thelemite
govchapman

A National Healthcare System in the United States?

Con Tied Pro

thelemite

Con

My argument is that Universal Healthcare will have a devestating effect on the United States on many different levels. The economy would be ruined, individual freedom will be a thing of the past, and the best healthcare system in the world will be compromised.

I look forward to debating this topic. I only ask that if you accept this debate that you be a citizen of the United States. Those outside the US have valid input, so please feel free to post your additions in the comments section.

Thank You
govchapman

Pro

I'm sorry, are you saying that the U.S. has the best health care system in the world? If you are, you are blatantly wrong. Despite being the number one country in the world economically, we rank 37th on the World Health Organization's list of health care rankings. http://www.photius.com...

Our system is broken and in desperate need of repair. 47 million americans currently do not have health insurance including 9 million children. This is not a problem that will fix itself, we need universal health care.

-Thank you
thelemite

Con

OOOHHH! Well the WHO says it, so that's that. Nonsense! Let"s see, what country came up with the first heart transplant? The U.S.! Which country invented the drugs that have the most effect in dealing with AIDS? The US! Hepatitis treatment, the heart/lung machine, eye laser surgery, polio vaccine, the pap smear, tetracycline etc. etc. etc. All of these were invented in the United States. We have the best trained medical practitioners in the world. Hands down. As a matter of fact, where do a good percentage of foreign doctors come for their medical training? The U.S.! As far as this WHO study goes, I haven't been able to ascertain what exactly the standards were for this study so but I do know that the WHO has a political agenda so I'm not exactly going to rely on their judgement.

Continuing on. http://www.latimes.com...

This link will take you to the L.A. Times article reporting that in 2006 health care costs topped over $2 trillion dollars in the U.S. 2 Trillion! How can anyone in their right mind want the government to double the Federal budget to provide health care? I can only think of two reasons. A)They don't know all the facts. I am referring here to the majority of voters who are supposedly in favor of Universal Health care or B) They are power hungry and are trying to expand the role of government into the industry that is responsible for approx. 5% of our GDP. Actually, I think that number is low but it's the one I'm seeing the most. I thought it was closer to 33% but either way, this isn't the role for the federal government.

Since this debate is scheduled for four rounds, I'll leave off here and save my big guns for the last two rounds.

I hope that my opponent will actually provide an argument this time.

govchapman

Pro

You obviously don't seem to know the difference between medical research, and a health care system. There is a huge difference between the two. Sure we always come up with the most proficient medical research, we should I mean we are the wealthiest nation on the planet. That being said the U.S. has one of the shortest life expectancies of the developed world. We have a higher infant mortality rate than Cuba! https://www.cia.gov... Yeah Cuba that impoverished, undeveloped, communist country that just happens to have universal heath care. I don't know about you, but I find it quite sad that we can't beat a country like that in one of the most vital categories. So if you can't trust the World Health Organization, you could at least get it from our own CIA, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to admit something like that if it wasn't true.

You just gave the reason why the government needs to pick up the cost of health care. The government would not have to pick up the $2 Trillion that you say it will. So much of the health care costs in the current system go straight into the pockets of the CEOs of the health insurance companies. If we had universal health care, it would cut out the middleman, driving down health care costs significantly. I seriously don't understand why you would think that the government would be "power hungry" when it comes to health care. I don't know what about helping everyone get the help they deserve is "power hungry" Just look at where our priorities are now, the cost of the war in Iraq alone could easily cover the cost of universal health care, and then some. If you think about it 5% is not that much, that is the role of government is it not? It is a goal in a mixed economy like our own, to cover the basic necessities, and then let the private sector take over. " I thought it was closer to 33% but either way, this isn't the role for the federal government." How can you just make up a number like that? You seem to have a very distorted view on the true involvement of your own government.

I am interested in seeing what your "big guns" are that you are holding off for later rounds, oh and I wouldn't go around criticizing other people's arguments, yours were not that great.
thelemite

Con

thelemite forfeited this round.
govchapman

Pro

Judging from the latest post, my opponent is no longer with us. I don't want to push the issue further than it has to be pushed, so I'm going to take a knee.
thelemite

Con

thelemite forfeited this round.
govchapman

Pro

We'll, I'm sorry that a four round debate turned into a two round debate, but that is how things work sometimes.
Posted by mindjob 9 years ago
mindjob
Ok. The problem of people leaving links in their arguments that actually argues for the other side is now becoming an epidemic. Not only does con's article point out that medical inflation is double national inflation, it also points out that the government is already spending half of the 2 trillion we spent in the last year in health care. It also gives proof that medicaid has been able to get discounts on prescription drugs of about 30%, while private insurance was only able to get 5-10%, further proving the government's ability to leverage pharma for lower prices. Medicare has also always been the standard bearer for payments, providing a benchmark for payments in the industry. It is beyond debate that the government would be able to leverage a lot of the built in inflation out of the system. Those against universal health care base their misguided opinions on myth and ignorance.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
What good is the best health care system in the world if no one has access to it?
Posted by thelemite 9 years ago
thelemite
I'm sorry but I no longer have the time to spend this much time on Debate.org as I have started a new podcast and all of my writing time has gone to that.

I invite all of you to come listen at www.freedomandliberty.mypodcast.com

I will be addressing this and many other issues that effect the freedom and liberty of individuals in the United States.

Come give a listen and please leave a comment that you heard about it here on Debate.org

Thank you

Rick Pearlstein
Posted by thelemite 9 years ago
thelemite
That's his argument? I'm so disappointed. This one should be easy. I'm going to bed now but I'll be posting soon.
Posted by thelemite 9 years ago
thelemite
Glad to have you all on board. :)

I can't wait till my opponent actually posts an argument. He's debated this topic a few times and hasn't won one yet, so it should be interesting.
Posted by soundofgravity 9 years ago
soundofgravity
I'm excited to see if "the best healthcare system in the world will be compromised" statement will lead to somewhere interesting.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Hmm, this is interesting. I think I'll follow where this is going as well. Although in the future, I would ask that you put your resolutions in the form of a statement rather than a question.
Posted by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
I am a citizen of the united states, and I feel that this is a great topic to debate. I will not accept the challenge for I am a mere beginner in the world of debating. I will definately follow this debate, however.
Vote Placed by griffinisright 8 years ago
griffinisright
thelemitegovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by thelemite 8 years ago
thelemite
thelemitegovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by tjzimmer 9 years ago
tjzimmer
thelemitegovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by mindjob 9 years ago
mindjob
thelemitegovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by big_chief90 9 years ago
big_chief90
thelemitegovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by CharmingAnecdote 9 years ago
CharmingAnecdote
thelemitegovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by schoolglutton 9 years ago
schoolglutton
thelemitegovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
thelemitegovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by govchapman 9 years ago
govchapman
thelemitegovchapmanTied