO are nerds

Okay, on this point you’re right, and I’m wrong, honey.

2) Most guys on DDO don’t do well with the ladies

Given point 1, this seems highly unlikely for the long run. Many DDO members are in their teens, and during that time, it is true that nerds may sometimes end up inconveniently stuffed a locker. But over time, intelligence skews attractiveness dramatically in our favor. Many pickup artists were once nerds. After learning female psychology, behavioral conditioning, and other techniques, these men have learned how to make themselves nearly irresistible to almost any woman they choose. One such man, Neil Strauss (aka Style) wrote a book called The Game which describes his experiences and transformation. He has since trained countless others. [1]

Pro incorrectly frames the conditions of successful marriage. Here is what one popular website defined as some of the tips to a successful marriage: [2]

Speak Up. In a healthy relationship, if something is bothering you, it’s best to talk about it instead of holding it in.

Respect Your Partner. Your partner's wishes and feelings have value. Let your significant other know you are making an effort to keep their ideas in mind. Mutual respect is essential in maintaining healthy relationships.

Compromise. Disagreements are a natural part of healthy relationships, but it’s important that you find a way to compromise if you disagree on something. Try to solve conflicts in a fair and rational way.

Be Supportive. Offer reassurance and encouragement to your partner. Also, let your partner know when you need their support. Healthy relationships are about building each other up, not putting each other down.

Respect Each Other’s Privacy. Just because you’re in a relationship, doesn’t mean you have to share everything and constantly be together. Healthy relationships require space.

For these reasons, it seems likely that DDO experience could in fact promote males to be more articulate, more respectful, more interesting, and all around better husbands than the average male later in life. But the important thing for voters to notice is that there has been no good reason to think they’d be any worse, and especially not at the 95% my opponent needs it to be.

1)

2) http://www.loveisrespect.org...

imabench

Pro

- Wording of the Resolution:

"He did not resolve at least 95%. He did not resolve approximately 95%. He did not resolve the majority of DDO members… He resolved 95% of DDO members will make terrible husbands. What this means for voters is that it is only in the case that he is able to demonstrate the probability is equal to 95% that he has upheld his BoP. 96% just won’t do, nor will 94%, nor 99%. It has to be 95% for a Pro win."

^ You see this? You see this???? This is EXACTLY what im talking about!

You see how douchebaggy the con made his argument just so that he can do everything in his power to win it even though its a completely minor debate? This is clear evidence that most guys on DDO would make terrible husbands should they ever marry. Literally the 95% thing was a figure of speech yet con jumped on it and abused the hell out of it JUST to improve his arguments....

That alone shows that my arguments have merit....

- Most guys on DDO dont do well with the ladies

" But over time, intelligence skews attractiveness dramatically in our favor"

Hey voters. When was the last time you ever saw a girl go with the average looking smart guy and not the gorgeous looking douchbaggy idiot?

Exactly.

This is an unsupported claim that has no scientific backing or any evidence implying it is true.

- To be in a successful marriage, the guy has to let the woman be right even when shes not.

"Pro incorrectly frames the conditions of successful marriage. Here is what one popular website defined as some of the tips to a successful marriage"

Its my debate and I defined the conditions of a successful marriage as letting the woman be right even when shes not. Therefore your argument is completely invalid, especially since you actually asked the internet for tips to having a successful marriage, which indicates that you dont know how to have a successful marriage, like most other guys on DDO.

=============================================================

The simple fact is that guys will do anything to win an argument even if its minor, just look at how hard con is trying to win! Abusing the hell out of the wording of the resolution? Redefining conditions after they had already been defined? Actually giving sources in a troll debate???? All of cons effort he put into his arguments are evidence that men on DDO are incapable of letting others be right even when they are not, which is a staple of a successful marriage.

Therefore roughly all male members on DDO would make terrible husbands should they ever get married since almost everyone on DDO is stubborn as hell and will fight to the end of the Earth to win a minor argument rather than just let it go, especially when they think they are right.
calculatedr1sk

Con

Let me tell you what Pro’s last round sounded like to me.

“I’m imabench, self-proclaimed king of the trolls, and so I always get to be the one that wins! So stop winning! Waaaaaaa!”

Why imabench thinks he can invade serious realms with trolling, but seriousness cannot invade his realm is fascinating. Tell me more about how wrong it is for me to troll the trolls. [1]

My opponent has only managed to provide evidence that I am a douchebag. Consider his very next point, “When was the last time you ever saw a girl go with the average looking smart guy and not the gorgeous looking douchbaggy idiot?” My opponent accuses me of douchebaggery, but then correlates douchebaggery with success with women. Thanks! As it happens, women do like confident smartass guys who (gently) razz on them both to make them laugh and to establish dominance. If your preferred term for this is “douchebag” – cool, I’ll take it! The “gorgeous” part is helpful but not necessary. You can be as ugly as you want, if you’re cool enough. Consider this homely nobody who is hooked up with Emma Rossum. Notice them laughing and smiling, an important part of his game. [2] [3]

At any rate, Pro is committing two fallacies which invalidate his argument.

First, ad hominem. However annoying he or anyone else thinks I may be, this does not do damage to any of my arguments.

Second, hasty generalization. I think this is pretty evident that he doesn’t know all active DDO members well enough to proclaim we’re almost all bad husbands. He hasn’t seen us in bed (aside from a few alleged stalking incidents).

Additionally, Pro claims definitions as being binding without both parties agreeing to them. I only agreed to debate the resolution. What it takes to achieve marital bliss is still open to contention, and so contend I did.

Vote Con!

1) http://cdn.meme.li...

2) http://ic.pics.livejournal.com...

3) http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...

Posted by makhdoom5 3 years ago
makhdoom5
i agree with imabench.
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
I cant make my arguments TOO serious otherwise its not really a joke debate :P
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
I'm still surprised the key piece of evidence wasn't "look how many disappear at the first sign of trouble!"
Posted by calculatedr1sk 3 years ago
calculatedr1sk
So it turns out I had inadvertently left this debate open on the computer screen when I left for work this morning and my fiance read it. She thought I won hands down, and in the big picture her vote is the only one that matters to me. But I want to extend a "thank you" just the same for those of you who took the time to read and judge.

(douchebaggery translation: I'm still a winner who is marrying my nerd hottie, and you little punks can't do anything about it ;p)
Posted by CornCob 3 years ago
CornCob
sounds reasonable but consider

Nerd armed with logic and pride confronted with mammalian protuberances coupled with a cute butt playing the "whos got your sugar" game...
i know what i think will happen
lol

an almost joke
95 percent of the guys in the world to a coworker thats refuses to make sense "its not rocket science man"
rocket guy to a coworker that refuses to make sense "good god man its not talking to a girl"
Posted by Kumquatodor 3 years ago
Kumquatodor
I saw this debate and figured it would be some Feminazi garbage. *looks at who stared the debate* *sees it was imabench*
*sits back and enjoys*
Posted by justin.graves 3 years ago
justin.graves
Ragnar... LOL...

Also, I am affiliated with a girl and am an OK dude... Could I be in the 5%?
Posted by Overkill 3 years ago
Overkill
Personally I could agree pro or con in this case. Very situational being as there are the chivalrous members or those who wish to be more chivalrous (such as myself) and then there are the hotheads on the other end of the spectrum (& everything in-between).
Posted by TULIP 3 years ago
TULIP
Mmm I have my suspicions on quite a few but the others I think would make fine gentlemen/husbands.. (FYI, not stating who either)..
Posted by Maikuru 3 years ago
Maikuru
That statistic is largely why tulle settled for me.
Vote Placed by Subutai 3 years ago
Subutai
imabenchcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter Overkill. I'll buy that pro had worse S&G, but he gives no justification for the conduct point and arguments points, and misunderstood the source points in this debate (see xXCryptoXx's vote), but the latter voter shouldn't have given pro the source points as he didn't provide any. These points should be a tie, and I'm curious why he voted the way he did after his RFD.
Vote Placed by Overkill 3 years ago
Overkill
imabenchcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con held his composure, proper syntax and provided well-thought arguments and had the decency to provide demonstrative sources.
Vote Placed by TULIP 3 years ago
TULIP
imabenchcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both did a great job defending their positions. But Pro did a well fine job with his arguments and made good points so he gets points for convincing arguments.
Vote Placed by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
xXCryptoXx
imabenchcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: Source points don't work like that Tulip. ^^ Pro didn't post any sources because he didn't have to, this doesn't mean that Con gets source points just because he posted a link.
Vote Placed by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
imabenchcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm truly lost for words, do I vote for the not 94, not 96, but it has to be 95% argument or do I take imabenchs side and sympathize that it's a devious tactic used by Con to ensure Pro can't win,........ I'm going to by pass that and vote Pro for arguments because he at least thought of good reasons why debaters hardly ever concede arguments Making it almost impossible for a man to live with a woman. Con never offered his own thoughts to rebuttal to this problem but quoted from a source which I found un-original for a joke debate. Also the rebuttal is not directly acquainted with the DDO members other than offering advise on how to stabalize a happy relationship.
Vote Placed by Fictional_Truths1 3 years ago
Fictional_Truths1
imabenchcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con rather childishly played with language with the 95% thing, which ultimately proved imabenches point.
Vote Placed by ClassicRobert 3 years ago
ClassicRobert
imabenchcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not prove the 95%, which Con was quick to show.
Vote Placed by Guy_D 3 years ago
Guy_D
imabenchcalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: I just figured that new members skipped the age selection in their profile. After being here for a couple weeks... I now realize many members are indeed pretty young. As for the resolution, and I speak from experience from hanging out at similar sites, spending too much time at such sites can be destructive to a marriage. Cut the lawn?... I'll cut the lawn later. Repair the leaky faucet?... I'm busy on the computer. Walk the dog?... When I finish writing a reply to some internet argument. I might as well disclose that I am no longer married.