bhakun
syracuse100

A Progressive Tax is better and more just than Flat Tax

Started: 4/5/2016 Category: Economics

bhakun

Pro

I will argue that a Progressive Tax system is better than a Flat Tax one.
Progressive tax (n): A tax system in which those who earn higher income pay a higher percentage of their income than those with lower incomes
Flat tax (n): A tax system in which all pay the same tax rate regardless of income

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals, closing statement

syracuse100

Con

I accept this debate. I have always believed in the Flat Tax system and hope to learn some things I did not know from this debate and I hope that you do as well. Good luck to you.
bhakun

Pro

bhakun forfeited this round.
syracuse100

Con

My opponent has failed to make an argument, so I will make one point to secure my win.

The flat tax system will lead to more revenue due and make a simpler tax code. "Simplicity is considered a significant benefit of the flat tax system. One tax rate makes for easy computation by the Internal Revenue Service and straightforward payments from taxpayers. Because the flat tax taxes only one income, it is easier to understand and to report. Taxpayers save the financial cost of complying with current IRS regulations, which often includes lawyers, accountants and other resources." (http://smallbusiness.chron.com...)
bhakun

Pro

The flat tax is simple. Does simple mean fair? Does simple fix the mass amount of poverty and inequality in the United States and other developed countries?

Of course not. My opponent values money over substance. The flat tax is cheaper but that does not mean better.

A flat tax, first off, benefits wealthy individuals more than poor ones. Tax revenues fund institutions such as health care and universities, which the rich can access more easily than the poor. What good is higher quality medicine and medical equipment funded by the state to the poor if they cannot afford it? What good is university funding if they cannot afford university?

A progressive tax would combat this problem by making sure the poor do not fund the wealthy's endeavors.

Also, the progressive tax is far more fairer than a flat tax. A person's one-millionth dollar is worth far less to that person than to a poor person's one-thousandth dollar, and yet both are taxed at the same rate.

Lastly is that progressive tax system allows for the redistribution of wealth and economic growth. Wealth is concentrated greatly in the hands of the elite who store their money in offshore banks. If this wealth was in the hand of a working person instead, this money would be put back into the economy allowing for further growth and redistribution, with the money being in the hands of small business owners, workers, and the poor instead of in the hands of a corrupt banker. While progressive taxation alone wouldn't redistrubute wealth, it would certainly help.

The flat tax disregards equality and true fairness in exchange for pseudo-fairness in which the rich pay as much as the poor.
syracuse100

Con

syracuse100 forfeited this round.