A Resolution to Implement Mandatory Safe Sex Teaching In All High School Sex Ed. Classrooms

Hello! Im hopeing for a good debate!!!! (I apologize for my last one, Im new to this site and only just discovered it. I thought this section was purely for introducing and giving the gist of the debate. I apologize immensely to all that was offended.)

For clarity in todays debate I offer the following.

1. Whereas, Abstinence-only education does not successfully prevent teenagers from
2. engaging in sexual intercourse; and
3. Whereas, More than 1.5 billion tax dollars are spent on funding this unsuccessful
4. education every year; and
5. Whereas, 47% of high school students are sexually active despite abstinence
6. teachings; and
7. Whereas, STD rates among high school students are steadily rising;
8. Therefore, be it resolved by this Palm Beach Catholic Forensic League Student
9. Congress here assembled that: safe sex teachings are made mandatory in
10. all high school Sex Ed. classrooms.

In this debate I will be arguing that since abstinence only does not have a high success rate, safe sex education should be made manditory in all highschools in the us.

Safe sex education will be defined as education that teaches about abstinence as the best method for avoiding STDs and unintended pregnancy, but also teaches about condoms and contraception to reduce the risk of unintended pregnancy and of infection with STDs, including HIV.

Since i realize that this is a difficult resolution to be con for, I offer the following.

This bill would be a mandatory class (students would not be allowed to opt out), and safe sex classes might class with very strong pro-abstinence religions. Good luck!

Good evening. So let me go ahead and say that I accept your challenge. Since you have not done any arguing, only posting what points you are going to defend I will do the same.

1. Abstinence teaching does work because it teaches of the dangers of sexual intercourse and that a ripped condom or some other malfunction can happen and the woman will end up getting pregnant.
2. Scare tactics are used by showing teens how horrible each of these STDs are. This is one of the many reasons why quite a few teens do not engage in sexual intercourse until they are 18.
3. Lowering the education standard to safe sex and not abstinence will further encourage teenagers to have sexual intercourse. It will teach them that safe sex is alright to do.
4. Teens know to use condoms. They choose not to and the male ends up with pre-mature "detonation". (Trying to keep this appropriate for most ages)
5. STDs are on the rise because more and more teenagers are having sex. Safe sex is not always safe. There is a chance that something will go wrong. Teens should not have sex before 18 unless they are willing to accept full responsibility.

I see no reason as to why religion has anything to do with this. Some of the sluttiest people I know are Christians.

Safe sex kind of includes abstinence, but not really. It is more about the proper ways to use condoms and other protective items. The most common safe sex definition among teenagers is the use of a condom.

Many students will find it uncomfortable to talk about sexual intercourse in detail among people from the opposite sex. Students have a right to not take a class and learn from their parents or from an online resource.

If you teach students the various ins and outs of safe sex, they will feel more safe about engaging in sexual intercourse and as a result, will engage in it more.

Hey! the way im going to work this is by negating your points and add in points of my own to help my side.

First id like to start out by negating my opponents first point that abstinence teaches do work. According to Cnn, states with "abstinence only" teachings are leading in pregnancy rates.

According to Columbia University researchers, virginity pledge programs increase pledge-takers" risk for STIs and pregnancy. The study concluded that 88 percent of pledge-takers initiated sex prior to marriage even though some delayed sex for a while. Rates of STIs among pledge-takers and non-pledgers were similar, even though pledge-takers initiated sex later. Pledge-takers were less likely to seek STI testing and less likely to use contraception when they did have sex.

In addition to this, one study, authorized by Congress in 1997, followed 2000 children from elementary or middle school into high school. The children lived in four communities -- two urban, two rural. All of the children received the family life services available in their community, in addition, slightly more than half of them also received abstinence-only education.

By the end of the study, when the average child 17, half of both groups had remained abstinent. The sexually active teenagers had sex the first time at about age 15. Less than a quarter of them, in both groups, reported using a condom every time they had sex. More than a third of both groups had two or more partners.
What all this shows is the inefficiency of abstinence teachings.

On my opponents second point, I would like to see how she/he (im a she btw) goes through with this. I ask for an statistic on the "quite a few" notion, and how this second point helps her case. The Centers for Disease Control control did a study on the amount of teenagers that have sex before they are 18 and it is found that more than 42 percent - or 4.3 million - teenage girls have had sex at least once. That number was 43 percent - or 4.5 million - for teenage boys. The survey also found that teenage girls in the 15-18 age group still have higher Chlamydia and gonorrhea rates than any other age group. Almost half of all new sexually transmitted diseases are in teens and young adults ages 15 to 24 years old.

To contradict my opponents third main point, safe sex teachings teaches the bad results of sex, discouraging it. Like you said in your second main point scare tactics are used discouraging some from having sex. To use an analogy imagine this. take sky diving for example. Skydiving is kinda like sex. For the most part safe but there is that life threatening risk. If you had a class about the dangers of sky diving would that encourage you? Most rational answer would answer "no because its still dangerous". In safe sex ed your taught about the life threatening dangers that may help you come to the sky diving conclusion.

On my opponents fourth main point, while I agree teenagers know how to use condoms, many do not use them. Research has identified highly effective sex education and HIV prevention programs can and will affect multiple behaviors. They aslo achieve many positive health impacts. Behavioral outcomes have included delaying the initiation of sex as well as reducing the frequency of sex, the number of new partners, and the incidence of unprotected sex, and/or increasing the use of condoms and contraception among sexually active participants.

And last but not least point number 5. I understand safe sex isnt entirely safe but it does work for the most part. Between 1991 and 2004, the U.S. teen birth rate fell from 62 to 41 per 1,000 female teens. Some experts attribute 75 percent of the decline to increased contraceptive use and 25 percent to delayed initiation of sex.

I think im going to end my arguments here. Until the next round!

Btw while I agree some of the sluttiest people can be christian I wasn't directly referring to them. Really orthodox christian denominations such as Catholicism or Mormonism have incredibly strict abstinence policy's. Because this class if passed would be made mandatory, it could cause mass conflict with these denominations.

StarTrek forfeited this round.

Aw darn. I was really hoping for a comeback argument on this!!!! Startrek please return!!!!! thanks anyways though this was great practice

I guess I should say my conclusion.

Ladies and gentleman I clearly win the debate. I have rebutted all my opponents arguments while my opponent clearly failed in responded back with attacks on his own. Since I am the only one in this debate to actually post and refute arguments I must urge you to vote pro.

StarTrek forfeited this round.