lahunken61
pimpmaster

A Biochemical Cause of Alcoholism

lahunken61

Pro

If there is enough alcohol in the blood stream, long enough, that will cause alcoholism. Real Native Americans, genetically, don't have enzymes to change alcohol into sugar, therefore, it is easy for enough alcohol to remain in the blood stream long enough to cause us alcoholism.
pimpmaster

Con

My opponent has an interesting belief. Native Americans are alcoholics because they lack and enzyme to clear alcohol out of the system. How does my opponent explain all the other alcoholics that are not American Indians?

Alcoholism is actually not a medical condition. What my opponent is attempting to describe in the medical community is how addiction is formed. IN this case, my opponent is assuming the more alcohol remains in the body, the more addicted a person will have towards alcohol. He then asserts this addiction is directly tied to the body not clearing it from the body. The problem is alcoholism - the word my opponent chose to use - is NOT defined as a physical addiction. For example if a person only drinks once a year, on new years and cannot control their alcohol intake, ie binge drinking, he or she is an alcoholic regardless of the physical addiction scenario my opponent is trying to paint.

The medical term, ie diagnosis is NOT alcoholism. The diagnosis is "Alcohol use disorder". Once the correct term is used, the title of this debate becomes rather confusing.

http://www.mayoclinic.org...
lahunken61

Pro

lahunken61 forfeited this round.
pimpmaster

Con

that was an intersting round.
lahunken61

Pro

lahunken61 forfeited this round.
pimpmaster

Con

I can't believe I need to do this for 2 more rounds....
lahunken61

Pro

lahunken61 forfeited this round.
pimpmaster

Con

pimpmaster forfeited this round.
lahunken61

Pro

lahunken61 forfeited this round.
pimpmaster

Con

pimpmaster forfeited this round.