JawnLife
dukej11

9mm is better than the 38 special

JawnLife

JawnLife

Pro

The 38 special is know to be the "king of kings" as compared to the 9mm round, but this is a popular misconception. The 9mm round is smaller in length as compared to the 38 special, but in this case bigger isn't always better. The 9mm has 3x the ammo capacity and nearly double the amount of energy when fired. The extra energy makes the 9mm travel faster and has a better stopping power than the 38 special. The 9mm is superior to the 38 special.
dukej11

Con

In the context of which type of bullet is better, I believe that the 38 special is easily better that the 9mm because it has more uses for a more wide variety of tasks. In the aspect of self-defense I would definitely favor the 38 special because the pellets that come out of the cap of the bullet are in most cases non-lethal unless you are at short range. I believe you shouldn't kill a human being unless you're in a life or death situation. This prevents you from having to live with the guilt of knowing that you killed a himan being. This also prevents trauma that can come commonly, when you kill a human being. Another good aspet of the 38special is that if you are trying to protect your home at night, you donn't have to worry about the bullets going into other rooms and potentially injuring someone unintended. Another plus is for the times when you're encountered with snakes. I am an inhabitant of Alabama, and I go fishing quite often. Most areas that you fish in, in Alabama are ponds or lakes, and in the prime fishing time, which is Summer, the snakes like to come out into the sun to get warmth. The snakes can come by you essentially unnoticed, and with this special shot you have a much better chance to hit the snake before it comes too close. This is why some people call the 38 special snake shot. Basically, this special shot is all around more useful in the harmful events that can sometimes occur. This is why i urge you to vote in negation of the resolution.
JawnLife

Pro

In the case of defending your home, both rounds will do their part if the shooter does his/her part. In most cases, if you're going to fire your weapon you are going to shoot to kill. What you don't have to worry about are unintended casualties because most hollow point rounds have controlled expansion. For those who don't know what this is, controlled expansion means that the bullet has been engineered to expand at a controlled rate so that it can meet the penetration needed, without over penetrating. This eliminates the worry of the round exiting the body. The FBI recommends that a round should have between 12 to 15 inches of penetration for it to be a good self defense cartridge. Even the lightest 9mm load can meet the penetration requirement and moreover, pack a better punch than the 38 special while doing it. There are many different types of 9mm rounds and one of them is the Shot Shell round. This round serves same purpose as the 38 special shot shell (aka "snake shot").
Let's face it, a revolver which can hold 5-6 rounds, its a spectacular weapon. The fact that it has less moving parts and its a simple design means its reliable and easy to operate. It is less likely to jam up and it will not fail to eject a spent cartridge. The 38 special is mostly used in the revolver. On the other hand, the 9mm is one of the most widely used ammo type in the world. Most modern day handguns use the 9mm round and are able to have a 15-18 round magazine. By the time you empty your magazine, the person using the revolver would've loaded it once and reloaded it twice. The weapon mechanisms that are used to fire the 9mm are lighter, smaller and easier to carry. They are extremely light compared to a revolver which has some weight to it. The 38 special is a great round but, everything it can do, the 9mm can match it and do it better.
dukej11

Con

My opponent is clearly uneducated on the fact that a 9 mm round can easily penetrate walls, especially with a hollow point which is what my opponent proposed. In a home, a 9 mm bullet no matter whether it's hollow point or not, can easily penetrate walls, especially at a short distance such as the rooms in a home. A 38 special is essentially like a miniature shotgun, essentially in the fact that the little pellets spread out. Most people are not shooting to kill when people invade their home, they are trying to prevent harm to themselves and their families. Also, there is no need to have more rounds, because the spread of the shots should make impact on the first shot and a second shot will definitely prevent the target from moving. Based in my opponents low education on this subject, I urge you to vote in negation of the resolution. Thank you and good luck.
JawnLife

Pro

If you want to say I'm uneducated thats fine by me, you can play it that way, but what you haven't done is read everything I've said. What you are essentially doing is comparing the 38 special "shot shell", "rat shot", "bird shot", "snake shot", whatever you want to call it, to a standard 9mm round or to the 9mm hollow point round. The 9mm, as I stated previously, also comes in a shot shell round, if you purchase that ammo type. Both the 9mm shot shell and 38 special shot shell round will act as a miniature shotgun. The shot shell round is used as an anti-pest round. It is mostly used to kill snakes (as you said before), birds, rats, etc. The 38 special shot shell round or the 9mm shot shell round isn't suggested to be a personal defense round, as it doesn't meet the requirements of a personal defense round.
When a bullet is fired it travels at "x" amount of feet per second before it penetrates an object. Once it penetrates the object it begins to slow down. This is simple physics. With the addition of "controlled expansion", the bullet expands at a controlled rate in order for it to meet the required penetration distance of a personal defense round. For example, if I shot at a person with a 9mm hollow point round, once the round impacts and penetrates the person, it is slowing down due to physics and the controlled expansion. So again there is no need to worry about an exit wound and the bullet indirectly going somewhere else. Now everyone isn't a top shot and everyone needs to know the consequences of missing their intended target. They also need to know what their ammo type is capable of doing if they miss their target. This goes for everyone, no matter what type of firearm or ammo type you're using.
To be honest, the way I've learned, if you're going to fire your weapon, you better shoot to kill. Me personally, I'm not going to try and shoot you in the knee, I'm going to fire at the spot of the body where I know I'm going to be able to hit you. That area is the upper body. More specifically the torso area. Now apply the same theory to when you're fishing and a snake happens to pop up. Are you going to shoot to injure it (which would probably aggravate it and make it more aggressive) or are you trying to shoot to kill, essentially neutralizing the threat.
Now you can keep bringing up the fact that the 38 special shot shell round is less lethal but that is no longer a sound argument due to the fact that the 9mm also has a shot shell variation. So tell me how I'm uneducated in this matter. By the way a standard 38 special round can penetrate walls too.
The 9mm boasts a higher muzzle energy ft-lb, muzzle velocity ft/sec, and the capability of a 15-18 round magazine. The 9mm is also, not by much, but, a less expensive round than the 38 special.
dukej11

Con

As I stated earlier, my opponent still appears to be uneducated on the 38 special round compared to the 9 mm. When people attempt to shoot a person out of self-defense they are doing it to prevent the person for hurting them or anyone else with them. When people shoot out of self defense They are not aiming to kill, just to prevent harm to themselves. There is no reason to have a 9mm unless you are specifically planning to kill. There is also no reason to have a larger amount of bullets, because unless you have an army invading, 6 rounds of spreadshot will definitely do the trick for you, while also substantially reducing the possibility of killing the human. My opponent also stated that if the 9mm bullet hits the person that the acceleration of the bullet will slow down considerably. I agree with this, but I also think that the bullet will still be strong enough to go through a wall if you are in a house setting. The bigger issue is that if you miss, then there is a great risk of hitting the person you didn't target by accident. My opponent acts as if it is impossible to ever miss a shot when shooting, but I know and reality to knows that it is very likely. A birdshot bullet has more of a spread and gives a lot more of a chance to actually hit the intended target, and because of the small size of the bbs the person you shoot at will more likely be hit, more likely not be killed, and the bbs will not penetrate walls and hit unintended targets. My oppponent never addressed the fact that most people do not shoot to kill which means that he must agree with this, if he didn't go against it. He also didn't seem to understand that if you have one or maybe even two people attack, you do nto need anymore that 5 or 6 shots because the spread of the bullets will hit the target. Because my opponent did not address hardly any of my points and I virtually destroyed his, I urge you to vote in negation of the resolution.
Posted by Lucas.Aho 3 years ago
Lucas.Aho
Sorry, bull sht vote. I was seeing if I even could vote yet
Posted by dukej11 3 years ago
dukej11
It is the birdshot round of which I am speaking of. It has a blue tip and the cap comes off and multiple bbs come flying out.
Posted by Juris_Naturalis 3 years ago
Juris_Naturalis
Seriously? No arguments using hollow points? Jawn, you ought to note that the mass and speed of a 9mm is similar enough to a .38 that over-penetration is a non-issue. Especially When using hollow points. And duke, unless you have CCI novelty birdshot rounds, the .38 is a solid projectile.
Vote Placed by Juris_Naturalis 3 years ago
Juris_Naturalis
JawnLifedukej11Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con doesn't know what he's talking about and was insulting.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
JawnLifedukej11Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con called pro uneducated and loses conduct points. Con had several incorrectly spelled words and a lot of horrid grammar. It was hilarious to see someone misspelling so many words, refer to their opponent as uneducated. Pro had clearly superior arguments. I would suggest both sides make better use of sources in the future.
Vote Placed by Lucas.Aho 3 years ago
Lucas.Aho
JawnLifedukej11Tied
Reasons for voting decision: 9mm all the way