BillsaClone
Peili

A Pagan Reality

Peili

BillsaClone

Pro

Can it be true that every Christian denomination owes its very existence to Paganism? Including such concepts as Christmas, Easter, and all other theosophical ideas?
Peili

Con

I accept. I have heard the concept before, but I have never seen a coherent explanation of the point. I am particularly interested to see if you can show that Christian denominations owe their "very existence" to paganism, as opposed to just grafting in a few tertiary traditions and titles.
BillsaClone

Pro

BillsaClone forfeited this round.
Peili

Con

Okay, pro forfeited. I still have not heard a coherent explanation of pro"s point.
BillsaClone

Pro

BillsaClone forfeited this round.
Peili

Con

Pro forfeited again.
BillsaClone

Pro

BillsaClone forfeited this round.
Peili

Con

Pro forfeited again.
BillsaClone

Pro

BillsaClone forfeited this round.
Peili

Con

Pro never made his argument. If anyone else would like to take up his case I would be interested in the debate.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Emilirose... As a Christian I agree with you totally. In fact the manger scene in the bible says there were three gifts, not three wise men.There may have been a hundred.And they brought gifts, gold, frankincense, and myhrr.They brought wealth , not any vows of poverty that too many religious people think today. In the Abrahamic covenant God's will was prosperity, not poverty. That poverty nonsense came maybe 300 years after the church got started, and it came through the gentiles, thank God you jewish never fell for that.I am sure there are traditions in your circles that have no root in the Abrahamic covenant.That is what I call the old testament.

Why they picked December 25th, I do not know.But giving is OK on any day.
Posted by Emilirose 2 years ago
Emilirose
History concludes that invariably all of Christmas has Pagan origins, not just Yule Log. The holiday first began as "Saturnalia", which was a Roman Pagan celebration of lawlessness, lasting up to one week.
In 4th century C.E, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival and large numbers of Pagans were converted, on the premise that they could continue the Saturnalia as Christians. As there was nothing intrinsically Christian about the holiday, Christian leaders named Saturnalia's concluding day (December 25th) to Jesus' birthday.

The concept of Christmas has no biblical roots whatsoever.
Posted by Peili 2 years ago
Peili
Emilirose, I think that this is part of what needs to be established in this debate. Certain Christmas traditions, such as the Yule Log, have Pagan origins. That"s not the same thing has Christmas itself having a Pagan origins.
Posted by Emilirose 2 years ago
Emilirose
Christianity in its purest form owes its existence to the Bible. However, holidays such as Christmas do in fact have Pagan origins.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Christianity started in the garden of Eden.Those came much later.And some were instituted by religions made out of Christianity.The only one mentioned in the bible is easter.And that was not mentioned as something for Christians to celebrate.You have religions weak on bible truths,like Catholicism, instituting these things to broaden their appeal to people.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
BillsaClonePeiliTied
Reasons for voting decision: No arguments from either side, but Pro was required to affirm, so Con wins arguments. Conduct to Con for Pro's forfeits..
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
BillsaClonePeiliTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture