bddowner
Carthage

A College Degree Is No Longer Enough

Carthage

bddowner

Pro

I would like to debate on whether or not having a college degree is enough to get a job in today's society. Please do not accept the debate if you do not mean to actually debate. Thank you.
Carthage

Con

Yes, a college degree is enough. It has to be. I'm assuming you mean a post-grad is more than a college degree. But there are'nt enough jobs that require a post-grad degree for most people to get one. A 4-year college degree, or maybe even a 3-year, is enough in today's society. Thank you.
bddowner

Pro

No, I don't believe that a college degree, such as a bachelors degree, is enough in today's society. Because of increasing government grants toward higher education, more and more people are going to college and sporting a bachelor's degree, therefore they do not stand out in the job market.
Carthage

Con

There simply aren't enough jobs that require a post-grad degree for most people to get one. I'm thinking we have different understandings of the word "enough". Most people in society are middle class. That's enough. Most people in middle class don't have a post-graduate degree. Thank you.
bddowner

Pro

I think you are right when you say we have different understandings of the word "enough". To me, saying that a bachelors degree is "enough" is saying that if you have a bachelors degree, you have a good, better than average, or even guaranteed chance of getting a decent job. Although maybe having a bachelors degree might have been "enough" in a past America, I don't think that, in todays modern, tough economy America, having a bachelors degree is not enough, in my sense of the word. Like I said in my previous statement, companies nowadays are looking for the most educated people they can find, and having a bachelors degree does not make you stand out as it might have in the past, because more and more people are flooding in to get a higher education with the same hope, getting a better job.
Carthage

Con

If you're right, only 10.4 percent of Americans* have "enough". That's a very small number. What you're effectively saying is that only 10.4 percent of Americans have a decent job. That's obviously not true.

*http://www.ask.com...
Posted by sadolite 3 years ago
sadolite
"A College Degree Is No Longer Enough" You got that right. Ever since colleges stopped teaching usable skills but only teach theory, propaganda and political correctness you actually have to know how to do something to get a job, at least in the private sector. You have to have a skill. Reciting statistics and theories is worth nothing to an employer other than the govt.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
bddownerCarthageTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's argument makes sense, but it isn't backed by any evidence. Con's final round was the best of the debate, basically because it was backed by evidence. The Ask.com page cites the New York Times, which I think is an acceptable source. But Con's argument itself highlights the absurdity of Pro's claim, showing that 90% of people wouldn't have 'enough to get a job in today's society'. Up until that point, Pro hadn't fufilled his BoP, but Con actually won the debate with the final round.
Vote Placed by aburk903 3 years ago
aburk903
bddownerCarthageTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was ultimately summarized by "what does enough mean?" Neither party clearly offered a definition for what was being debate (even the premise is a bit ambiguous with "college degree"). It is not a judge's place to rule based on personal opinion, but at least Con eventually offered a legitimate statistic instead of just opinion, so source points to Con.