left_wing_mormon
Korashk

A Crowbar is the best weapon to have during a Zombie Uprising.

left_wing_mormon

Pro

My position is simple. During the Zombie uprising, the best weapon is a crowbar. Yes you should always have a good amount of reliable weapon and shouldn't depend on just one. But the argument here is which is the best. I will let Con choose a weapon they feel is better and we shall debate the matter at hand.

Some things to keep in mind:
-You can only kill a zombie by destroying the brain.
-Real zombies (George Romero zombies) walk and shuffle. They don't run around.
-Once you're bitten you will turn into one of them.

hopefully this debate will help everyone when the zombies come.

When discussing Zombies here we are talking about George Romero's zombies. Not "Left 4 Dead" zombies, "Dead Rising" zombies. Thanks.
Korashk

Con

I thank my opponent for creating this debate and hope that it will be an interesting one. In this debate I will be showing both why a crowbar is not the best weapon to use during a Zombie Uprising and providing at least one example of a better weapon.

First my explanations as to why a crowbar would not be the best weapon to use. I assume that by crowbar my opponent is referring to those similar to the first example on this site [1]. I will be using its specifications for my arguments.

The referenced crowbar is 21 inches long and weighs 1.32 lbs. and is made of solid titanium. The problem with using a crowbar like this one as a weapon is that crowbars are meant to add leverage when prying things open, this means that during their production they are not tested for balance and are more difficult to swing than many other objects. It is also a fairly short weapon which means that your effective range would be around 55 inches or so.

I contend that for zombie killing a composite graphite baseball bat [2] would be more effective than a crowbar. Baseball bats are meant for swinging and are designed to withstand forces that are greater than bashing in the decomposing head of your average zombie. The only disadvantage to the composite bat is that in cold temperatures they are prone to breaking when playing baseball. This is not really much of a factor considering that it does not take as much force to crush said zombie's softened head as hitting a fastball. If you consider the face that the average length of a baseball bat is around 30 inches for an adult [3] you get more range to do damage. They may weigh a bit more than the crowbar, but the fact that they are better balanced means that swinging it will not tire you out as fast.

With that I negate the resolution that crowbars are the best weapons for a zombie apocalypse and contend that a baseball bat would be better.

[1] http://www.materials.com...
[2] http://www.articlesbase.com...
[3] http://www.dickssportinggoods.com...
left_wing_mormon

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and actually playing along. Good luck.

A nice choice, the baseball bat. A good weapon on the surface however the crowbar is not only a weapon but can also be a handy tool for survival.

Some problems with the baseball bat as described by my opponent. As my opponent noted, when these bats are used in tempatures under 70 degrees (Fahrenheit), they are more likely to break, making it's use as a weapon virtually useless. Tempature has no effect on a steel crowbar.

It is always unfair to state that a zombies skull is soft. Just to assume since a zombie is dead their skull must get softer is not true. Some may be more durable than others, depending on how long the zombies has been dead. A human skull just ten days old will still prove to be a stronger target for a baseball bat of any kind. Stronger than say...a baseball.

Other than breaking windows could you use a baseball bat for anything else than beating skulls in? No. A crowbar can not only provide you with a strong steel bludgeon for zombie skull busting, but it can also be used to open locked or heavy doors, shift heavy objects, and other tasks which the crowbar was originally designed for. It's hooked end makes for a great handle to use as a spear motion into the face of a zombie. Bearing one sharp end and another sharp end at the hook makes zombie heads a perfect target for it's thrust. You don't need alot of power to control the crowbar, as the ends do most of the work with minimal velocity. A baseball bat requires more strength to use when bashing a skull.

The only disadvantage to the crowbar is it's length. You never want to be too close to a zombie. However my opponents baseball bat is hardly any safer when it comes to length.

Also when it comes to weight, a steel crowbar is no more heavy than a composite graphite baseball bat. As I said before you should never depend on a single weapon of course, but you never want to be in the midst of a zombie takeover without a steel crowbar.
Korashk

Con

I would like to thank my my opponent for his response.

My opponent says that the bats would be useless in temperatures under 70 degrees Fahrenheit and that I said this. This is not true, in fact if you look at my above source [2] you will see that the actual temperature is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature warning is put in place to safeguard the user when playing baseball, which I will show to exert much more force on the bat than a human skull would and therefore is not really a significant factor to consider when using the bat in any given temperature.

The force exerted between a bat and ball when playing baseball is enormous. The amount of force being generated by hitting a 90 mph fastball is about 18,436 Newtons, which converts to about 4124 lbs of force being exerted on the bat and ball in the moment of contact [4]. Experiments on _cadavers_ have yielded that the amount of force that is required to crack the skull is 73 Newtons [5]. You could easily generate this amount of force on a skull in any plausible temperature with the bat and it would be fine.

My opponent contends that a crowbar would make a better weapon because it is also a useful tool. I'm not going to sit here and deny that crowbars can make useful tools, but that really doesn't matter. It's usefulness as a tool has no bearing on its viability as a weapon.

He also contends that you could use the crowbar as a spear for skewering the brains of zombies. It's true that this is possible, but it is also not a tactic that would be very effective. I stated in my opening argument that crowbars are not balanced for swinging, this is because their center of gravity is near the middle because it is made of a single, solid material and is fairly uniform in shape. This means that while my opponent is holding the hooked end all of the weight of the crowbar is being felt between 7-10 inches beyond the hand. This weight means that more effort needs to be made in order to keep the crowbar level for stabbing which tires the user out quickly. A baseball bat on the other hand can be manufactured so that the center of gravity is found pretty much anywhere on the bat. This means that the weight of the bat can be made to be felt on the handle. The closer the weight is to your hand the easier it is to carry and swing because there is less torque [6].

The length of the two weapons is not really all that different as my opponent states and is therefore a minor factor when it comes to safety, but the bat is longer and that does increase the level of safety when it comes to zombie killing.

It is for these reasons that a baseball bat would be a better weapon to use when killing zombies than a crowbar would be.

[4] http://paws.kettering.edu...
[5] http://www.portfolio.mvm.ed.ac.uk...
[6] http://dev.physicslab.org...
Posted by tBoonePickens 4 years ago
tBoonePickens
I still insist that *any* weapon that can decapitate is probably the best. A headless zombie cannot bite & thus cannot infect you.
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
I am reading a book called "Pride and Prejudiced and Zombies"
Posted by mattrodstrom 4 years ago
mattrodstrom
This is what I'd use from my house.... it has beheading capability, a great hammer...
and the perfect swing :)
Posted by Korashk 4 years ago
Korashk
New development, I just found my family's crowbar in the garage and tried swinging it, it's actually very hard compared to a baseball bat. And I had the balance point right too.

http://i48.tinypic.com...
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
A liberal like Pro would never use a crowbar. He would try to talk them out of it.
Posted by Clarisa 4 years ago
Clarisa
best. debate. ever.
Posted by mattrodstrom 4 years ago
mattrodstrom
Kinesis wrote: "yeah but goku isn't a weapon"

Next best thing: http://www.academy-sports.co.uk...
Posted by bongo 4 years ago
bongo
It's only one fortress. singular. it would be akin to comparing my fortress of death to a crowbar. The crowbar has multiple parts of the whole that could be used as a weapon. The straight edge could be used for lunging through the skull of a zombie, and the curved edge could be used for a side-attack. Just as my fortress could have multiple parts of the whole such as the trap door up front, and maybe a giant boulder for the cavern on the rear entrance :)
Posted by CrappyDebater 4 years ago
CrappyDebater
Goku is as much of a weapon as Chuck Norris.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 3 years ago
quarterexchange
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by Batmon 4 years ago
Batmon
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by emmalmalcolm 4 years ago
emmalmalcolm
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by jamsjamsjams 4 years ago
jamsjamsjams
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by kristoffersayshi 4 years ago
kristoffersayshi
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by theoxilus 4 years ago
theoxilus
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by cjkeys 4 years ago
cjkeys
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by gr33k_fr33k5 4 years ago
gr33k_fr33k5
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied
Vote Placed by mcala7 4 years ago
mcala7
left_wing_mormonKorashkTied