Ashley17
I-am-a-panda

A Bill to require schools to serve "kosher meals"

Con Tied Pro

Ashley17

Con

I give my opponent the privilege of starting this round. Thank You.
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I thank my opponent for this debate./ First, some definitions, which are crucial:

Kosher: Proper; legitimate. (http://dictionary.reference.com...)

Obviously, it is only common sense a school should be required to serve student authentic meals. If the food isn't real food, then why should we give it to students? Without such a bill, our students could be serve anyhting from rusty nails to lint. Consequences of the lack of such bill include tremendous health problems for students, including food poisoning and internal organ damage from objects such as the aforementioned rusty nails. It will also deprive them of necessary nutrients required for their growth.

I await my opponents response.
Ashley17

Con

Kosher meals have certain rules to them: Please look at the rules that follow:

Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.
Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.
All blood must be drained from the meat or broiled out of it before it is eaten.
Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.
Fruits and vegetables are permitted, but must be inspected for bugs
Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. (According to some views, fish may not be eaten with meat).
Utensils that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.
Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.
There are a few other rules that are not universal.

I got these rules from: http://www.jewfaq.org...

First and foremost.
As you can see this kind of food involves religion, how about if students don't believe in the "Torah", which is the main source of the rules.

Second: Schools will not make money off of these kind of food.

Third: Not every students eat these kind of food.

Fourth: how about the students that are allergic to these kind of food?

Fifth: Healthy diary products are forbidden such as milk, eggs..etc Those are healthy, so why would we excempt it from meals.

Sixth: There's a plethora of food that consist of milk and eggs, for example cereal and eggs are eaten for breakfast, so what would we replace that with.

seventh: Seafood such as lobsters, shrimp..etc are good for you, when a student gets accustomed to that way of eating they'll stop eating and businesses will start to stop making business, think about it, parents ask their child "what do you want to eat today" and if their accustomed to the kosher meals than they won't really eat any type of market food.
Also, the animals that aren't eaten will become overpopulated and the ones that are eating will decrease. Students make a lot in the populations and if they start eating this type of food than their parents will also.

kosher: a. fit or allowed to be eaten or used, according to the dietary or ceremonial laws: kosher meat; kosher dishes; a kosher tallith.
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I thank my opponent for her response

"kosher: a. fit or allowed to be eaten or used, according to the dietary or ceremonial laws: kosher meat; kosher dishes; a kosher tallith."

--> See, there's a problem here. I provided my definition first, meaning kosher is "Proper; legitimate.". Nothign to do with Judaism or the like.

"Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.
There are a few other rules that are not universal."

--> I fail to see how this is a proper or legitimate meal. It may be to minority, be we're dealing with the majority

"As you can see this kind of food involves religion, how about if students don't believe in the "Torah", which is the main source of the rules."

--> Adequate food involves religion?

"Schools will not make money off of these kind of food."

--> The general populace, last tie I checked, were not content eating rusty nails, lint, old pieces of rubber, trash bags, etc. If schools aren't forced to provide adequate food, students will develop the aforementioned medical problems upon buying school food.

"Not every students eat these kind of food."

--> Proof most children don't eat adequate food

"Healthy diary products are forbidden such as milk, eggs..etc Those are healthy, so why would we excempt it from meals."

--> Milk obviously would be included as adequate food.

"There's a plethora of food that consist of milk and eggs, for example cereal and eggs are eaten for breakfast, so what would we replace that with."

--> See the above point. We are providing adequate, edible food. I do believe cereal would fall under that category

"Seafood such as lobsters, shrimp..etc are good for you, when a student gets accustomed to that way of eating they'll stop eating and businesses will start to stop making business, think about it, parents ask their child "what do you want to eat today" and if their accustomed to the kosher meals than they won't really eat any type of market food.
Also, the animals that aren't eaten will become overpopulated and the ones that are eating will decrease. Students make a lot in the populations and if they start eating this type of food than their parents will also."

--> Rusty nails, lint, etc. don't have rights. There build up can be distributed to waste dump sites. And parents who feed their children bad foods such as that shouldn't have children to start with.
Ashley17

Con

You stated: "It has Nothign to do with Judaism" which is completely incorrect.

Judaism. a. fit or allowed to be eaten or used, according to the dietary or ceremonial laws: kosher meat; kosher dishes; a kosher tallith.
b. adhering to the laws governing such fitness: a kosher restaurant.

"Also, The general populace, last tie I checked, were not content eating rusty nails, lint, old pieces of rubber, trash bags, etc.

I*** fail to see how rusty nails or trash bags is revalant to the topic and food itself.

**** but serving kosher meals would ban that

You seem to be agreeing with me because Kosher meals don't consist of milk.

*** What does Rusty nails have to do with anything? Food and nails are in two different categories. So your saying that Lobsters and shrimps are bad?
I-am-a-panda

Pro

"You stated: "It has Nothign to do with Judaism" which is completely incorrect.

b. adhering to the laws governing such fitness: a kosher restaurant."

--> My opponent is mistaken here. I hope the audience realised I provided the first definition of Kosher, hence her definition is not the one we are using. She never implied at the start of the debate what definition of Kosher we were using.

"I*** fail to see how rusty nails or trash bags is revalant to the topic and food itself."

---> It is entirely relevant, They are not adequate, or kosher, food.

"but serving kosher meals would ban that [milk]"

---> Milk is an adequate food, therefore part of an adequate meal.

"You seem to be agreeing with me because Kosher meals don't consist of milk."

--> See my above point

"What does Rusty nails have to do with anything? Food and nails are in two different categories. So your saying that Lobsters and shrimps are bad?"

--> No, what I'm saying is rusty nails aren't an adequate food, and foodstuffs such as rusty nails, which aren't adequate food, shouldn't offered as a meal to student in schools.

I thank my opponent for this debate.
Posted by Ashley17 7 years ago
Ashley17
Anytime your ready! Am ready.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
I would agree to that,
Posted by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
Semantic arguments are always loads of fun, but I think that I would rather see a legitimate debate. Maybe a rematch :P is in order?
Posted by LeafRod 7 years ago
LeafRod
PRO could have thrashed CON without using semantics.
Posted by Ashley17 7 years ago
Ashley17
I've also made an interesting disovery, thanks to someone in this comment box. I've realized that if I had put "kosher" meals than he could of choosen any definition, BUT I had "kosher meal" which obviously means it's the first definition. In this case his definition would not work in "kosher meals" only in "kosher".
Posted by Ashley17 7 years ago
Ashley17
Well I must say that it was nice "talking" I can't say debate because this wasn't really a debate, but it was nice, there's views and this hasn't gone anywhere and am not sure if it will, but I must say this was pleasant in some way. At least I gained some knowledge about debate. STATE the topic.
Posted by Ashley17 7 years ago
Ashley17
I think that's the only thing we can agree on Panda. Well this was nice, and I learned something today, STATE the definition that your referring to first(laughing to myself). That was a nice lesson.
Posted by feverish 7 years ago
feverish
I find the semantic arguments acceptable when they are backed up with first class humour (I've seen you do that before Kleptin). Otherwise, like this debate, I kind of agree with Cody that it leaves a bad taste. Can't vote and probably wouldn't vote on this debate if I could.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
"Part of me thinks that this wasn't about who won, but merely who lost less."

--> Hitler loss less than Mussolini
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Part of me thinks that this wasn't about who won, but merely who lost less.
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Ashley17I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by StephenAlsop 7 years ago
StephenAlsop
Ashley17I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Ashley17I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by AtheniusPrime 7 years ago
AtheniusPrime
Ashley17I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
Ashley17I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Ashley17I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
Ashley17I-am-a-pandaTied