A Tarantula can make a Nicer Pet than a Dog

First round is for acceptance, second round is for opening arguments and third/fourth rounds are for negative cross-examinations and rebuttals.

The Resolution: Tarantulas can make a Nicer Pet than a Dog

Tarantula: "Tarantulas comprise a group of often hairy and very large arachnids belonging to the Theraphosidae family of spiders, of which approximately 900 species have been identified"[1] Picture:

Dog: "The domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris)[2][3] is a subspecies of the gray wolf (Canis lupus), a member of the Canidae family of the mammalian order Carnivora."[2] Picture:

[1] -
[2] -

To arachnophobes: visual aid will be used to compare tarantulas to dogs.

I accept your debate.

Thank you con; I will now proceed to these wartwarmingly fuzzy arguments that I have proving that tarantulas can make nicer pets than dogs.

Tarantulas can be Cute, Docile:

Cute Widdle Tarantula

Tarantulas can be cute. If the audience doesn't believe me, then just look at this short video clip below:

Just look at how fuzzy and cute she is!

On the other hand, dogs are not always so cute, or docile for that matter. Even the best trained dogs can have their violent moments, and a bite or a scratch from a large dog will generally be more dangerous than a bite from a tarantula the size of your hand. Dogs are very often used by the police force and the military for this very reason - but you can bet that you'll rarely ever find a police/military trained pink toed tarantula.

Military Dog

Tarantulas tend to keep to themselves, and also tend to be docile, whereas a pet dog is going to be much more of a handful, and a pet dog is going to be much more difficult to train. This leads into the next argument...
Tarantulas are Easier to Care For, Not Intrusive:

As mentioned previously, tarantulas tend to keep to themselves. When keeping a pet tarantula, the tarantula will more than likely remain within his/her cozy little home inside of the enclosure the tarantula keeper provided for him/her.

Cute Castle-Themed Tarantula House

Just look at that cute, castle-esque haunted house themed home for that pet tarantula!

Have a dog for a pet, and that all flies out the window. Starting at 2:15 in this youtube video, homeowners found this to be incredibly true with the dog they rescued and chose to adopt:

Albeit this is an extreme case, it goes to show that training a dog is a lot of work, and I am sure that any dog owner will agree. Expect to get up early in the morning to let the dog outside when nature calls, expect to groom your dog, expect to tell your dog not to jump on house guests, expect to train your dog not to jump onto counters and tables, not to eat the dinner off of your plate, not to sniff guests derrieres, not to lick guests faces, not to defecate/urinate on the carpet, and that's all just the beginning. It is likely that things will come up specific to your house, your house guests, or yourself which will create the need for you to train your dog in other areas too.

You would never, ever have to deal with any of that with a tarantula, though. Inside their enclosures, tarantulas can do almost anything they want. At times, you can let your tarantula out of its enclosure so it can explore some controlled areas of your house, but even then, you will not need to worry about any of the things I listed in the previous paragraph all the problems associated with having a pet dog.

As cute as a dog can be, they are a lot of work; but a tarantula on the other hand can be very easy to take care of.

Tarantulas come in Many Different Colors, Dogs only in Somber Browns, Greys, Blacks:

Unlike dogs who are generally seen with black, grey, or brown coats, tarantulas come in many different colors and designs. Take the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (Greenbottle Blue) Tarantula, for example:

Chromatopelma Cyaneupubescens

Notice the bright blue legs, the bright turquoise body, and the orangeish-red abdomen.
And don't forget this latest discovery by scientists:

Typhochlena curumim

Just look at how the purplish-pink contrasts with the deep tones of dark indigo. And don't forget how fuzzy and cute it looks in this picture!

The most attractive dog breeds seem to usually be bred and groomed to look the way they do by people, but many tarantulas do not need any such cosmetic pampering in order to look fascinating.

standard poodle

Eh, it's ok.

Tarantulas can be Collectible:

You read that right: tarantulas can be collectible.

Because of the small size of tarantulas, and the great, great variety of tarantulas out there, it is very easy to own more than one tarantula. In fact, in many videos of tarantula owners that you might find on youtube, keepers seem to like keeping more than one, developing their great big family of arachnids in the process.
This is absolutely not true for dogs. Yes, you could collect various breeds of dogs, but the training would be incredibly difficult, handling multiple dogs would be incredibly difficult, and you might get slapped with some animal cruety fines if your house isn't a mansion big enough to hold them all.
So, you'll have Bob the tarantula keeper peacefully taking care of his ten differently colored, exotic tarantulas, while Jerry the dog keeper will be having difficulty keeping the peace at all with his ten different dog breeds running amok through his house!

I would argue that I have therefore proved the resolution, that "A Tarantula can make a Nicer Pet than a Dog", so therefore, the resolution stands.

I do suppose that depending on the person, type of dog, and type of tarantula, they could make nicer pets. I apologize greatly, and please vote for Pro.

I would like to first point out that no apology is necessary - picking a topic to argue is a large point of debating, which is essentially what my opponent had accomplished.

Unfortunately, it seems my opponent seems to have forfeited the debate before stating any of his/her arguments; a shame, I was hoping for more of a debate. I was expecting that some possible counter arguments may have included that the benefits/rewards of a trained dog outweighs the costs, that dogs are generally more liked/accepted than tarantulas, that a dog can be a loyal companion (man's best friend), and that you can pet/play with a dog where you cannot with a tarantula. Despite this, I will stand by my resolution and will only answer to such arguments and the like if challenged.

If my opponent wishes, he/she may state some of his/her own unique arguments for round 3 - otherwise, he/she may feel free to follow through with the forfeit. Either way I will not make any recommendations for the voters at this time.

In the meantime though, I'd like to ask to ask the voters to please enjoy some relevant and comical visual aid in support of the resolution:

Misunderstood Spider Meme

RobinJ7200 forfeited this round.

I do hope my opponent presents some arguments in the next round. If not, then I would like to thank my opponent at the very least for having the spontaneous will to take on my debate some amount of days ago.

I'm afraid I do not have any arguements anymore, as you have proven that depending on the situation, and tarantula can make a nicer pet than a dog.
I would like to thank my oppenent as well.
Posted by GMX 2 years ago
I will be following this debate.
Posted by juliet1509 2 years ago
50% percent of people are afraid of spiders. 47 of dogs. nuf said