atheistman
Lt.Zubin

A Libertarian Society Would Benefit the United States of America

atheistman

atheistman

Pro

A Libertarian Society is one where the only laws that apply are laws that prohibit taking freedoms away from someone else without their consent. These freedoms include life, liberty, and property. In this particular Libertarian society, soft drugs such as marijuana would be legal, along with prostitution, same-sex marriage, and many other things. Censorship would also be very limited because people have the first amendment rights of freedom of speech/expression. Abortion would be legal because a fetus is not a person, and only people have rights to life. This society would be beneficial because it would give citizens maximum freedom without the freedom extended to people getting hurt.
Lt.Zubin

Con

Before I start, I would like to confess that I agree with a lot of what you say. I am in favor of laws that would increase people's freedom of speech and so on. However, I don't believe the only laws necessary are ones that preserve people's freedoms. This may be a central goal of government, but it is not the only one. Governments are also responsible for maintaining law and order and working to create a more prosperous society for its people. I believe, for instance, that there must be limits and regulations on the market in order for it to do its job correctly, while most libertarians would disagree with me. Libertarianism comes in many different forms, however, and so before I give any arguments for my position, I ask that you clarify yours a little. Do you support gun rights? Do you support the legalization of "hard drugs"? I apologize if I am extending the time in the debate in which arguments are not yet made, but I just need a little more information on the position that you will be arguing for.
atheistman

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

'I believe, for instance, that there must be limits and regulations on the market in order for it to do its job correctly'

As a more democratic libertarian, I do agree with this one. This wouldn't apply to people's civil liberties, it applies to economics.

With your other questions, I'm not entirely sure about gun rights, but if I'd have to pick a side then it would be for gun rights. I don't support the legalization of 'hard' drugs, as physical addiction can hurt other people. Physical addiction can cause people to go into rehab, which would be payed for by other people's tax dollars, so I only support the legalization of 'soft' drugs.
Lt.Zubin

Con

Lt.Zubin forfeited this round.
atheistman

Pro

atheistman forfeited this round.
Lt.Zubin

Con

Lt.Zubin forfeited this round.
Posted by Lt.Zubin 7 years ago
Lt.Zubin
You may want to consider restarting this debate with someone else, because I'm afraid I actually agree with you on this topic. Your definition of a libertarian society seems to work nicely with my idea of an ideal government. I am going to request to cancel this debate so you can start a new one with someone who can argue against you.
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
atheistmanLt.ZubinTied