MolecularBird06
BlueSkies

A Language That Everyone Would Know

MolecularBird06

Pro

First Round is Acceptance.
BlueSkies

Con

I don't actually know what that means, but I'm going to assume it means accepting your challenge and topic. I'm all ready.
MolecularBird06

Pro

MolecularBird06 forfeited this round.
BlueSkies

Con

First of all, in order to ensure the broadest, fairest, and most encompassing debate possible, I'd like to introduce a weighing mechanism of net benefits for all of mankind. I'll proceed with this in mind.
My opponent has begun by stating a single contention, that being the assumption that a single language would be useful for understanding one another, bringing up the specific instance of emergencies. And I agree that yes, should we be living in a bubble, my opponents idyllic world view does seem useful and even superior to the one we have today. However, sadly, we don't, and consequently my opponent has overlooked ten specific realities of life that not only make the notion of a common language and its implementation not only less useful than one would think, but also detrimental to society for other, more pernicious reasons.
1. The implementation of such a language would be impossible to complete due to logistical, societal, and fiscal limitations
2. Due to the aforementioned reasons, specific regions would be unable to learn the language, and they would not be able to understand the rest of the world (ironically, exacerbating the issue that was being "fixed")
3. Due to the nature of human society, the language would quickly be bastardized by the cultures of specific areas of the world, hindering communication in the future as different dialects are formed
4. Given the mono-linguistic tendencies of many countries (such as the United States), the implementation of a common language will force the previous language to be lost and with it, much of the culture of the region
5. The roots of the language would have to come from somewhere, and that place being favored could be seen as prejudicial and unfair
6. Attempts at this very goal have been going on for a long time (see: tower of Babel fable) and none have yet succeeded
7. The different speaking styles, syntax, and accents of different regions would hinder comprehension even in a common language
8. The unique perspectives of different cultures, reflected heavily in their language, would be a terrible thing to lose
9. The transitory period in which children were learning this new language would create a barrier between them and previous generations in that they could not communicate well with them
10. Unique connotations of specific words in a language would be literally lost in translation as the whole of human experience (in terms of literature) would have to be translated into the new language
For these reasons, a common language, while useful in an idealistic, short-sighted sort of way, is overshadowed by the overwhelming negative affects it would inadvertently cause. Also, for these reasons, my opponent's initial argument is flawed in that the implementation and subsequent use of this common language would be plagued by misunderstandings between cultures, limiting its usefulness.
MolecularBird06

Pro

MolecularBird06 forfeited this round.
BlueSkies

Con

BlueSkies forfeited this round.
MolecularBird06

Pro

It is a good idea to have a language that every one would know for numerous reasons. This is because business would benefit from this. Also a countries tourist rate would increase. The language doesn't need to be an entirely new language, it ould be a language such as English, which many people already know. Also the language does not need too be a primary language it could be a secondary language, so the languages of today would still be in existences. Today to be accepted into many collages, you have to bilingual, this ensures that old languages won't die out.
BlueSkies

Con

BlueSkies forfeited this round.