Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

American Gun Control

Sarah314
Reformist

Gun control, defined as the banning of fire arms, is unconstitutional. The Second Amendment clearly states that it is "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The Founding Fathers knew what they were doing when they inserted this into the Bill of Rights. We need to be able to legally defend ourselves. People who feel that they are above the law, essentially criminals, will go to any means to see their goals come to pass. That could mean obtaining guns on the Blac...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 12 Hours Ago

Less Gun Control

tombob930
KawaiiNekoDono

I am here to debate why we need less gun control, and why it does not work. If you accept then you have to debate why we need more gun control and why it works. First off, gun control does not stop the criminals from getting a guns. It's the same reason why drugs are outlawed yet it"s so easy to get drugs. We have had the war on drugs, we made them illegal yet America is having a huge drug problem. You can even get drugs in prison. The thing about increasing gun control is it makes it harder for...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?

DonaldDuck1
legitcow3

From 1999 to 2013 a total of 464,033 deaths by firearms happened in the U.S. Of this number 37% was from homicides, 55% from suicide's and 9% from accidental killings. The fact that mostly anyone can get guns make's this number a threat to increase every day. More gun control laws should be enacted because, more gun laws would decrease death rates, the Second Amendment was intended to protect the right of militias to own guns, not the right of individuals, and more gun control leads to fewer sui...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Gun Control

Captainross2000
Jevinigh

Although the government is leaning towards stricter gun control to decrease armed criminal activity, I believe that the right of the people to keep and bear arms should not be infringed because it is unconstitutional, it will backfire and promote criminal activity as a whole, and criminals will always find a way to obtain guns....

Voting Period
2 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

Gun Control Legislation, yes or no?

ghjv
Sincerely_Millenial

Today in America we have been subject to countless mass shootings, a wake up call to legislators and the American people about our gun reform. I am in favor of banning military grade assault weapons, I have never met a hunter or a person who wants a gun for defense that needs an A-15. I am in favor of allowing people to have pistols, rifles, and shotguns who do not have prior criminal conviction and are not at risk for homicidal behavior. Gun control legislation is ONLY taking guns away from peo...

17 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

Gun Control Is Still Bad

elijah452
TheRealGod

EXTENSION OF (http://www.debate.org/debates/Gun-Control-Is-Bad-BROAD/1/) Somehow people believed your side was right when the arguments you made were incredibly ignorant and weak. You ignored most of my counters and hooked the debate into a corner. I want to continue debating. >"when I have stated Gun Control is NOT about taking away guns from everyone but instead making it more difficult for people with ill intent to receieve a gun, even if it's just by a few minutes." You have yet to...

13 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

Should there be more gun control laws in the US?

dannyb63
Hayd

There should not be more gun control laws for many reasons. One reason is the if we take the guns away from American Citizens, then the criminals will still get the guns in the Black Market and we won't have guns to protect yourself and your family....

0 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

Gun Control Is Bad (BROAD)

elijah452
TheRealGod

1.(No links or sources unless one of us asks for one) I want to have a logical and reasonable debate. Most pro-gun control people slap a few poorly made sources without understanding the concept of what they are arguing. I rather keep the argument towards logistics of why gun control is bad and what causes gun crime, and the specifics of why gun control won't largely change these factors. All in all you need to be able to defend your argument with your own words and not rely solely on "sources"...

29 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

Gun Control

Niall_McGee27
Tashasays

Guns do not kill people. People kill people. Also laws do not stop criminals. We should focus more on psychological therapy then gun control. A total ban is also absolutely garbage. Just look at Chicago....

17 Comments
Updated 3 Weeks Ago

Gun control will do nothing to stop mass shootings.

president_Ian
TheKryken

With all the major shootings that have taken place recently, in the US and abroad, there has been an increased call for gun control in the United States. I assert that this is not only unconstitutional, but also would do little to nothing to combat mass gun violence. Debate will only have three rounds. Please be factual. I look forward to a clean debate with whoever challenges....

3 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago