EdraAllenPoe
AlexFreeman

A Class in Creativity

AlexFreeman

EdraAllenPoe

Con

A class in creativity is detrimental to the very idea of creativity, as it is an energy that is neither made or destroyed but synthesized by the producer himself. Any "class" would undoubtedly form conformity which is the complete opposite of creativity.
AlexFreeman

Pro

I graciously accept your challenge. To respond to your opening statement, I'd like to say that creativity is a property of ideas. Creative people are those who recognize and follow through on their creative ideas, and a class on creativity would be successful by teaching its students how to recognize creative ideas in themselves. Because those ideas would vary greatly from person to person, conformity would not follow from such a class.
EdraAllenPoe

Con

Hmm... good point. However, in a class, one would be graded on their ability and the originality of their piece. I just don't think its okay to assign a grade to something someone has worked hard on, if they did, in fact, put effort and heart into it. All children are creative, but some are much more so than others. By promoting creativity in the classroom, some of the students will have the upper hand while the others will be at a loss as to what to do, and feel left out or overwhelmed by the projects or assignments and the lack of structure and guidelines.
AlexFreeman

Pro

While it's true that a lack of structure can be difficult for many students, this does not have to be the condition under which the assignments are given. Students could be asked to think of multiple uses for some commonplace object or creatively solve a particular problem, in addition to creating works of their own. In all these cases, there are definite criteria for determining how creative an idea is, such as novelty (is this idea different from ideas people have had before?) and non-triviality (is this not the type of idea that could easily occur to anyone?). Assignments that are definite enough to provide structure but open-ended enough to allow variation in the students' ideas can be graded on how well the students display the ideas such as novelty, non-triviality, etc. in their completion of the assignments. Simple exercises in heuristic thinking and finding connections between apparently unrelated ideas can help the students develop thought processes that lead to creative ideas. Students who work hard, as long as they're not simply reinventing the wheel or coloring the iPhone, will receive grades that reflect their hard work, and everyone who pays attention to the lessons will find it easier to generate and recognize creative ideas.
EdraAllenPoe

Con

You know what? You're right. I concede. I suppose my main point on the no-class argument is that having an actual graded class shouldn't be necessary, but I can see how the opportunity for ideas can be cultivated and aided in that environment.
I really enjoyed reading your argument actually^^ So thank you.
AlexFreeman

Pro

It was my pleasure. I enjoyed reading your arguments, too, and the points you made are definitely worth considering. Thanks for a stimulating debate, and I hope to see more of you on here!
Posted by EdraAllenPoe 3 years ago
EdraAllenPoe
^^ yes, it was, but I really like it and thought it would be fun to debate. I can't claim originality.

When I say class, I mean an actual school class for credit and a grade.
Posted by XenaXIV 3 years ago
XenaXIV
This was the AP Lang 2014 essay form O. :D I can't debate you because the pro isn't an opinion, it's a fact.
Posted by Theunkown 3 years ago
Theunkown
@LtnDog,
I think he means school class. As in teaching creativity as a subject (that's what it seems like at least).
Posted by LtnDog 3 years ago
LtnDog
So this is a debate of sociological issues among each "Class"? and when you say "class", do you mean age group, or financial/social "class"?
Vote Placed by dairygirl4u2c 3 years ago
dairygirl4u2c
EdraAllenPoeAlexFreemanTied
Reasons for voting decision: aa