Smithereens
Zacmoo0007

A capella music is the correct form of worship

Smithereens

Pro

First round is for accepting, rules and definitions

A capella music is singing without the aid of musical instruments[1]. We wok from the assumption that there is only 1 correct form of worship, which I know you agree with.

Rules:
1) all standard debating rules apply.
2) death will not prevent you posting your arguments.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
Zacmoo0007

Con

An excellent debating topic. I did forget to mention to you that according to the bible it is appropriate to have musical instruments in churches, in fact it encourages it!

Let me point out some bible verses to you (New Living Translation):

Psalm 81:1-3

1. Sing praises to God, our strength. Sing to the God of Jacob.

>>>>>2. Sing! Beat the tambourine. Play the sweet lyre and the harp.<<<<<

>>>>>3. Blow the ram's horn at new moon, and again at full moon to call a festival!<<<<<

I know there are more bible verses but I am unable to find them. It does repeat the same thing as it normally does repeat things but I'm telling you that it is completely normal to be accompanied by musical instruments. I will notify you if I have any more verses.

There is no reason why we shouldn't bring musical instruments into churches. It helps our voices to stay in time and keep a good rhythm. I cannot imagine wait no...I find it impossible to imagine a church that has people only singing with no instruments. It would sound really awkward, for me.

I'm interested to know what you and other people think...
Smithereens

Pro

I would like to start with rebutting my opponents claim that the bible condones musical worship.

The Bible is split into the old and new testaments as you well know. The new testament is where we find the rules that regulate our ethics and morals. The old testament is a history of the Hebrew nation. You agree yourself that we do not use the laws that governed Israel 2000+ years ago. If you did, then you would be asking things like: 'Why are you not sacrificing the best lambs you have?'

With the death of Jesus, the ceremonial law and Levitical Priesthood have ended and we are now commanded to sing with the instrument of the heart, that is, WITHOUT instruments[1].
The old testament has come to a close and we are no longer under the old law. We have a new one that governs humanity ever since the first century. Under this law, we are not given permission to sing with musical accompaniment. The fact of the matter is that: WE ARE NEVER TOLD TO DO IT in the new testament. And we can only use the New testament because the Old testament is now just a historical record for us, not a law.

For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness. (Hebrews 7:18)

And so, in fact, the New testament does not permit Musical instruments.

My argument is that since God does not condone it, it cannot be done.
The Old law couldn't fit the expansion of God's attention to the rest of humanity after the Jewish nation ceased to be his chosen people. So the new covenant was made, for everyone else. Its that one which we are under.

My opponent is pretty confident under the illusion that since Musical instruments are not found in the new testament, it is perfectly fine to do whatever we want. This is not true at all. Where the bible is silent, we must be silent too.

Consider the Bible teaching about worship.
John 4:23,24 - We must worship God in spirit and in truth. But God's word is truth (John 17:17), and all truth is revealed in the gospel (John 16:13). It follows that any practice is unacceptable if it is not included in the gospel.

Matthew 15:9,13,14 - Worship is vain (worthless) when based on precepts of human origin. But every religious practice is based either on God's authority, or else on man's authority (Matthew 21:23-27). Since the Bible reveals everything that God ordained, then any practice which is not revealed in the gospel must be human in origin and therefore displeasing to God. [2]

By adding extra to the commands which we are given, we explicitly ignore one of God's commands.
For I testify unto every man that hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book... (Revelation 22:18)

So we see that is unacceptable to add anything to worship practices that are not condoned. Doing so means CONDEMNATION! D:

[1]The Westminster Confession of Faith states, Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel, as a church under age, ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, His graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits; (Heb. 9, Heb. 10:1, Gal. 4:1–3, Col. 2:17) and partly, holding forth divers instructions of moral duties. (1 Cor. 5:7, 2 Cor. 6:17, Jude 1:23) All which ceremonial laws are now abrogated, under the New Testament (Col. 2:14,16,17, Dan. 9:27, Eph. 2:15–16)" (19:2).

[2]http://www.gospelway.com...
Zacmoo0007

Con

I must agree you have some expeience in debating and you do prove out some points but I will not rebut until next round. I must speak to somebody at my church who is more wiser when dealing with these topics and possibly talk to my church about why we do have musical instruments while singing. Give me some time and with that I rest my case for now.
Smithereens

Pro

Feel free to do that. But do you intend to conceed this debate?
Zacmoo0007

Con

Zacmoo0007 forfeited this round.
Smithereens

Pro

My opponent has conceeded, vote Pro.
Zacmoo0007

Con

No! I do not conceed! All eyes on my argument!

The Bible does not tell you to not play musical instruments. If it does then I would like to see those scriptures. Other than that you have no evidence that the Bible is against musical instruments, neither does it say that you can in the new testament. The reality is, Ben, is that GOD DOES NOT CARE! ALL he cares about is that you:

1. Attend a proper Christian church no matter if they play instruments or not
2. Receive the Holy Spirit
3. Are baptized
4. HAVE EVIDENCE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT! This means SPEAKING IN TONGUES or speaking in an unknown language!!!

This is a rushed post and I wish I could explain to you and everyone else what it means to speak in tongues and etc.

The bottom line Ben is that if you don't have or done all of these 4 things then YOU HAVE NO POINT IN ARGUING OVER THIS DEBATE!!! Get these things right and I'll listen!!! These are the important things that God cares about and if you don't have the holy spirit or if you don't speak in tongues then you have been misleaded. It doesn't hurt to have musical instruments at church. I really don't see how it isn't correct or how it has become such a problem! All the pastors of my church have never heard of capella music at churches ever! It's this sudden thing that you have come up with!

I wish to continue this properly in another debate and I've probably already raised even more debates. Please people see that there is ABSOULTLY no problem in having musical instruments at churches! Pro has not come up with enough evidence to cover his debate and neither have I, sadly. But there is no reason why we shouldn't have musical instruments! I mean what better way to rejoice the Lord! Please Vote for Con!!!
Posted by DAN123 4 years ago
DAN123
this might have been a good debate if con had not forfeited. nevertheless, A capella music is the ONLY music permitted in the N.T.
Posted by Zacmoo0007 4 years ago
Zacmoo0007
I demand we redo this debate! I have more things to point out.
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
The internet has millions of answers to religion cuz there are so many religions james. And dont tell Zac to just use the bible, you need a search engine for that too.
Posted by jamie56 4 years ago
jamie56
well then why dont you check a firsthand source ?e.g the Bible and have you ever wondered why there was a reaoson the net has a millinon answers in regards to religon?
Posted by Zacmoo0007 4 years ago
Zacmoo0007
Are you serious James? The internet is the worst source of information regarding to religious topics! You can get about a million different answers to many different things. And as twisted as this world is i'll never get a proper answer from the internet unless I go to my own church.

I'm not done with you Ben, you just wait...
Posted by jamie56 4 years ago
jamie56
Zac seriously why did take so long? ,why ask poeple opinions when you have the entire internet at your disposal
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
yeah, try and come up with your next argument in 50 seconds, or rebuttals in 2 minutes
Posted by xXFreeDoomXx 4 years ago
xXFreeDoomXx
well normally in REAL debate the time limit is shorter... so thank the time limit
Posted by Zacmoo0007 4 years ago
Zacmoo0007
Yeah I know there's a stupid time limit which really annoys me.
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
Better be quick