Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

The Death Penalty

missbailey8
ViceRegent

I'll be arguing against the death penalty, while my opponent will argue for the use of capital punishment. BoP is shared. Structure: Round 1 - Opening Statements from Pro Round 2 - Rebuttals from Con, Defense from Pro Round 3 - Opening Statements from Con, Rebuttals from Pro Round 4 - Defense from Con, Pro Must Waive Rules: 1) No hate speech/ slander 2) No kritkiks 3) No plagiarism 4) No new arguments in final round 5) Please use citations 6) No forfeiture 7) No trolls Votin...

Voting Period
2 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

The death penalty should be legal in all US states.

bluetree653
Hayd

For some, the death penalty could be less worse than jail. The death penalty is only used when absolutely needed, and sometimes it is the only rational/moral option. Even if a criminal was released from the death penalty/jail, it would be very hard for them to make a living. The death penalty can be painless. The death penalty provides disclosure for victims. If the death penalty is not in use, then America will end up spending more money trying to contain criminals from the...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 5 Days Ago

The Death Penalty should be legal in all US states.

bluetree653
lyokowarri0r

Voting Period
4 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

That we should abolish the death penalty

leachyaus
SonicAndRapBattles

My argument will rest on two premises. Firstly that the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent and secondly that its too immoral to use even if it did. I will use this first speech to outline the former and my second speech to explain the latter. To assume the death penalty will deter anyone assumes they are thinking rationally which most who people who commit serious crimes often are not. Broadly people who commit violent crimes can be grouped into four categories. Those who act in the he...

4 Comments
Updated 3 Weeks Ago

Whether the United States should abolish the Death Penalty?

MaxLamperouge
Hayd

Before I begin, I would like to thank Debate.org for hosting this debate, as well as whoever accepts my challenge. This will be tough, and I thank you for providing me with a challenge. I hope that I challenge you, and together we might both become better debaters. Intro: All my arguments will be presented in round 2. Rules: No profanity (thanks), no Ad Hominems (personal attacks), no fallacies (they will be pointed out), and have fun. Please present your arguments in round two, and leave...

8 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

Death Penalty

boxbeat19
Aguilajoyce

The death penalty is an outdated, barbaric, and, frankly, hypocritical form of punishment carried out by many third-world countries across the globe. It is also, sadly, carried out by the United States in numbers that rival those of China and several Middle-Eastern countries. It is more costly than holding the person in prison for life, it is extremely hypocritical, it does absolutely no good for the rest of society, and the methods by which we do it are inhumane and unright....

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

The United States should Abolish the Death Penalty

FieryNyan
SocialDemocrat

I'm formally extending this invitation to SocialDemocrat after watching his debate with Queencop. It was a fun debate to spectate, and I would like a slice of the cake :) According to Merriam-Webster, death penalty is defined as "execution of an offender sentenced to death after conviction by a court of law of a criminal offense." Today, 32 states, and even the Federal government uses death penalty. My stand: Death Penalty should be maintained as part of the US System of Justice SocialDem...

2 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

The death penalty should be abolished.

SocialDemocrat
queencoop

The death penalty should be abolished. Death penalty-the punishment of execution, administered to someone legally convicted of a capital crime. "The death penalty is ineffective as a deterrant, and the appeals process is expensive and cruel to the survivng family members."-Martin O'Malley "The death penalty issue is obviously a divisive one. But, whether one if for or against, you can nt deny the basic illogic, if we know the system is flawed, if we know that innocent people are on death r...

41 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Death Penalty

DATXDUDE
awes1357

I don't have much time for formalities/rules. That being said, no semantics, the BOP is shared, and the debate is closed until I find someone who accepts it. Let me know in the comments. Imagine this situation. A man is walking home from work, and he happens to have a gun. 5 minutes away from his home in a secluded part of his town, he is approached by two armed criminals. Unbeknownst to him, they followed him from his workplace. They say that they are going to take his money and then kill h...

6 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Death Penalty

maddy_lion
nurul22

I am definitely against the death penalty, it's barbaric and inhumane. First off, lets say there is a scenario where someone is completely guilty of first degree murder. Would killing this person make us look any better than they do? What are we demonstrating to our children, that it's okay to take the life of another human being because they did something bad? It is understandable that the threat of the death penalty is mostly in line to scare people into not attempting murder, but that...

2 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago