MasturDbtor
xxx

A Homework Ban Is A Bad Idea

MasturDbtor

MasturDbtor

Pro

Resolved: A Homework Ban is a bad idea

France has recently decided to ban homework. This is bad for kids. Here's why.

The kids have to be graded on something, so this means all grading will happen based on work done at school.

Some students, including some students who would ordinarily do very well academically find themselves under increased stress at school. Many students deal with bullying. Even if they don't concerns such as girlfriends, boyfriends, and even just plain trying to socialize and fit in add even more stress. This would be especially bad for students with autism or social anxiety. The amount of stress for the student walking into the classroom is thus often immense. Thoughts about relationship issues, about bullies, about personal appearance often course through a child's head in the classroom.

And then you're going to make them do ALL of their work that they get graded on inside that classroom. Some of these students because of the stress will do more poorly at work in the classroom than at home. Ordinarily these students and if it's noticeable enough their parents will begin to notice that homework grades are great but schoolwork is not so great. They then make the connection that it's because of the stress at school and work through it and deal with it.

However, if all of the graded work is at school how is the child, parents, or anybody supposed to know they are doing poorly because of stress and not because of innate lack of ability or just laziness? In some cases a student may even have a learning disability that causes difficulties concentrating in the classroom setting whereas they may find themselves with a much better focus doing the work in their room. Because homework is sometimes required this problem can be recognized and an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) that allows the student to take care of non-homework assignments either as homework or in a special setting (another room) or with special accommodations (allowed to listen to music) can be given to the student and the student can still succeed. If there is no homework then it will be harder for educators to pinpoint the problem the student is having.
xxx

Con

Hello! This is my first debate on DDO. I would like to thank everybody here for making this debate possible.

Resolved: A Homework Ban is a bad idea

For this resolution, I am taking the Con side, so I believe that a homework ban is not necessarily a bad idea. Since the Pro has failed to define this resolution, I will define "a bad idea" as "an idea that people are strictly against." The rest of the resolution should be self-explanatory. That would mean that I believe people should not be strictly against a Homework Ban.

In addition, I will justify my position using the value of equality. My criteria will be that students should be given equal opportunity to do well in school.

1st contention: Homework is often not under supervision, and academic dishonesty is often promoted by many factors. Many students believe that homework is pointless and that their time is better spent for social purposes or relaxing. [1] As a result, Student A, who put in no time doing homework, can simply copy off Student B, who put in quite a bit of time. Despite the unequal efforts, they would receive the same grades. A homework ban is not a bad idea because getting rid of homework would allow for a more equal environment at school with less cheating.

2nd contention: Different students have different amounts of time to complete homework. The life of a student does not revolve around completing homework. Students also do sports, music, and other extracurricular activities that limit their time to complete homework. There is also the need to support the family that burdens a student whose family is poor or ill. These students all have less time to complete their homework in comparison to others. The differing available times create an unequal environment surrounding homework.

3rd contention: Homework is done at home, so people at home can greatly influence the homework quality. Parents who are wealthier and smarter tend to have a better home environment, and as a result, homework grades would just be a display of socioeconomic status. Students could have parents who help them a tremendous amount, so their homework would be better than those whose parents cannot help them. This is unfair, so in order for students to have a more equal learning environment, more effort should be put into schoolwork, and a homework ban would not be a bad idea.

Rebuttal:
My opponent is assuming homework is graded, which is not always the case. In many colleges and universities, grades are often determined solely by quizzes and tests. By believing that not having homework is a bad idea, my opponent is asserting that this system is bad.

He provides two contentions (correct me if I am wrong):

The first contention is stress at school, and he backs it up by claiming "thoughts about relationship issues, about bullies, about personal appearance often course through a child's head in the classroom." Actually, these thoughts course through a child's head outside the classroom. In the classroom, a teacher is supervising, so bullying, teasing, and vitriolic comments are not a concern. Rather, students are more focused on the material being taught by the teacher. Students are more concerned about these issues during break, lunch, and after-school times when they are actually susceptible to them. Students with autism and social anxiety are given their own special education in schools, so they do not support my opponent's contention.

He also provides the example that parents might notice that these students have great homework grades but bad schoolwork grades. Somehow, my opponent believes that this will give the idea that there is stress at school. This example does not always support the contention because it may be due to other factors such as conflicts with teachers, which is a problem that can be fixed. It still doesn't support his side of the argument.

His second contention is that homework can help diagnose a student's learning disability. He supports it by saying the problem can be recognized and an IEP can be put in place. First, I would like to ask, how often does this really happen? I believe the answer would be not that often. Most students just have to deal with improving their schoolwork. Additionally, how do we know that the student is not going to cheat when he/she is allowed to take the schoolwork assignment home? If students are having any problems doing schoolwork, they should ask teachers for help. This would diagnose the problem easily.

Conclusion:
I strongly urge the judge(s) to believe that banning homework is not a bad idea. It can be done in order to create a better and more equal environment for students because homework allows for much academic dishonesty and inequality.

Thank you for your time.

[1] http://my.hsj.org...
MasturDbtor

Pro

"Bad idea" means "produces bad results". To suggest it means "an idea that people are strictly against" is absurd. What if there was a meteor headed towards Earth and it was going to destroy us all and we had the technology to destroy the meteor but because of some wacko religious cult that caught on everyone was strictly against saving the Earth. That wouldn't make it a "bad idea". I thought what was meant by "bad idea" was common sense.

Equality

Equality should be achieved by helping the disadvantaged, not by punishing the advantaged. Good equality brings everyone up to the same level, bad equality brings everyone down to the same level.

More Interested in Socializing

Not every student. What about the student who is very academically-oriented? Furthermore, if a student is neglecting their homework it's the parents responsibility to get them back on track.

Cheating

Cheating is already dealt with. Though a student may get away with cheating or helping another student cheat many times if they keep it up they are likely to get caught, disciplined, and if they are wise they will not repeat it. If they are not so wise in time they will face even more severe consequences, especially if they are cheating in college or in the business world. Cheating can also be detected such as if two papers have the same answers. For plagiarism there are websites that can be used by teachers to check it.

Unequal Time

The solution here is to offer accomodations such as homework reduction for students who can document extentuating circumstances such as caring for parents. As for poverty, if the student has reasonable access to a library and computers this is not an excuse, unless the poverty is directly causing the student to need to spend a lot of time working a job, in which case document it and reduce the workload.

Schoolwork Still Involves Problems With Inequality, Including Problems That Are Worse Than With Homework

Even a poor student being raised by highly uneducated parents can learn and do well on homework assignments if they put in the effort. Go to a library, read the books, go online. It is there for one who chooses to do so. In fact, with homework since you are expected to do it while not at school then if the student doesn't get it they can go online or into their textbook and go through the information until they do. But in class this is more difficult. Internet use often is not allowed in the classroom. This would exacerbate inequalities. The well to do child probably has parents who go out of their way to guarantee they are educated above and beyond what is required in school, so that child probably already has habits in place to go online and learn things. They may come into the classroom already prepared, already knowing everything that is about to be covered. A poor student is less likely to have these habits. When exposed to schoolwork they don't understand then they don't have the opportunity to go online, and depending on the classroom may only be able to go over text briefly before the teacher leads the class to the next point. The more well off students move on easily since some of what's being taught includes information they learned before the class even began its 1st day, while the poor students struggle. The savior of these poor students is homework. When given homework they don't need to "keep up" as much, if they don't understand something they can go over it as many times as they need and look up what ever is necessary for them to understand it. Some poor students don't care and won't do this, but some will. By eliminating homework we are taking that opportunity away.

Wrong On Colleges

Many courses require papers, essays which are indeed done at home. Some courses, particularly foreign language courses are highly likely to include homework in order to make sure the student practices it enough, which leads to my next contention

Not Enough Practice

Some courses, such as foreign language require repetition until a student gets it right. Not including homework means the student can go home and forget about practicing the subject. Then all the teacher can do with a ban is to tell the student "for this to stick you need to practice outside the classroom." Some good eggs will do this, but many students will think "it's not mandatory, so what's the point."

Good Essays and Presentations Require Time, Sometimes It's Even Necessary to Sit On It

Being able to write a good essay is important, particularly in social studies or english classes. If they can't assign homework this greatly limits a teacher's ability to challenge their students with complex assignments. The same goes for presentations. Thought and effort, which includes being able to get away from it for a while, let it simmer, and then when inspiration strikes go back to it is necessary for the best essays and presentations. Limiting the window where a student can work on this to school seriously complicates this and hence is a major impediment to teaching methods and hence learning.

On Autism and Social Anxiety

My opponent says these students would be given special education so this doesn't count. Yet, not every single student with autism or social anxiety gets diagnosed. Furthermore, some are diagnosed but don't currently require special education services. Making the normal educational environment more stressful thus leading to them needing such services is not good for these students as the current quality of special education services is often poor and outcomes not good.

Thoughts Through the Child's Head

My opponent states "Actually,...vitriolic comments are not a concern."

People, even adults much less children can just let something go that quickly. If the moment before the child was facing those things the child will still feel the stress and think about these things inside the classroom. The child needs to have a comfortable, relaxing place away from these stressors (such as their bedroom or a library) to be able to achieve optimal focus on his or her studies and meet their true academic potential.

The Point Is The Real Problem Will Be Unearthed

Con states that "He also provides the example that parents might notice that these students have great homework grades but bad schoolwork grades. Somehow, my opponent believes that this will give the idea that there is stress at school. This example does not always support the contention because it may be due to other factors such as conflicts with teachers, which is a problem that can be fixed"

The point is that if there is not homework they will likely think that the child just has poor ability or is lazy. A discrepancy between homework and schoolwork points to a different problem whether it be stress at school or conflicts with teachers. It is a cue for parents and teachers to ask "why is there this discrepancy?" and to get to the bottom of it. Without this cue the problem is dismissed as poor ability or laziness and isn't addressed appropriately.

IEP
In some cases yes accomodations are appropriate such as the kid with ADHD who can only focus if he is listening to music. Letting a kid have an ipod in class(checked to make sure the answers aren't in there) is not a big deal if it helps the student to focus. Even when accomodations aren't made being able to identify that characteristics related to the work being performed at school are contributing rather than more general characteristics that would apply regardless of location makes it easier for parents, teachers, counselors,... to help the student. If it indicates stress, the parents can help their kids handle stress better. It may be a temporary problem, such as stress from bullying, so they talk to the kid about why they specifically have trouble with schoolwork but not homework and learn about the bullying and deal with it. Without homework they may think it's just their child's writing skills or some other general academic trait and put focus on that and avoid dealing with the real problem.
xxx

Con

Sorry for the late reply. V/LA w/o computer access.

Rebuttal of each of my opponent's sections:

Definition

"'Bad idea' means 'produces bad results'. To suggest it means 'an idea that people are strictly against' is absurd."

I beg to differ. My opponent has not properly defined "bad" and instead uses it again in his definition. Thus, the opposition has provided a circular definition. My definition uses "bad" relative to the general will because it is a very hard word to define. If people became strictly against saving the Earth, people actually would think saving the Earth is a bad idea, and vice versa. I'm afraid my opponent's definition and attack on my definition is invalid.

For the sake of this debate, I believe my definition should be used.

Equality

"Equality should be achieved by helping the disadvantaged, not by punishing the advantaged."

Let us use each of my three contentions and see if any apply.

1: academic dishonesty - those that don't cheat should cheat?
2: time - does my opponent really have a time turner?
3: money - should we progress to communism?

^It is obvious that my opponent does not have a real argument against my contentions.

Using "punish" as a term induces a very negative connotation, and is not the effect we are aiming for. The opposition's idea as shown in the quote is not applicable. Additionally, there is no such thing as "good equality" or "bad equality."

More Interested In Socializing

I have no clue what the opposition is trying to make a point about, but I NEVER said anything about every student being more interested in socializing. "Many" is not "everybody", so I would like to ask the opposition to stop putting words in my mouth.

Cheating

"Cheating is already dealt with." The rest of this section in my opponent's case attempts to explain why.

Where is the evidence for this? These are just disingenuous assertions by the opposition. In fact, studies show more students are cheating than ever before. We've dealt with cheating very well. Contrary to my opponent's beliefs, the majority of students are cheating more and feeling no guilt. [2] [3] Also refer to my first round's source. [1]

I request that the opposition should triple-check to make sure his statements are true before posting these outrageous claims. There should be sources and evidence to support it, which my opposition seems to be greatly lacking.

My opponent believes most students who consistently cheat get caught and discipllined. Cheaters I know don't more often than they do, especially if they are smart. There are also people who have limited time, tying in with my second contention, and they are not necessarily those who are not wise with time. If two papers have the same answers, then they either got the question right or wrong. If they have the EXACT SAME response, then I would question their intelligence. Websites that catch plagiarism only match phrases that are exactly the same. I believe I have completely refuted the entire section.

Unequal Time

"The solution here is to offer accomodations such as homework reduction for students who can document extentuating circumstances such as caring for parents."

In order to preserve our value of "equality," homework would have to be reduced for all the students. If only one student was given less homework, a question could be missed on a test because the student never saw the homework problem corresponding to that question, but nobody would realize it.

If a poor student must go to the library, or has to stay after school to complete assignments, more effort has to be put in in comparison to other students. Equality is still being violated. Once again, a documented job to reduce homework would create a homework reduction for everybody. Homework reduction can be a good idea, but it still doesn't make a homework ban a bad idea.

"Even a poor student being raised by highly uneducated parents can learn and do well on homework assignments if they put in the effort."

This student would have to put in more effort to do homework in comparison to those who are socioeconomically better off. It violates our value of "equality."

My opponent claims, "Internet use often is not allowed in the classroom [...] When exposed to schoolwork they don't understand then they don't have the opportunity to go online, and depending on the classroom may only be able to go over text briefly before the teacher leads the class to the next point." Ask the teacher! When someone does not understand a topic, internet is not the only resource. Teachers should and must make sure their students understand everything completely, which is enforced by the No Child Left Behind Act. [4]

The opposition concludes, "The savior of these poor students is homework," lacking clarity and syllogism. This conclusion that my opponent has put out is ridiculous/illogical. The material coming after doesn't really support the statement.

Wrong On Colleges

I never said ALL courses do not require homework, so I am not wrong. Once again, I request the opposition to not falsely quote my arguments. I would still like him to comment on the college courses that do not have homework. What are your thoughts on this system? Do you think this is a good/bad idea?

Not Enough Practice

"Not including homework means the student can go home and forget about practicing the subject."

I have had experience learning a foreign language in a classroom, so allow me to explain the foreign language curriculum a bit. Homework is barely looked at except for easy homework completion credit. Most of us students write in anything that comes to our minds, even if it doesn't make sense. The class time we spend practicing is actually enough, and if it is required, the school day can be lengthened. It doesn't make a homework ban a bad idea.

"If they can't assign homework this greatly limits a teacher's ability to challenge their students with complex assignments."

This is not true. I go to a top school where my English and History courses place heavy emphasis on in-class work. Each semester brings a very important essay done in class called Document Based Questions (DBQ's) or Anchors. Paragraphs are done in class to enforce writing skills, and our homework is mostly to take notes, a supplementary study tool preparing us for college. Alumni come back often, expressing thanks for these in-class assignments that strengthened their writing skills.

On Autism and Social Anxiety

This section is not applicable as I have demonstrated previously. The opposition makes hollow statements without any evidence backing it up. Nobody is "making the normal educational environment more stressful." Special education services can be improved, so a homework ban is still not a bad idea.

Thoughts Through the Child's Head

I never said that the students will let it go quickly. Schoolwork doesn't leave room for things like this in the classroom. Pro has not adquately supported his attack on my rebuttal. The bedroom or library is often a catalyst to social media, thus inducing more stress coming from peers. The classroom is still the best place, where one is completely occupied by work.

The opposition does not provide an adequate rebuttal because poor ability or laziness can be spotted in school and addressed immediately.

IEP

As I have addressed previously, it is busy enough in the classroom. There is no time to think about these social problems because the student must focus on the teacher/schoolwork. Homework is occasionally accompanied by social media, which is a problem.

Thank you. Have a nice day.

[2] http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com...
[3] http://www.nytimes.com...
[4] http://www2.ed.gov...

MasturDbtor

Pro

Thinking Something Does NOT Make It So

Con says "If...versa." Yes, they would actually THINK that. That doesn't mean they are right. Everybody CAN be wrong. That is possible. Everybody used to think the Earth was flat. Now they think it's round. That doesn't mean that our thoughts caused the Earth to become round. It means back then everybody was simply wrong. Similarly, everybody can be wrong about what is or is not a good idea or a bad idea. A better example does anyone think that before World War II it was actually a "good idea" for Germany to be run by the Nazis and it just magically became a "bad idea" when the German people decided it was? That's absurd, and demonstrates my point that just because someone thinks something is a "good idea" or "bad idea" even the majority, or even almost everybody for that matter doesn't make them right. Con's redefinitioning from the commonsense definition of "bad idea" is an underhanded ploy.

Good Equality v. Bad Equality

Con says there is no such thing as good/bad equality. I beg to differ. For instance we could pass a law that everyone must always have an "equal" amount of money completely destroying any incentives to work harder. Con is basing his argument on the assumption that "equality" is good. Equality is NOT always good. Con must demonstrate why this sort of "equality" in this particular case is something good rather than assuming it's good because it's "equality". As it is in some ways this is less equality.

Students Who Care About Academics v. Socializing

My point was simply that there will be exceptions. It's not very equal to ignore these people's needs is it? Furthermore, in the case of students who care more about academics than socializing this is a matter of choice and self-direction. Hence, it's an option to all students to focus more on their homework and not let themselves be distracted. Which leads to my next point.

Difference In Personal Responsibility Merits Inequality

One person takes responsibility, starts a business, and comes to make lots of money because of it. Another person doesn't take responsibility and just continues to work at a dead end job. Should we demand these people be "equalized". That some students will fall behind because of their choice to focus more on socializing than on their studies is their fault and things that are one's fault are fair game for inequality. In fact trying to equalize these things would be unfair.

College Homework

My point was homework assignments are common in colleges. Many degrees require foreign language and that WILL involve homework. Many classes especially in the social sciences or anything that has to do with english or literature will have you write essays.

Foreign Language

Yet the homework is necessary so that you do practice. Even if you aren't required to have the right answers and even if it's a very small portion of the grade, the point is to make sure you are thinking about the language out of class. A homework ban would prevent even that homework. Homework regulations that make sure classes give out the right homework would be better.

Homework Needed For Essays For Deeper Subjects Than Just "Writing Skills"

Maybe in-class assignments are a great way to strengthen writing skills. But what about thinking about and preparing a good essay for specific subjects? I'm in college and have taken challenging courses related to political and social topics that couldn't have been done properly if they were only done in class. The mind can't come up with a quality essay in that short period. For a quality essay one needs to begin thinking and discussing the topic in class but needs to rest the mind for long periods and come back to it. "No homework" doesn't work for deeper, more involved subjects where writing is more than "strengthening writing skills". Some of these essays were 10 pages but doing them greatly enriched by understanding. You can't assign a 10-page essay if you are bound by law to make the students complete it all in a single period. This one problem alone is enough for why a homework ban is bad. I'll grant it's unlikely most students would be taking such involved courses before college, but a homework ban prohibits this, leaving the most gifted to have to take less involved, more boring classes.

Homework Reduction Equalizes Students in Terms of Workload In Everyday Life

In this case in the big picture of things this is equalizing. The student is putting more work in their everyday lives than the other students if they do the same amount of homework. Reducing their homework load helps to level this. The "unequal" aspect here is good, because it's done in service of making something more important than homework load, general workload more equal. There's no reason to only consider school things for equality. Students have lives out of school and considering the needs of a kid as a whole in their everyday life is the only way to advance equality. As to the missing a question on the test problem the homework reduced could be reduced in a way that prevents this. Some homework students have to do is repetitive and covers content they are going over in other homework. So we'd reduce that sort of homework.

Poor Students Have to Put In More Effort Even in Schoolwork Assignments As I Pointed Out

Poor students on average will have to put in more effort whether we have homework or not. If you want to uphold "equality" here then we'd have to force the poor parents to motivate their kids to learn academic subjects a little bit outside of school the same way that many more well-off families do. But that would be too intrusive and difficult to implement. Some inequality here is a fact of life.

Asking the teacher is hard as students tend to have self-esteem issues. If a kid was taunted for being "stupid" in the hallway they're not going to want to ask the teacher a question.
The NCLB Act doesn't guarantee anything if the kids don't talk to the teachers.
If the kid is given an assignment that must be done at school and doesn't understand it that student is SOL. If a kid is given an assignment and it's homework that student has the opportunity to go home and study over the points that they missed and do great on it. Whether the student uses the opportunity is up to the student but that goes back to my point about personal responsibility.

Stress

Con says "Nobody...stressful." Yes, they are. If you can only work at school and school is a stressful place for you then the educational environment as a whole (which would include doing homework when it was allowed) has become more stressful.

Con says "Schoolwork doesn't leave room for things like this in the classroom". As a former K-12 student myself I can guarantee you that being in a classroom does NOT stop thoughts about distractions encountered just before going into the classroom. If you were just bullied, you're still thinking about it. If you just saw the girl you have a crush on you're still thinking about her (and it's even more distracting when she is sitting right in front of you in class). And yes, it does impact whether or not you can follow along with the material in class.

It's true students can be distracted at home, but at home they have more choice. A student can't choose not to be bullied or not to be distracted by his crush. A student at home can choose to tend to his homework rather than play video games or go on Facebook. This goes back to "personal responsibility" with homework the student has a choice about being distracted, with schoolwork the student does not.

Missing the Point

My point wasn't being able to spot poor ability/laziness, my point was being able to spot whether or not the student's real problem is related to the classroom environment rather than general poor ability or laziness. Without homework they have nothing to compare performance with and are likely to think a student is just generally lazy or generally lacking in ability when the problem stems from the classroom environment.
xxx

Con

(I typed up a case, but my browser crashed. Now I have to type it all up again so I am sad. Anyways, Happy Belated New Year!)

Once again, I would like to thank the judge(s) and my opponent for putting in the time to make this debate possible.

Definition

As my opponent states, "Everybody CAN be wrong." This includes our views, such as "The Earth is round" and "The Nazis were bad." I am doing nothing to advocate these statements, but we could be wrong despite thinking these are right. Rene Descartes once almost proved that he knew nothing because his sense could be fooling him, he could be in a dream, and an omnipotent being could be deceiving him. [5] This demonstrates the uncertainty of things, so Pro's belief in a "commonsense defintion" of "bad idea" is fallacious reasoning. I would like to proceed using "bad idea" in accordance to the general will.

Value

Since the opposition has not provided a value of his own, we agree and are bound upon "equality" as our value. There should be no disputes, but I will address Pro's skepticism: read my rebuttal in Round 2. As you can see, my contentions that I use to back up my criterion/value does not apply at all to Pro's belief in a supposed "Bad Equality." The only "advantages" I put out are impossible to re-create. This "Good Equality v. Bad Equality" is completely not applicable.

My Opponent's Arguments

Academics v. Socializing

We are not ignoring people's needs. In addition, "exceptions" are irrelevant to our debate.

Personal Responsiblity

This is irrelevant. By using equality as a value here, we mean equal opportunity for people to learn. The learning environment should be made equal for everybody. Success is judged by the amount of effort IN this equal environment.

College Homework

My point was that some college courses do not give homework. I am demonstrating this system and nothing else. My question to the opposition was to ask about his opinion upon this system. He has neglected to answer.

Foreign Language

If homework was graded, a student with parents who are fluent in that language can pretty much tell all the answers to him/her. This is unfair to other students. Students should be given equal opportunity in an equal learning environment, but of course effort can be put in to guarantee success. The point here is that a Homework Ban would not be a bad idea in this case. Homework regulations are irrelevant because the opposition is supposed to be proving why a Homework Ban IS a bad idea.

Essays

The opposition says, "The mind can't come up with a quality essay in that short period." Who said the essay is supposed to be written in that short period? Students will not necessarily be completed in a single period - contrary to the opposition's assertions. In a class, students can learn and practice. There would be enough time to prepare an assigned essay. In addition, I would like to point out a logical fallacy in the opposition's argument: "a homework ban prohibits this [deep subject courses], leaving the most gifted to have to take less involved, more boring classes." I have already explained how the system after a Homework Ban could work.

Homework Reduction

To summarize what Pro believes: More Homework, Less Effort = Less Homework, More Effort. That is not what we are aiming for. What we are trying to do is create an equal environment for students in order for them to determine their own successes through efforts. A learning environment based on equality is not the same as equalizing efforts. What is more important is equalizing the workloads for an equal leanring environment. If work is done at home, as in homework, there is room for inequality as shown in my contentions that I will restate later.

Effort in Schoolwork

Without homework, teachers will be able to monitor students doing work. This is beneficial to diagnosing what the student is having trouble in. Nothing is difficult to implement there. If a kid was taunted for being "stupid" in the hallway, he/she will attempt to improve upon himself/herself. To do that, the kid will want to ask the teacher a question. If not, then while doing schoolwork, the teacher will see it and help.

The NCLB Act coupled with a Homework Ban will result in teachers being more aware of how students are doing with subjects through schoolwork. Even if the kids don't talk to the teachers, the teachers will still see the trouble spots. The teacher will see the points that the students missed. This is actually more efficient. A Homework Ban is the best of both worlds.

Stress

If stress impacts whether or not you can follow along with the material in class as the opposition claims, then if the student does poorly, the teacher can catch it and quickly pay greater attention on him/her so that the student can catch up with the learning that might have been missed. This will take away distractions easily. Anyways, a more interactive teacher will have no problem getting students involved in learning instead of these distractions, and these are the teachers we are pushing for. Barack Obama, the president of the United States, has pledged to provide better quality education. His education policy includes hiring better teachers, and these are the kinds of teachers we are looking for who will make the classroom a more interactive environment. [6]

The problem, though, is that there ARE distractions at home despite this "personal responsibility" material that is irrelevant.

Using this, I can say: School = No Distractions, Home = Distractions. What should we opt for?

Missing the Point

I understand my opponent's point, but he has no evidence whatsoever to back up his IEP contention. As I have stated previously, schoolwork is the efficient way to judge whether a student is having trouble or not. With homework and its many factors (that I will re-address in my KVI), it is too unreliable to determine a student's real problem.

Key Voting Issues/Contentions (KVI)

The criterion I provide is that students should be given equal opportunity to do well in school.

Homework is subject to many factors, which are my original contentions:
      1. Academic Dishonesty
      2. Time
      3. Money
These are the supposed "advantages" that many students have other others, making homework very unequal.

From this, it is possible to say that a Homework Ban is not be a bad idea. It would ban this "inequality" so that we can provide a more equal learning environment for students, supporting my criterion.

The opposition has neglected to respond to most of my rebuttals in Round 2. He has also not sufficiently attacked my side, so a Homework Ban is still not a bad idea. Additionally, he has not supported our agreed value of "equality" very much. My opponent has also not provided a criterion to work towards. His contentions do little to support his side of the debate that states a Homework Ban is a bad idea. Especially without sources/evidence to back up any of his claims, I believe these are grounds to claim that the negation (Con) has won the debate.

I stand in the firmest negation of this resolution, that people are not strictly against a Homework Ban, and I urge the judge(s)/voter(s) to agree and vote accordingly.

Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

[5] http://oregonstate.edu...
[6] http://www.whitehouse.gov...;
Posted by TheGamer1998 1 year ago
TheGamer1998
I want homework to be banned
Posted by xxx 1 year ago
xxx
Hey MasturDbtor, good debate! I look forward to being friends with you - would you accept my friend request please?
Vote Placed by tmar19652 1 year ago
tmar19652
MasturDbtorxxxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro demonstrated why a homework ban is a terrible idea.