Smithereens
Zacmoo0007

A capella is the correct form of worship

Smithereens

Smithereens

Pro

First round is for acceptance only please, don't post any arguments until round 2.

definitions:
a Capella: without instrumental accompaniment[1]

best of luck to my opponent.

[1]http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Zacmoo0007

Con

Hello again, ben. I thank you for putting out a second debate about cappella music.

Hopefully this will be fun and we'll learn something.
Smithereens

Pro

My opening argument is that since God does not condone it, it cannot be done.
The Old law couldn't fit the expansion of God's attention to the rest of humanity after the Jewish nation ceased to be his chosen people. So the new covenant was made, for everyone else. Its that one which we are under.

My opponent is pretty confident under the illusion that since Musical instruments are not found in the new testament, it is perfectly fine to do whatever we want. This is not true at all. Where the bible is silent, we must be silent too.

Consider the Bible teaching about worship.
John 4:23,24 - We must worship God in spirit and in truth. But God's word is truth (John 17:17), and all truth is revealed in the gospel (John 16:13). It follows that any practice is unacceptable if it is not included in the gospel.

Matthew 15:9,13,14 - Worship is vain (worthless) when based on precepts of human origin. But every religious practice is based either on God's authority, or else on man's authority (Matthew 21:23-27). Since the Bible reveals everything that God ordained, then any practice which is not revealed in the gospel must be human in origin and therefore displeasing to God. [1]

By adding extra to the commands which we are given, we explicitly ignore one of God's commands.
For I testify unto every man that hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book... (Revelation 22:18)

So we see that is unacceptable to add anything to worship practices that are not condoned.

[1]http://www.gospelway.com......
Zacmoo0007

Con

Zacmoo0007 forfeited this round.
Smithereens

Pro

Extend all arguments.
I feel like using this oportunity to launch a pre-emtive rebuttal.
He is probably going to to say that God really doesnt care what we do in the church. I won't put too much effort into this because he might not use it, but whatever God says in the bible he expects to be done. According to scripture, which I won't search up for unless my opponent uses this argument, God does not tolerate the disobediant in the chruch and does not accept anything that is not condoned.

I hope to hear my opponents case in the next round.
Zacmoo0007

Con

Zacmoo0007 forfeited this round.
Smithereens

Pro

Ok, maybe next time. The glass is still half full.
Extend all arguments, blah blah blah. Ill pretend he said thus: The bible condones it via the old testament.
This argument states that in the book of Psalms ('Psalms' means songs), King David sung with instrumental accompaniment while he sang praise to the Lord. If my opponent says that we are to be instructed by the old law, then he must also prove that we must also sacrifice and hold to the ancient Israelite law. We are under the New Testament, not the old, we cannot use any sort of doctrine from the old testament, Jesus said it was done away with due to it being obsolete as it could only be applied to a single race of people.
Of course, that's assuming my opponent would use that argument in his next round.

That concludes imaginary rebuttals that I really shouldn't have done in hindsight. Concluding, my opponent has given very weak reasons as to why we should not use accapella, in fact, the computer has written more on his behalf than he has for himself.
Go computer. Vote pro.
Zacmoo0007

Con

Zacmoo0007 forfeited this round.
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
@DAN123
Thats precisely how to be completely objective and unbiased :D
Posted by DAN123 4 years ago
DAN123
I hope this will turn out as a good debate. good luck to pro and to con as well.

BTW a capella is the correct form of Christian worship in the N.T.
Vote Placed by ObiWan 4 years ago
ObiWan
SmithereensZacmoo0007Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit