KhalifV
abstract.ipz

A God Can Exist

KhalifV has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

KhalifV

Con

After a lengthy hiatus, I’m back up in this thing, so let’s get it.

Resolution and Terms

The resolution before the house is that, “ A God Can Exist”

My contention is such that, a God cannot exist, which is to say, a God does not exist in any possible world.

Pro may argue that any such God can exist, however, the only necessary condition is that this entity created the universe. I add this qualification in order to rule out tautological notions such as pantheism, and pan-deism, and other non-meaningful propositions.

By exist, I mean that, X exists, if, and only if, exist is ontologically objective, or exist external to, or independent of our experience of it. I do realize that some phenomena such as consciousness, love, etc. exist and are ontologically subjective, however to apply ontological subjectivity to God would be reducible to, I feel God exists, therefore God exists, which doesn’t get us anywhere. So we shall argue if a creator of the universe can have an objective existence.

Lastly, by universe, I mean the totality of all existence, in some capacity. We may discuss what this means, rather if the universe is the totality of facts, objects, sets, etc, but if by universe, one does not mean everything that exists, in some way, shape, or form, I’m afraid we are discussing two different things.

Structure

This being said, 1st round is for acceptance and acknowledgements. The 5th round is designated for closings, which may be prefaced by brief rebuttals, but no new arguments may be put-forth.

Also, the BoP will be shared.

I’m grateful for my opponent’s participation in advance, and wish him/her the best of luck.

abstract.ipz

Pro

Before the debate begins I would like to say that I do NOT Believe a god exists. But the the statement "A God Can Exist" is true and although you say "the only necessary conditions is that this entity created the universe" I will go as far as to say that an all-powerful, omniscient god can exist.

Thank you KhalifV for giving me the opportunity to have this debate and the best of luck to you.
Posted by ZenekPr0 5 days ago
ZenekPr0
"My contention is such that, a God cannot exist, which is to say, a God does not exist in any possible world."

God damn many world semantics, it's so totally stupid, there should be penalties for using it.
Posted by Zaephou 1 week ago
Zaephou
'do we believe the universe simply sprang into existence'

The scientific community does not make this claim, and never has. We simply say 'we don't know the origins of the singularity, whether it had one in the first place'. This is not to say that the general population of laymen may refer to the Big Bang as 'popping into existence', but this is similar to the layman's understanding of 'theory'.
Posted by TheBenC 1 week ago
TheBenC
Every culture throughout history, no matter how far apart, created a concept of God/Gods. It is in our blood, in our DNA, to seek a higher power.
Posted by canis 1 week ago
canis
Why do some human beings create gods ?
Why do some human beings not create gods ?
This is the only question anyone can answer....
Posted by GrimlyF 1 week ago
GrimlyF
I do hope this debate will not descend into theology..............Do either of you believe our universe to be unique?.I don't mean in a multi-dimensional way but in actuality.Do we believe that God, after an unknowable lifespan, decided He'd rather like some company or do we believe the universe simply sprang into existence?.I DO acknowledge the existence of a God and shall endeavour to mug KhalifV as and when I can.