ilovedebate
Deathbeforedishonour

A God (any religion) exists

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

ilovedebate

Con

There have been many people I have known who were very religious and thought that their religion was everything.
I am an atheist and wonder what makes someone believe there is a god?

Terms:
God: The creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being…

Exist: Have objective reality or being
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like my challenger to post an argument first about why they believe there is such thing as a god.
Please, no hard feelings. This is just a debate that I posted because I was curious as to how religious people believe so strongly about something.
Goodluck to my challenger
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

First off, I would like to thank my opponent for giving me a chance to debate such a interesting topic.

I am a Christian and my reasons for believing in my God is based mostly on personal experiance and reasoning. They are the following...

1) I have went through both secular and a Christian education, so I am familar with Evolution, the Big Bang Theory, and of course Creationism. Most Athiests (if not all) believe in the first too. However, the flaw with the Big Bang Theory is that it says that in the beginning there was a giant explosion but it doesn't say what caused it. In this case the only explanation would be God.

2) Before I became a Christian I always felt like there was something missing in my life. I was never at peace. I tried just about everything to fill in the void that was in my life, but nothing was helping. I would get extremely depressed days on end. When I finally decided to become a Christian I felt for the first time in my life peace. I felt complete and I just new that God existed and I was not just a hairless ape bound for nothing more than death. I had a friend that would help me through anything, and that I was apart of something way beyond myself.

3) The final reason and the biggest peace of evedence that I saw that proved to me that my God was real is that five years ago my grandfather suffered from a massive anurism. He completely lost his mind, and the doctors did every test they could do on him. After doing all those tests they said to me and my mother to not exspect a 100% recovery. Then after the hospital released him, and my mom and aunt spent a month taking care of him changing his adult diappers and giving him baths and etc. All through the month my entire family was praying to our God to give my granddad a 100% recovery, and at the end of that month my granddad fully recovered. Nurses that the hospital sent to check on him were amazed that he could even talk about rational things. It was a miracle and I have every reason to believe my God did it, because where modern science failed, prayer didn't.

These are the reasons that I firmly believe in my God. :)
ilovedebate

Con

Thank you Deathbeforedishonour for accepting this debate and once again to both my opponent and my audience, I would like to say once again that I would like no hard feelings and do not have anything against religions or people who follow them. I am just merely trying to debate this topic because I have always wanted to.

REBUTTAL
==I have went through both secular and a Christian education, so I am familar with Evolution, the Big Bang Theory, and of course Creationism. Most Athiests (if not all) believe in the first too. However, the flaw with the Big Bang Theory is that it says that in the beginning there was a giant explosion but it doesn't say what caused it. In this case the only explanation would be God.==

The Big Bang Theory is a theory. It hasn't been proven and it is just a very scientifical conclusion that scientists have came up with to explain possible ways the universe was created. A theory is something that hasn't been proven but is just an idea that a lot of people agree upon. Just because something doesn't fit together or has not been proven yet doesn't mean the was a God to fix such a problem right?

==Before I became a Christian I always felt like there was something missing in my life. I was never at peace. I tried just about everything to fill in the void that was in my life, but nothing was helping. I would get extremely depressed days on end. When I finally decided to become a Christian I felt for the first time in my life peace. I felt complete and I just new that God existed and I was not just a hairless ape bound for nothing more than death. I had a friend that would help me through anything, and that I was apart of something way beyond myself.==

Pro's arugment does not help his side in proving that their is such thing as a God therefore is invalid. He is just explaining his life before his belief of God but doesn't show in any way how he felt that there was such a person/thing. In other words, he is basically saying that by believing in something that may/may not exist helped him feel relieved.

==The final reason and the biggest peace of evedence that I saw that proved to me that my God was real is that five years ago my grandfather suffered from a massive anurism. He completely lost his mind, and the doctors did every test they could do on him. After doing all those tests they said to me and my mother to not exspect a 100% recovery. Then after the hospital released him, and my mom and aunt spent a month taking care of him changing his adult diappers and giving him baths and etc. All through the month my entire family was praying to our God to give my granddad a 100% recovery, and at the end of that month my granddad fully recovered. Nurses that the hospital sent to check on him were amazed that he could even talk about rational things. It was a miracle and I have every reason to believe my God did it, because where modern science failed, prayer didn't.==

Right now, I would like to tell pro how relieved I am to hear about his grandfather. I wish the same had happened to my grandmother. I would also like to point out that all throughout the world, in the past, there were millions, maybe trillions of people who have went through dire situations such as wars. And out of the millions/trillions of people, thousands/millions of people believed in God. Almost all of them would have prayed to their supreme being a countless number of times during those situations to ask God to get them out. However, it doesn't always happen the way the person asks for. Miracles like pro's story almost never happens. Most of the time, the doctors are right and most of the time, people pray to ask that the doctors be wrong. But it doesn't happen all that much.

CONTENTION 1
I have heard often times that God does not discriminate nor hate. I would like to sincerely ask my opponent this question: if this is true, how come there are continuous wars althroughout human history? Wouldn't He do his best in order to stop such a terrible thing? KKK? Al Qaeda? In fact, as you stated, if God were to have been in part of the Big Bang Theory, then supposedly, we would also be in the creation of humans. If so, why did he create everyone so different causing segregation and hatred?

CONTENTION 2
Where is God? Is he in the skies? Where exactly is he? If pro states that he is a mystical being that people believe in, isn't that all the more reason to believe that God doesn't exist?

I will stop with 2 contentions and await my opponent's reply
Vote con!
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

1) Atheism is based on those unproven ideas. This is why I'm not a atheist because something as complex as planet earth, and our bodies for that matter could not possibly be created by a accident. The very idea of this is absurd. We can't even designed robots that are as complex as us, and yet people think that ours were just shear accident. It is perfectly logical that our complex bodies ans all of its functions was created.

2) I recognise that my second argument could not really help me, but my opponent clearly asked me why i believe in God and this was one of the answers to that question.

3) While it is true that many people has lost their lives to things such as war, and may in those times would have prayed and asked their 'supreme being' for help not all gods are real. In the beginning God created the heavens in the earth. There is only one god. This God however is not only a god of love and peace. He is also a God of justice. In the beginning man sinned against God and therefore had to be punished. They were punished by having a curse put on them. the curse was that the offspring of man from that point on would be a slave to sin and would be separated from God. However my loving all powerful God didn't just sit there and let everybody die and go to Hell(the place prepared for those who reject Him after death). No He sent His only son Jesus that he might die a agonising death as a sacrifice that we might be saved and that we might go to Heaven with God forever after death. However all this did not change man he kept on getting worse and worse until now their are so many bad thing and so many people dying. however, God has a escape plan. He will come back and set up His kingdom on earth, and make peace.[1][2] Therefore, the suffering that happens now is only a stepping stone for a greater good. The saying 'its going to get ugly before it gets pretty' is right.

Rebuttal

1) First off I would like the voters and my opponent to know that I do not in any way believe in the Big Bang. My God is all powerful, and if he speaks something it happens right then and there. That is the power of my God. Also like I said before the suffering now is only leading to a greater good and the elimination of sin once and for all. My God is at work right now giving people the chance to accept Him as there savior before it is too late.

2) He is a spirit and we are just flesh. Mortal eyes can not see Him. He is in heaven in another dominchen, and yet he sees everything. He is omnipresent, which means he can be in more than just one place. He is everywhere and he is watching.

In my conclusion,

To believe in a creator is more logical, and to say that we are a accident.

The suffering now is only a stepping stone for a greater purpose.

God is a spirit and therefore, can not be seen with fleshly eyes.

God exists

Vote pro

[1] Genesis 1:1

[2] John 3:16
ilovedebate

Con

Thank you for your reply Pro

However, I would like to point out that Pro's evidence's came from the Bible, which is not a credible source because there is no proof behind who created it or where it originated/came from. He/she is using a source that I believe to be have come from a surreal thing. We are trying to prove that God is in fact real or not but Pro is using a source that can only be used when both parties have accepted that God does indeed, exist. I would like to ask Pro why he believes in the Bible and if he thinks that the Bible was written by the almighty God and if so, how? If Pro's answer is based upon the evidence from the Bible itself, I would like to ask him to choose a different source because the Bible could be a fictional story.

I would also like to ask, since in pro's third rebuttal, he stated 'not all gods are real', why he chooses to believe The God and what makes Him more believable than any other
REBUTTAL
==Atheism is based on those unproven ideas. This is why I'm not a atheist because something as complex as planet earth, and our bodies for that matter could not possibly be created by a accident. The very idea of this is absurd. We can't even designed robots that are as complex as us, and yet people think that ours were just shear accident. It is perfectly logical that our complex bodies ans all of its functions was created.==

I have never stated that the Universe was created by sheer accident. Also, we are not too far ahead in technology to understand what has happened that allowed us to be created. But that doesn't mean, there was one being that could have enough power to create such a thing. Just because humans are not able to prove something happened scientifically doesn't mean something that is less likely to happen should indeed, happen. If Pro doesn't think that something as The Big Bang Theory is absurd, then I would like he/she to prove how believing in something mystical as a being with incredible power to be less absurd. I believe The Big Bang Theory is as close if not more to being a fact than one God creating the whole Universe.

==I recognise that my second argument could not really help me, but my opponent clearly asked me why i believe in God and this was one of the answers to that question.==

I sincerely thank my opponent for giving his story as to why he chose to being Christian

==While it is true that many people has lost their lives to things such as war, and may in those times would have prayed and asked their 'supreme being' for help not all gods are real. In the beginning God created the heavens in the earth. There is only one god. This God however is not only a god of love and peace. He is also a God of justice. In the beginning man sinned against God and therefore had to be punished. They were punished by having a curse put on them. the curse was that the offspring of man from that point on would be a slave to sin and would be separated from God. However my loving all powerful God didn't just sit there and let everybody die and go to Hell(the place prepared for those who reject Him after death). No He sent His only son Jesus that he might die a agonising death as a sacrifice that we might be saved and that we might go to Heaven with God forever after death. However all this did not change man he kept on getting worse and worse until now their are so many bad thing and so many people dying. however, God has a escape plan. He will come back and set up His kingdom on earth, and make peace.[1][2] Therefore, the suffering that happens now is only a stepping stone for a greater good. The saying 'its going to get ugly before it gets pretty' is right.==

Pro stated that God was 'not only a god of love and peace. he is also a God of justice.' which states that God is in fact multiple gods. And God keeps justice? What about people like Hitler? Millions of Jewish people were killed during the Holocaust. Yes it is true that Hitler was killed later on but only after he completed his mission. What about natural disasters? Millions of people have died from them and why did they occer? It only comes to show how the Universe works by itself and it was created by itself with some reason unknown to human. Saying there is a God only tries to hide the fact that we do not know the answers yet. What if later on in history, it is proven that the Universe was indeed created scientifically? Will there be no more beliefs about God? Doesn't the Bible say He was the one to have created everything? If that one statement is refuted by some scientific way, that means the Bible is contains either a huge typo or it is false. I highly doubt it would be a scenario in which all science that humans have found out in the past is going to be refuted due to the fact that God does appear. God is a god of love and peace? Why did He then, choose to create humans born with hatred and jealousy only leading to hatred and war? Please answer my doubts.

==He is a spirit and we are just flesh. Mortal eyes can not see Him. He is in heaven in another dominchen, and yet he sees everything. He is omnipresent, which means he can be in more than just one place. He is everywhere and he is watching.==

It is really hard to believe that you would accept something such as an invisible being in which we cannot see and a being that can be in more than one place at a time and not accept something as simple as the Big Bang Theory. Pro says the BBT is absurd and yet accepts God. Please explain the logic behind this without stating again that the BBT was impossible to have happened and God just had to come into play because I feel the total opposite way.

Vote Con!
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

Deathbeforedishonour forfeited this round.
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 6 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
i know right lol i was just trying to get three debates so i can vote.
Posted by Goldmarker 6 years ago
Goldmarker
this is an impossable topic to debate
because no one will ever know if there is a god, or isint
but its fun to see your guy's thoughts though :P
Vote Placed by kohai 6 years ago
kohai
ilovedebateDeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
ilovedebateDeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: The resolution and OP could have been more clear, 2 pt to Pro for turning this into a clear debate. But clear arguments to Con for effectively refuting Pro, and of course points as well for Conduct due to the forfeit.
Vote Placed by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
ilovedebateDeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited the last round which results in a loss of a conduct point.