Speechee111807
Brian1228

A Resolution to Legalize Prostitution

Con Tied Pro

Speechee111807

Con

I will start of with a quote... "I was told that whistling wasn't ladylike, but I knew even then that women were simply not suppose to be that happy." - quoted in Kindling the Spirit by Lois P Frankel. So I ask today...how are women suppose to be happy when prostituion becomes legal?...They can't! Because of this...I stand in the strong negation of the resolution with three main contentions.
(1) The economic issues
(2) How un-healthy it is and
(3) The social effects
Brian1228

Pro

This should be an interesting debate, I was actually hoping to argue this sometime soon.

Just to be clear, Prostitution meaning the act of having sex for money or some other type of restitution.

Anyway, In a general rebuttal of my opponent's first three points:

1) There would be no economic issues, in fact, it may even help the economy because of the tax revenue. Adult entertainment actors/performers do exactly the same thing as prostitutes, the only difference is where the deals take place, and the fact that they film and sell the videos/pictures.

2) The Adult Entertainment Industry has solved this problem as well, Actor/Performers are tested frequently for all Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Viruses and keep a record of all partners they may have had in the previous months. If prostitution was legalized, possible prostitution unions could require that all members get tested monthly, and use safe sex practices.

3) Now, I don't know if prostitution would be considered a respectable profession, but instead of dealing with criminals (Pimps) trying to make money off of the women they protect/control, a person would be dealing with one prostitute, perhaps backed by a prostitution union or brothel house, with no under the table dealings going on. If anything were to go askew, such as the prostitute robbing her client or a client assaulting the prostitute, the person/prostitute could go to the police.
Speechee111807

Con

I would like to thank the opponent for accepting this debate...

Just to point out...the opponent has no points of their own as to why there should be a vote on the affirmation to legalize prostitution so I will post my case and see what will happen in the third round.

(1) The economic issues. Prostitution cannot even be called a buisness when crime, sexual exploitation, and abuse are involved! Why have women and men stoop to such a low level?!? There are other jobs!!! Just because we are in these economic crisis, that does not mean we are going to become less than dirt!!! The Great Depression was way worse! That's why it was called the Great Depression! We have to be strong and not allow these individuals to sell themselves. There are other jobs. Prostituion is not the only and/or best job in the world! If you dropped out of school...you can always go back! If you're young...start working at Fred Meyers! There are many other jobs in the world not just prostitution.

(2) How unhealthy this is! Gross! It's all simple math...All those guys out there...think for a minute...do you relly want a woman who has been with over 20 different guys in one day?!? NO. Ladies...why bother even thinking about prostitution. Compare. Do you want a man who is going to truely love and respect you, to be loyal and be there for you when you need them or do you want a complete stranger who can be dangerous all over you? Not just one...but if you were to enter this industry...you will have over 20 customers a day. Women have been abused! This is not a victimless crime. 47% of women stated that men expect sex without a condom, 73% of women report that men will pay more to have sex without a condom, and 45% of women were abused for insisting a condom. As I have stated before...if you are having more than 20 customers per day...that increases the chances of getting infected. Also, women cannot have high self esteem when they know others who have been abused and?or killed. This only leads to drugs and alcohol to "ease" the pain. STD's, HIV, and/or AIDS can increase and spread around the way that the Swine Flu is spreading around right now. Even if women were to be checked regularly for any infections...there's still no guarantee of not getting infected because not every customers is going to get check out for any infections.

(3) The social effect. Women unfortunately are the "targets" when it comes to prostitution. Especially when a woman is a single mother. Take Octo-mom for example...before the other eight kids that she had, it was rumored that she was a stripper (not much of a difference when speaking about prostitution) Anyway, situations such as those single mothers are reasons why women will be effected more than men. About 98 years ago with the 19th amendment...women gained rights. As women we cannot allow this legalization to continue even if it's legal in some places. What about families? Man cheats on wife, wife gets infected because he cheated and got infected. She wants a divorce and the kids have to unfortunatly deal with it...Is that what we want? To ruin relationships with the "temptetions" of prostitution. Women are also effected because of how socially speaking...women are the majority of prostitutes. Women unfortunately are seen as less than a man take this other scenerio as an example...Boy gets home from school...Dad asks "How was school?" Boy says "It was great!!! I asked Julie out and she said yes!!!"
Dad says "Is she pretty son?" Boy says "Beautiful!!! dad" Dad says "That's my boy" but what if this swithced in this scenerio.....Girl gets home from school Dad asks "How was your day?" Girl says "well daddy...Johnny asked me out today...can I go out with him?" Dad says "No!" Girl says "But, daddy!!" Dad says "No, you're too young" See how as women we are already seen as less in many situations. Why lower ourselves more?!?

If this resolution passes...for those dads out there...in 16-18 years....that can be your daughter out there...as a prostitute. Why? Because it became legal.

Thus, for these three main reasons I urge today a strong vote on the negation of this resolution
Brian1228

Pro

All of my points of contention were based on the idea that Prostitution would be legalized, hence the taxation, union idea, etc. They were not based on any current idea of what prostitution is or implies. However, they were all ideas that showed that if Prostitution were to be legalized, it would not negatively affect the country.

To refute my opponent's current points, as far as the economic issues, yes there are better jobs out there, but you can not always get them. In some instances, prostitution may even be better paying than some minimum wage jobs. Now, if prostitution were to be legalized, these instances of abuse, would be reduced dramatically. I excluded the "when crime, sexual exploitation," part of the argument because by definition, because it is illegal, it is a crime; and because all prostitution is of a sexual nature, it is willful sexual exploitation. The current economic crisis doesn't have an effect on the willingness of a woman or man to prostitute themselves. Prostitution has long been known as the worlds oldest profession, and while other jobs have grown and declined, prostitution has stayed steady. This fact shows that there is always a market for prostitution and is almost a guarantee as for a way to make money.

Secondly, there is nothing unhealthy about the physical act of sex, perhaps minor exhaustion afterwards, but no serious health problems, excluding any people who may have heart conditions. There is however, the unhealthy aspect of the diseases that one may obtain by having unprotected sex. By legalizing prostitution, and Licensing/Regulating it, you would ensure that all licensed prostitutes would not have any sexually transmitted diseases, this would be done similar to when you get your drivers licence and you have to take an eye exam, when you get your prostitution license, you need a STD test, and pending that it all comes back negative, you would get your license. This test would be repeated on a regular basis, monthly for example, and their license would be reissued. A potential client would be able to ask for proof of this license and avoid the risk of any potential STD.
Also, a prostitute is not looking for a relationship with one of their customers, nor is one of their customers looking for a relationship with them. Quite simply, when becoming a prostitute, you go into it knowing that you are not going to meet your true love. I doubt that the exchange between prostitute and client is anymore than "what do you want me to do" and "it will cost you that much". By legalizing prostitution, you greatly decrease the possibility of abuse, because it would be a legal profession, it would be under the protection of the law. Just as you can not assault your accountant, you can not assault a prostitute.
" Also, women cannot have high self esteem when they know others who have been abused and?or killed. This only leads to drugs and alcohol to "ease" the pain." In most cases, it is the other way around, women become prostitutes to fund their drug habit, and their lack of self esteem only fuels their drug habit. The high they get from the drugs makes them feel better temporarily.

Lastly, comparing someone being an exotic dancer/stripper and a prostitute is comparing someone who flirts with men, and someone who sleeps/performs other sexual favors with them. They are two different categories of professions and can not be compared to each other under the same circumstance.

"Women unfortunately are seen as less than a man take this other scenario as an example...Boy gets home from school...Dad asks "How was school?" Boy says "It was great!!! I asked Julie out and she said yes!!!"
Dad says "Is she pretty son?" Boy says "Beautiful!!! dad" Dad says "That's my boy" but what if this switched in this scenario.....Girl gets home from school Dad asks "How was your day?" Girl says "well daddy...Johnny asked me out today...can I go out with him?" Dad says "No!" Girl says "But, daddy!!" Dad says "No, you're too young" "
Men and Women have different roles in society, and no that does not mean I am saying men are superior to women, or a woman's role in society is only to have sex and produce children. But in the scenario you just produced, you did not give the ages of any hypothetical people involved; now if the first boy was 16 and the girl he asked out was 8, I think society as well as his father would have a problem with that. As for the other scenario, if the girl was 16 and the boy was the same age, most fathers, being reasonable and not of a faith that doesn't allow casual dating, would not have a problem with that.

"If this resolution passes...for those dads out there...in 16-18 years....that can be your daughter out there...as a prostitute. Why? Because it became legal."
Just because something is legal, doesn't mean that everyone is going to immediately do it. There are not women lining up wanting to be prostitutes but are only not because of fear of legal ramifications. Most prostitutes grew up poor, with absent parents; They most likely started using drugs at an early age, and dropped out of school. Prostitution isn't a disease that can affect everyone, it is almost exclusively linked to the poor with the exception of those who have used drugs and their life has declined to the point that they prostitute themselves to fund their habit.

I offer that based on my previous arguments that if prostitution would be legalized, there would be few if any negative side effects. 8 of the 16 counties in Nevada have legalized prostitution, and it is one of the leading industries of the state.
Speechee111807

Con

So far the opponent has only been able to refute my case and not give detail of his own case as to why prostitution should become legal...
Seeing how I have already given my case...talking about
(1) The economic issues
(2) How un-healthy it is and
(3) The social effect
I will refute the little information the opponent has provided of his own case...
The opponent has only stated talking about "taxation" we already have enough taxes. We need to stop putting taxes on everything! What's next? Taxing those who are overweight?!? NO! We need to stop seeing taxes as a benefit to every problem this country has!

For the following reasons I have stated, I still urge a strong vote on the negation of this debate. :)
Thank you!
Brian1228

Pro

So far I have refuted my opponents case, and I have given details to the possible benefits if prostitution were to become legal. Well, I tried to keep this a straight forward argument and not bash anything my opponent posted, but at this point, there is little else I can do.

"The opponent has only stated talking about "taxation" we already have enough taxes. We need to stop putting taxes on everything!... We need to stop seeing taxes as a benefit to every problem this country has!"
Everyone who works, with the exception of those who earn under a specified amount, is taxed. There is a Federal and State tax, it is unavoidable. Now, currently prostitutes are not taxed based on their current income, since the jobs they have are by definition illegal, they cant exactly put that down as there job on their tax return. Now, if Prostitution were to be legalized, and the job itself was able to be filed on a tax return as a source of income, it would become available to be taxed. That means it become a source of money for the country to spend on schools, public projects, roadways, and whatever else may be needed.

"What's next? Taxing those who are overweight?!? NO!"
Maybe if we start doing this it would change the fact that America is one of the fattest countries in the world, if not the fattest. But why not start taxing by the cheeseburger, there is a tax on cigarettes and it is common knowledge that those aren't healthy for you either. But that is a debate for another time, lets focus on the possible benefits of legalizing prostitution.

One, Tax revenue. It brings in money, and helps the nation. If every person in the nation is being taxed (with the exception of those not working) why not add this profession into the group, and increase revenue.
Two, With proper precautions and regulations, there would be a great decrease in the diseases transmitted. I don't know the statistics on it now, but I doubt that that current STD situation is being fueled greatly by prostitutes.
Three, What social effect? Women don't want to be prostitutes, it is quite often a last choice. Most of the prostitutes out there today are there because they need to fund their drug habits.

Number one of my opponents argument, consists of "The economic issues" which she cites as the degregation of women. She says nothing of any economic related arguments, other than "There are many other jobs in the world not just prostitution."
Argument Number Two: Its Icky and Gross. Well lets look back on doctors from say 100 hundred years ago, they didn't wash their hands, they didn't sterilize their equipment, and the infection rate was astronomical. But lets think back to the prostitutes from 100 years ago, well they didn't have any of the serious diseases we had today, and anything you may have caught could be cured with a shot of Penicillin; but getting the shot may get you a whole new mess of diseases because we all know how dirty the doctors were back then.
Argument Number Three: The Social Effect. Well, there was nothing in the argument about any effect prostitutes currently have, or would have if prostitution were to become legalized in my opponents argument. Simply the different expectations of men and women. And then of course the scare tactic of "that can be your daughter out there...as a prostitute. Why? Because it became legal." Because we all know as soon as something becomes legal, all of the young men and women line up to do it. (for the record, that was sarcasm)

Read the Debate, it is long but there is some good stuff in there, vote on what makes sense. I hope that will be me, but if you see things from my opponents point of view, then vote for her. Smiley faces and exclamation points will only get you so far, read what is being argued, not what is being twisted.
Vote Placed by fanusc101 8 years ago
fanusc101
Speechee111807Brian1228Tied
Vote Placed by bookwormbill111 8 years ago
bookwormbill111
Speechee111807Brian1228Tied
Vote Placed by Speechee111807 8 years ago
Speechee111807
Speechee111807Brian1228Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
Speechee111807Brian1228Tied