Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Abortion

sara_ann_dee
treacyk

The US Supreme Court has declared abortion to be a "fundamental right" guaranteed by the US Constitution. The landmark abortion case Roe v. Wade, decided on Jan. 22, 1973 in favor of abortion rights, remains the law of the land. The 7-2 decision stated that the Constitution gives "a guarantee of certain areas or zones of privacy," and that "This right of privacy... is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy." [49] Reproductive choice empowers w...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 13 Minutes Ago

Just for fun

Conspiracyrisk
ballpit

The first round is acceptance only....

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 3 Hours Ago

Am I Bored?

solvablepig
Standingalone

Am I Bored? I think I am. Try to prove my claim wrong. (Short response time.)...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 13 Hours Ago

The 'Alvinn! and the Chipmunks' characters don't even look like chipmunks

Glitter2998
M.brown

If you watch the Alvinn! and the Chipmunks show on Nickelodeon, you;ll see that they do not look like chipmunks....

Voting Period
2 Comments
Updated 15 Hours Ago

The 1st Amendment does not protect free speech

Bound_Up
Hayd

There's a sentiment among some that makes them say things like: "You can't tell me to shut up or call me stupid because of what I said. The 1st Amendment protects free speech." Actually the 1st Amendment just prohibits Congress from passing certain kinds of laws, like ones that take away free speech. "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech." Doesn't say that state governments can't pass laws that take away free speech. Or that local governments can't. Or that your sc...

Voting Period
3 Comments
Updated 17 Hours Ago

Part 2: A Godless universe has as much morality as one with a God

Bound_Up
ViceRegent

God determines what it and everything will be. There is no ontological reality apart from God. -So did he do a good job? He did a perfect job. He could do no less. -Do you meant that no matter what he did, it would have been perfect? -So, if he'd set moral injunctions different from or opposite to the ones we're used to, those would also be perfect? He could not, as His moral commands flow from His character ---- End first debate We'll take it from here. So if I unde...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 23 Hours Ago

How do atheists ratiionally know truth from fiction?

ViceRegent
Sarasaz

Atheists love to live under the delusion that they are the guardians of rationality. But how can they hold this title when they cannot even articulate a rational way to know truth from fiction. If they cannot do this, they are literally ignorant and the ignorant cannot guard anything. So, what atheist can give me a rational way atheist know truth from fiction?...

Voting Period
6 Comments
Updated 3 Hours Ago

I should be a Sikh

harrytruman
talmid

I have to address this, Talmid thinks that all non-Jews are going to hell, so I have a question for him; Is that in Judaism? Talmid acts as if it is in this debate: http://www.debate.org/debates/Is-Jesus-the-Messiah/1/ As we know, I admitted that I was wrong about Christianity in this debate for the following reason: I like not to think of myself as a hypocrite, if this is so, and with Muslims I would advise them to ditch Islam because of this moral fallacy, then I cannot remain a Christian...

Voting Period
9 Comments
Updated 18 Hours Ago

Atheists Believe in Mythological Concepts

brontoraptor
Jedd

Atheists believe in mythology "The giant birds of Native American mythology" http://www.native-languages.org... -Cigwe (more commonly spelled Chequa or Chequah) is the Potawatomi Thunderbird, a giant mythological bird common to the northern and western tribes. www.native-languages.org/cigwe.htm -Culloo was a giant bird of prey, said to eat humans and be large enough to carry off a child. www.native-languages.org/culloo.htm "Terror birds" https://en.m.wikipedia.org... "...

Voting Period
10 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Parents Should Tell Their Children About Every Different Religion Instead of Indoctrinating Them

trying2think
minddrag

In every society, parents should not indoctrinate their children with absolute statements about God, the origin of the universe, or any of the other big questions. Parents should explain the differences between different religions and ideologies. Then they should allow their children to decide for themselves what to believe or reject. If you believe parents should bring up their children to believe a certain way without telling them about alternatives, I would love to debate you. Tha...

Voting Period
8 Comments
Updated 17 Hours Ago