cstew
Tashasays

A $15 dollar national minimum wage is a poor policy for the US economy

cstew

Pro

Hello All,

I just want to begin by saying that this is my first debate on this website so I may be a little hazy on the rules and proper etiquette.

For my first debate I decided to choose a policy topic that has been given enormous media attention recently especially with regard to the stance of Presidential candidate, Senator Bernie Sanders.

After conducting background research on this topic I have concluded that an increase in the national wage floor to $15 an hour would be a poor policy choice, and I would love to debate this issue with someone knowledgeable on the topic and willing to have a mature discussion.

Thank You!
Tashasays

Con

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the website as well. I'm certainly not an expert on the subject of raising the minimum wage to $15.00 per hour, but I believe that it would be beneficial to everyone. At first, I was worried that the companies would just absorb the increase by charging their customers more (which they probably will), hiring less people to do more work, and reduce other benefits. It would also mean that people who earn minimum wage would no longer qualify for government assistance programs, which would mean that would have just as much or possibly even less disposable income. That sounds pretty grime, but there are good things that can happen as well.

Aetna is a great example of what happens when a company puts a higher value on its lowest paid employees. To summarize, Aetna decided that all of their employees should be paid enough money to live comfortably, so they increased the pay of 5,700 employees. The results were that the company started to save money in a lot of ways. The employees were less stressed, so they delivered better customer service. Their overall health improved, which saves the company money on paid sick leave as well as medical insurance. Of course, there was less employee turnover, which is very costly to employers.

http://www.npr.org...

When companies invest in their employees, great things happen that benefit everyone.
cstew

Pro

cstew forfeited this round.
Tashasays

Con

Since pro forfeited the last round, I'm just going to keep going because I'm not satisfied with my argument yet and there are only 3 rounds.

It seems obvious that large companies like Walmart, Target, and McDonald's are taking advantage of the minimum wage to make huge profits, and there is no way these companies are going to pay their unskilled laborers any more then the government mandates. Since large companies currently employ the vast majority of minimum wage workers, it makes sense to increase the minimum wage.

Full-time employees making minimum wage would no longer receive government assistance, because they would not need it. All companies should be obligated to pay their employees a living wage without the government's assistance. If all full-time employees no longer needed government assistance, that money could be spent elsewhere.

http://economicrt.org...

Poverty is linked to a number of social issues including obesity, poor health, crime, and many others. Imagine if you could get out of poverty by simply finding any full-time job. You would be able to move to a better neighborhood with better schools, buy healthier food, or further your education and earning power. In other words, we could reduce poverty and crime while improving the health and education opportunities for those who need it most. Increasing minimum wage would have a huge impact on the poorest members of our society and only a small impact on the cost of goods and services. Totally worth it.
cstew

Pro

cstew forfeited this round.
Tashasays

Con

"If I'm ever rich, I hope I'm not mean to poor people like I am now" -Jack Handy
Posted by Tashasays 1 year ago
Tashasays
Where did you go, cstew? I can't have a debate all by myself. I look like a crazy person.
Posted by cstew 1 year ago
cstew
Are you agreeing with my stance or agreeing to debate?
Posted by Thelibertarianmetalhead 1 year ago
Thelibertarianmetalhead
I agree. Let's see how this goes.