Tophatdoc
toamatt26

A-Series: Can you survive a Zombie Apocalypse?

toamatt26

Tophatdoc

Pro

***READ THE RULES & STRUCTURE***

This is debate is part of a series of debates that I will debating on surviving an apocalypse. This debate in particular consists of surviving a zombie apocalypse. The voters will decide who has the better strategy to survive a zombie apocalypse.

Objective:
1. The primary goal is to have a strategy to survive the zombie apocalypse. Both my opponent and I will begin the zombie scenario in the midst of a fictional metropolis. We can choose to leave for a rural area or suburb if we choose.

Rules:
1.Neither I or my opponent may choose the same items, weapons, tactics, or strategy. The only exception is the location whether it be staying in the metropolis, moving to a suburb or a rural area.

If this rule is broken, my opponent or I forfeit the debate.

Structure:
Round 1- My opponent and I will present the terms of how we will survive the initial week of the zombie apocalypse. We will only have the choice of selecting five items or objects to carry with us. We can choose to link up with a group of five people or less. Or we can chose to survive the zombie apocalypse by ourselves. Either way, only past the first round we can choose to link up with other groups, the military, bandits, or whomever we can think of. We will have this round ONLY to choose if we want to leave the metropolis for a rural area or a suburb.

Round 2-We both will develop our post-apocalyptic plans. Here are some examples of some vague plans. We will discuss our plans in explicit detail.
1)Will we meet meet new survivors and start a colony? If so, what size and how many survivors? What are the objectives of the colony?
2) Scavenge for supplies and food by ourselves or with our small group from the 1st round?
3) Will we look to find a government or military safe haven?
4) Will we be looking to find for a colony of survivors?
5) Will we become bandits or hunters who plan on robbing other survivors?
6)Will we become nomads that roam the zombie apocalypse?

Round 3- We will discuss how we will address the problems with the zombie apocalypse. These three groups must be addressed the military, bandits, and other survival groups. We will discuss what our relations with these groups or types of groups will be. Whether we will ally with other groups, avoid them, or make enemies of them.

Round 4- We will discuss how we will deal with zombie hordes that encroach upon our living quarters or habitat. This means what weapons will we obtain? Will we build fortifications? Is there any training required? Any appropriate gear for combat? Or will we run from zombie hordes?

Round 5-We will describe what are long term plan for survival is. I will leave the imaginations of my opponent and I up in the air for this one.

My Round 1 Case:
I will have to raid a few stores to obtain my items so it can be a bit dangerous. The five items that I will obtain are a katana, machete, backpack, a pack of double AA batteries, and a flashlight. I chose the katana and machete because these are melee weapons which will be good to fight zombies. I chose a backpack so I could pick up food and supplies as I survive. The flashlight will be good at night time to spot zombies and other hostile elements.

http://www.afterschool.com...
http://www.amazon.com...

I will be battling my way to a less populated rural area by myself. I will avoid zombie hordes and ordinary people on the way. I will get to the rural area by way of small streets rather than main roads. The rural area will be a lot less active than the metropolis. The suburb is less vulnerable than the metropolis. The metropolis will have more zombies because there is a higher population to be infected. The suburb is closer to civilization than the rural area. So I am in a position to find more survivors or aid later.

I will temporarily locate a two story house. I will try to kill the zombies in the house. Then go on to fortify the house. I will bar the first floor windows, and cover them with sheets. The sheets wills prevent people from seeing inside. I will barricade the back door with a dresser located in the house. If there is a basement door, I will find a book shelf to barricade it. I will search the neighborhood for home improvement items like planks, nails, and a hammer. Then I will nail the planks to the basement door and back door while keeping those doors barricaded as well. The only door that will be able to be opened easily is the front. At night, the front door will be barricaded as well.
http://www.shutterstock.com...

I will search the distant houses and a local grocery store for food and store it in the home's fridge and basement. The zombies on my searches will be avoided because I am by myself. I will sleep on the top floor away from the windows.
toamatt26

Con

Thank you Tophatdoc for this debate.

I shall state my survival plans for a zombie apocolypse.

In the fictional metropolis, zombies flood the main streets. There are constantly people getting infected due to the abundance of zombies. Unlike my opponent, I will not go through the smaller streets. Other people would go there if they didn't go through the main streets. I wouldn't want to meet up with others because it could raise conflict.

Items
- A pair of night vision goggles (battery powered)
- Solar power charger
- Swiss army knife
- Reusable Water filter
- Portable (Heat sensing) radar

Here are my reasons for each item.
A pair of night vision goggles : The zombie apocalypse that has occurred is new, and most of the city has been infected but not all. The day I gather all 5 my belongings, I will sleep for a full day then start my journey. I would go through the sewers because no one would go there and the only people there, if any, would be one or two zombies. I would need to be able to see in the dark because if I cant I wouldn't know if there is a zombie near me. When i reach the end of the sewers, I would be on the other side of the city. I would get out and i would move on if it was either day or night. I would need to leave as soon as I can before the zombie population gets greater. I would move night and day and for night I would need the goggles.

Solar powered charger : Your generic solar powered outlet. But i would invest in the best quality I could get. It would be good for my radar and my night vision goggles. It would recharge, and I would charge during the day because the sun is out and because I wouldn't use my goggles. I wouldn't use the radar either until I find a safe place to stay.

Swiss army knife : The best tool man kind has created. It would be useful for everything, which I will state in my later rounds.

Reusable water filter : I would need a water source and with a portable reusable water filter I can make everywhere my water source.

Portable Radar: Will not be used until rounds 3, 4, or 5. When I find a base, I will place it down by the solar powered charger. The charger builds up energy over time, so it would power my radar at nights too. The heat sensing, would see any animals, zombies, or other humans, and I would have a head start if any of them came.

Story

As I stated before, I would be in a fictional metropolis with a recent zombie outbreak. I would not go through either the main streets or the less crowded streets because I wouldn't want to run into anyone else. I would go through the underground drainage system. While there, I would use my night vision goggles to move myself around. Despite the smell, there could be one or two zombies there so i would have my swiss army knife ready for any source of combat. I would be wearing many layers of clothing so if any of them got blood stains on them, I could dispose them. My opponent stated that we could either fight the zombies off, or run from them. I would run from them. I would previously be trained with basic combat so if I run into anyone else I would fight if I needed too. After days of walking through tunnels, (I wouldnt run because i want to save energy), I would reach the end of the tunnel. At this point, I would be on the other side of the city. I would make my way into the nearby forrest, and on the way try to catch fish with my swiss army knife. I would also take some water.With the fish, I would go deep into the forest. I would use Solar powered charger's wires to cause a spark that would start a fire to cook the fish. After a few minutes i would dispose of it and climb up a tree for sleeping. When i wake up, it would be day and every day I would go farther into the forest. When i reached a top part of the forest, I would make my camp. At this point I will do too things. One will be I will cut a small piece of wood from nearby trees and make a bow. I would use grass with strong dirt to make a string-like back. I would carefully make many arrows and practice every day to get better accuracy. I don't value violence because I'm trying to run from the zombies, not fight them. I would also climb up trees and use fruit trees for seeds. I would cut the wood and carve it into a hoe for farming. I would place my radar down and plug it into my solar powered charger. I would be near my base and never go too far. I will be isolated. But later things will change....
Tophatdoc

Pro

Thanks for accepting this debate.

From the suburban house I stay I will concoct my plans establishing a colony.

My Personal Tactics
I would avoid getting close to groups of four zombies or more because I am by myself. I would use the katana to thrust intoa zombie if one is extremely close. But if I am surrounded I will use the machete to hack my way out of there.

Organizing My Colony
The first thing I would do is go to a convenience store to ramble up some spray cans. I would use the spray cans to spray on houses near mine. It would say "Welcome to the End." It will serve as a warning to undesirables. I will search other neighborhoods for other survivors.

Once I obtain five or more survivors. The plans for a formal organization will be created. We would start by raid a local super store to steal radios and batteries. We would use the radios to communicate back and forth about zombie hordes, survivors, and bandits. Then we will start a fortifying three safe houses in the suburb I live in. We would use wooden planks to fortify the windows and doors. We would all stay in one suburban house at night. But we change between the safe houses each night for security reasons. In essence, we would use all four safe houses including my original safe house. We would lure zombies to surround our safe houses that we weren't going to be sleeping in. This would prevent survivors from trying to get in them at night.We would name our group the Sons and Daughters of Mars after the Roman war god.

Tactics of the Sons and Daughters of Mars Colony
Every day our group would split into three teams. One team searches for food. The other two teams search for weapons and supplies. If the first team finds the food in a store. They are to burn the store down after they have taken all the food they can carry. This would prevent survivors from trying to camp in our territory. Our objective would be to take as much food from the nearby stores. Then we would burn them down entirely to prevent survivors from living in our territory. We would have all the food in the suburb. The second and third teams will be looking for supplies like medical equipment, melee weapons, radios, and more protective clothing for our colony members. if our survivors come across any firearms, they will only take rifles and rifle ammunition. The rifles will not be used on zombies but some of our survivors will carry it as standard equipment. If any of the three teams come across survivors in our territory,they will eradicate them. Then we will take their supplies for ourselves. We can't allow people to get near our safe houses to steal supplies and food. This is how the rifles will come in handy. If any of our teams come across survivors outside our territory, we allow them to possibly join our colony(if they want) if they pass our test.

In terms of combat, our teams would avoid getting into skirmishes with zombie hordes. They will be only allowed to fight groups of five zombies or less. Every team member will wield a melee weapon. If possible one member of each team will carry a rifle. Members will be wearing face paint to recognize each other . The face paint will also scare off the other potential enemies. The team members will signal each other by hand gestures, not by verbal usage at all. When the radios are used, we will speak in code to each other.

Organization of the Sons and Daughters Mars Colony
The Sons of Mars Colony would have one Commander, which is me. Every one else would be non-ranking. In order to join our colony, one would have to kill three zombies in melee combat as a test. People with children under the age of thirteen would be banned. We would only allow a maximum of fifteen members. Our colony's objective is to survive by any means necessary. This means having strong members in our colony. Also this means preventing survivors and bandits from coming into our territory. "No permit or parley" for people that into our territory without permission.
toamatt26

Con

At first, I would not interact with anyone. As you have read, I was in the middle of an isolated forest. The first thing I would do after I made my camp is I would find any escape routes if any zombie hordes come. I would also create traps for any survivors invading my camp. I would make upgrades for my bow, such as bear teeth for close range combat. I would perfect my accuracy and speed, and I would make myself a training course. Another good part about the forest is that in the forest there are many plants that can heal all sorts of problems. So if I ever do get bit by an animal or a light scratch of a zombie, I could heal myself. Every forest has a peak, and at that peak I will use the peak to scrape off some stone with my crafted wood tools. With it, I will create a new bow. I can make a basket out of wood, and use the basket to hold my arrows. I would put 10 extra stone headed arrows to pierce humans if needed. With my training course, I will enhance my combat abilities, speed, and strength. After many months......

Later...
After many months of my daily routine of farming and hunting, I would start spreading out my territory. I would eventually be running into people. If I do, I would not make contact. Because of my months of hard training, I would perfect close combat and stealthiness. I would sneak behind the people and watch them for many months. They have to follow the criteria: Have no one over 40 years old, Have enough canned or bagged food to last months. They need to have 1 or 2 children above 7 years old and under 14. I would need someone in the adolescent age because if they go through my training course, their bodies have not yet developed and therefore they can get better strength, speed and agility quicker than others. I would make my entrance by at first stealing a valuable thing. I would watch how they would react. If they would forgive, and start a search they would move to the next step. If they hurt anyone, well, lets just say the team leader will have an arrow in his head. The people would also have some sort of combat training. One main criteria is the group needs an abundant amount of women. Not because we need to happily die, but because if we want to survive, we need more man power. We will need another generation to keep our clan alive. Are name? : The Arrows.

Teachings
The first thing I will have to teach my colony is discipline. I need to teach my members that we live together and we die together. in the first few months of their recruiting, each member will have to train for up to 4-5 hours through the training course. Each member will become experienced with a bow and arrow. The women would goo through 2-3 hours of training. Weakness will not be tolerated. The training will include 800 sit ups (in total) 50 push ups every hour, 20 pull ups per hour and 5 rounds through the pre made training course. I personally will supervise the target practice of the bow and arrow. Each day we will try different military strategies.The only person who would get different treatment is the child, who would get much worse treatment. The person who is from 7 to 14 years old, would go through brutal training for a rigorous 8 hours a day. This person is the most important person of our clan because he still has much to learn and if he learns it right he will protect us when we get older, and keep The Arrows true to it's name.

Objective
The main objective of this group would be to survive. We would not raid anyone, but if anyone is too close to us we will have no choice but to dispose of them. Our group will be well trained in any form of combat, skilled at long range bow and arrow distance, and mastered at the art of war. We will continue training before we get on the move. At this point, the boy would be well trained and as skilled, if not more skilled as the rest of us, excluding me. Me and the boy would scout around for longer distances to try to go to the rural areas. The older males of our group would spread out to the flat surface to create transportation mechanism, while the boy and the females would guard the base. The boy would keep watch while the females would go by the river to get filtered water and catch fish. If we get raided by zombies, we would know ahead of time due to the radar. We would continue this, and everyone switch off with the swiss army knife to create more and more arrows for our bows. After we have many crates full of arrows, we start our journey to the rural areas. We will use horses to pull the wagons. The women would be on the wagons sheltered while the 2 of the males and me and the boy would be riding on other horses circling around each crate. We would go in Crosshair formation, having all four horseback riders at each side of the supplies. We would make our way to the rural areas....
Tophatdoc

Pro

***My opponent and I agreed to a change in debate structure because I had mistakenly made only 3 rounds. So we made some structural changes. The last round will include are our short term plans, contingency plans and refutations of our opponents.***

My colony, the Sons and Daughters of Mars Colony would have approximately thirteen members after a year of the zombie outbreak. I would be the leader. We have several safe houses that we can utilize when necessary. We wouldn't need any training because we would be in hand to hand combat with the zombies. Our end goal would be to survive within our suburb while building an army. We would venture to other surrounding neighborhoods in a group of five wit the intention of building an army of survivors. We would continuously send a team to search for survivors every day. We would do this search every day until we had an army of 45 survivors.

Our army of survivors will be equipped with weapons ranging from baseball bats, machetes, and spears. We could acquire the baseball bats and machetes from local retail stores or super stores. We would sharpen spears ourselves. We would also scavenge stores to use items as shields for our people.

Once we have our army of 45 survivors, we will set our plans to wipe the zombies out entirely out of our suburb. Our plans to do this would require us to split into teams of 2 teams of 16. The other survivors would be guarding our safe houses. The two teams will a combination of the square and phalanx formations in order to make a square. The square will be impenetrable with our spears and shields.

Phalanx Formation:
http://patentpending.blogs.com...
Square Formation:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com...

Once we clear the suburb, we will begin our step to building a civilize society once again.

Policy towards the military, bandits, and other survivor groups
If our survivors come across the military, we will avoid them at all costs. If conflict is unavoidable we will be forced to attack in melee combat. We would rather live with our freedom than fall under their control.

Bandits and other survival groups will be crushed if they come across our territory. We can't afford mistakes in the apocalypse.

Refutations
1. "there could be one or two zombies there so i would have my swiss army knife ready for any source of combat"
The Con side claimed in the first round that he would use a Swiss Army knife. The Swiss Army knife would be an inefficient weapon if he encounters more than one zombie. The knife is also short. In order for him to kill a zombie he would have to be so close that the zombie can potentially bite him in order to kill it. He would also have to penetrate the skull to kill the zombie. He would be devoured easily by zombies when he became surrounded. His weapon is not adequate for the zombie apocalypse.
2. "My opponent stated that we could either fight the zombies off, or run from them. I would run from them."
The Con side said in the first round he would run from the zombies. But what would he do when he ran out of breath? Well his option would be to die if surrounded by several zombies because he is too ill-equipped for full scale combat.
3. "my way into the nearby forrest, and on the way try to catch fish with my swiss army knife"
The first round, Con said he would catch fish with a Swiss army knife. This won't work because the knife is a short weapon as I said. Nevertheless, how does he know the fish are not infected?
4."I would make upgrades for my bow, such as bear teeth for close range combat"
In round two, Con mentions that he would use bear teeth for his bow. Where would Con get bear teeth from? That is not a readily available item. He won't be able to find it as easily as he proclaims.
5. " The people would also have some sort of combat training."
Con's people will be ill-trained compared to my survivors. He is in the forest so he would not encounter anywhere near the same amount of zombies I would encounter daily. Therefore, his skills would be dulled compared to mine. I have to search for food and supplies where zombies are roaming the streets. My melee skills and scavenging skills would be far superior to his because I am in an environment with more infected. My group's skills would also be superior as well. We have experience combating groups of zombies while Con's group are practicing theoretically to combat zombies.
6."If we get raided by zombies, we would know ahead of time due to the radar"
The radar wouldn't last all the months that Con suggests. The radar would run out of batteries eventually. Then zombies will attack them without warning.
7."We will use horses to pull the wagons. "
Where would Con acquire uninfected horses? I would say that at this point most of the horses would of been feasted upon by zombies. Also where would he get the supplies to make a wagon? Where would he acquire the knowledge and skills to make a wagon as well?

In ending, I would like to thank Con for participating in this debate. Vote Pro.
toamatt26

Con

As my opponent and I agreed, we will split round 3 into seperate rounds.

Later...
As we make our way to the rural areas, The Arrows would be on the watch for the few zombies we encounter. We would move night and day and switch off using the night vision goggles. When we get to open land, my team and I would build a house by a river. With that said, we would build a trench around the farmland. It would be 30ft deep and 20ft wide, and it would be surrounded by a strong stone polymer. The stone would be smooth so the zombies, if they came, would not be able to crawl out of. It would be connected to the river by a dam which would both provide the water source that would block the zombies, and it would help keep the zombies out from infecting the river. Not only that, but it would provide an energy source which would replace manual power. Our territory would be protected from any zombie horde, but the only threat would be if a person were to build a bridge to cross. If that were to happen, we would know sooner because of our radar. Due to our superiority in training, even if we were to be outnumbered we would easily and strategically win almost any fight. Our territory would be protected for many more generations to come.

Refutes. (This might be long, but still read it when casting a vote) Since my opponent numbered his, I shall do the same.

1. "I will have to raid a few stores to obtain my items so it can be a bit dangerous."

Probably the stores he would raid would be in the main streets, so it would be MORE than "a bit dangerous." There is a great probability that the items he will get won't even be in the stores, and the odds of surviving it while being chased by close to 0%.

2. "I chose the katana ... because these are melee weapons which will be good to fight zombies."

A katana is an ancient weapon that takes years to master, and it is harder than just to swing it and hope for the best.

3. "The flashlight will be good at night time to spot zombies and other hostile elements."

Yes, genius! Because it's not like the zombies can see you or anything. Flashlights are limited to only see what is pointed at so if someone is to the side of you or behind you, well lets just say you'll have a few bite marks.

4. "I will get to the rural area by way of small streets rather than main roads"

My opponent is not the only one to think of this. Most other humans will do the same and he will encounter many fights. Even though my opponent has close range weapons, if he were to be up against another survivor with a gun or any other projectile, he would definitely loose.

5. "I will avoid ... ordinary people on the way."

You cant just avoid those who want to steal your stuff.

6. " I will search the neighborhood for home improvement items like planks, nails, and a hammer"

Why would you just assume there is no one else in the neighborhood? They would most likely not leave their safe homes so once again chances are you are up against someone with a more dangerous weapon than your katana, that you do not even know how to use.

7. "The only door that will be able to be opened easily is the front."

Once again, genius! No one knows to open the front door or anything...

8. "At night, the front door will be barricaded as well.
http://www.shutterstock.com...;

Houses like that do not just spawn out of nowhere. According to your previous statements the suburbs are not that far away from the city, and therefore the chances of finding a house like that (that isn't already raided) are little. My opponent either keeps taking huge risks and hopes for the best, or does not know enough to make the right decision.

9. " I will search ... local grocery store for food and ... in the home's fridge and basement."

There wouldn't be any "local grocery store" for the suburbs you are describing. The nearest one would be a few miles away, and they are most definitely raided by now.

10. " I would use the katana to thrust intoa zombie if one is extremely close"

Other than the small spelling mistake, my opponent states that he would do this if a zombie is "extremely close." By this, I am assuming if a zombie group, circling him, is just a little bit farther than striking distance, he would just hope he doesn't get bit too hard.

11. "But if I am surrounded I will use the machete to hack my way out of there."

Ah, what do you know? Exactly what I said in 10. You would use the machete to "hack your way out of there." Zombies tend to come in big groups and if they surround you, you are not going to get past it by a machete.

12. "The first thing I would do is go to a convenience store to ramble up some spray cans. I would use the spray cans to spray on houses near mine."

Assuming the convenience store is not burned down by now, my opponent stated that he would use the cans to spray on houses "near" his. Wouldn't that exactly tell human raiders to go for your house? If every single other house is sprayed orange, for example, and yours is white, they will definitely come for yours.

13. "Once I obtain five or more survivors."

People would not just willingly join you. You would have trouble finding the people and would most likely die in the process.

14. "We would start by raid a local super store to steal radios and batteries."

Your plans are just like EVERY single other person. The stores would either be raided already, or people would be fighting in them at this time.

15. "We would use the radios to communicate back and forth about zombie hordes, survivors, and bandits."

There are 5 people in your group. Is that necessary?

16. "We would lure zombies to surround our safe houses that we weren't going to be sleeping in"

How? Would you put a piece of fried chicken in the house? Even if you did that you would be wasting food you could be eating yourself.

17. "Every day our group would split into three teams"

Go team of 5! You will have 1.666666666 people in each team. Nice.

18. "They are to burn the store down after they have taken all the food they can carry"

By now, all the food in every store would be taken, and probably the stores would be burned too.

19. "if our survivors come across any firearms, they will only take rifles and rifle ammunition."

Other than the capitalization problem, people would have already done that.

20. "If any of the three teams come across survivors in our territory,they will eradicate them."

Smart. Every team of 1.66... would crush any survivors!!!! Even if there are like 1.7 of them!!!

21. "Then we will take their supplies for ourselves."

They probably would not have any supplies themselves if they are invading you.

22. "In terms of combat, our teams would avoid getting into skirmishes with zombie hordes."

First intelligent thing my opponent has stated all debate. 5 is in fact less than your average zombie horde.

23. "The face paint will also scare off the other potential enemies."

Ahh!!! Monster!!! Actually what I'm thinking is that they will mistake you for a zombie (or a monster) and kill you.

24. "The team members will signal each other by hand gestures, not by verbal usage at all."

You stated before that you got radios. But never mind Everyone likes hand gestures! By the way, you wont use verbal language. Who are you hiding from? Zombies usually don't understand English.

25. "The Sons of Mars Colony would have one Commander, which is me. Every one else would be non-ranking."

Cocky much? Usually this doesn't work because people tend to revolt in order to get that rank (like what happened with Alexander the Great)

26. "We would do this search every day until we had an army of 45 survivors."

45 survivors! Nice! But they will probably just revolt and take everything for themselves.

27. "wipe the zombies out entirely out"

Zombies don't just die. Once they "die", they will respawn and then you will be outnumbered.

28. "Once we clear the suburb, we will begin"

Same answer as 27. You can't just "clear" an area of zombies. They will regenerate.

29. The whole 2nd to last paragraph (excluding refutations)

It just doesn't make any sense. I don't know how to word it.

-
I could go on, but i only have a few hundred more characters left. So now on to my opponent's refutations of my case.

1. "The Swiss Army knife would be an inefficient weapon if he encounters more than one zombie. "

It is nearly as effective as your katana due to your inexperience with it.

2. "The Con side said in the first round he would run from the zombies. But what would he do when he ran out of breath? "

I also stated that I would be in the isolated part of the city, so if I was out of breath I wouldn't have to run from anyone.

3. "how does he know the fish are not infected?"

My opponent never stated that other animals are infected, and it is hard to believe that zombies can swim to catch the fish. Next time my opponent should state what actually caused the zombie apocalypse so there would be scientific evidence that the other animals would not be infected.

4. "Where would Con get bear teeth from?"

For God's sake I'm in a forest. Of course there a bears! They didn't just drop their teeth on the way so I would have to kill them.

5. "Con's people will be ill-trained compared to my survivors. "

Oh yes, because people who sit around raiding pre-raided stores would be more trained than those who train for hours a day. Great logic.

6. "The radar wouldn't last all the months that Con suggests."

Solar powered charger at it's best.

7. "Where would Con acquire uninfected horses? "

Once again, my opponent did not state that other animals were infected. And horses are faster than zombies.

I would like to end with the few characters I have left, that my form of surviving has a steeply better chance of being accomplished than my opponent's plan. I did not provide any links because My opponent only made 10k characters available and I would not be able to fit all the information if I did provide them. Overall, Vote Con.
Posted by Tophatdoc 2 years ago
Tophatdoc
My opponent and I agreed to a change in debate structure because I had mistakenly made only 3 rounds. So we made some structural changes. The last round will include are our short term plans, contingency plans and refutations of our opponents.
Vote Placed by debatinghoe123 2 years ago
debatinghoe123
Tophatdoctoamatt26Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con clearly had a better plan of surviving. Conduct, I give a Con because of Pro's failure to make 5 rounds. Spelling/grammar, there were a few typos mentioned in Con's refutes and by far Pro had better sources because Con did not provide any. Overall, Con had a much more stable way of surviving, and he did not rely only on luck.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 2 years ago
Josh_b
Tophatdoctoamatt26Tied
Reasons for voting decision: There were only three rounds instead of 5. Being that the terms of the rounds were changed, there was not an equal opportunity for pro to rebut con's refutation. So I give conduct points to Pro. Con however had a much more reasonable escape plan and I was especially impressed by the choosing of a solar charger. Although I thought it was odd that con chose a heat sensing radar, as opposed to a motion device which would allow him to see both humans and zombies. Pro's decision to begin warring against other survivors right away really killed any chances of growing to a number 45. He chose a backpack in round 1 which was a waste, being that he couldn't use it until round 2 and then he unlimited access to every thing from unraided stores. Con's resource gathering and team building seemed more reliable pro's.