aniruddha496
Ayden_Linden

A democratic government is one of the most corrupt forms of government.

aniruddha496

Con

I would give the opportunity to my opponent to argue first.

I only present the clarifications for now:

Democratic Government: A government in which the people elect their representatives for a fixed period of time.

Corrupt government: A government in which the representatives work for their own interest and work against the original and verified policies.
Ayden_Linden

Pro

Well, I find that the term democratic government' to be a very broad term that encompasses many different versions of a democratic government' because there are so many versions and circumstances for the definition of 'democratic government.'

The definition of 'democracy' is as follows:
Democracy- A system of government in which power is vested in the people, who rule either directly or through freely elected representatives.

Now, for ease of recognition of a democracy everyone knows of, lets look at American democracy:
A study from Princeton University was began to answer one simple question, 'Does the government represent the people?' which is the fundamental question one has to ask the government if they want to truly be known as a 'democracy' (the very word 'democracy comes from the Greek word dēmokratiā, which is coined from the terms 'd"mos' (people) and 'kratos' (rule) And the study saw that over a twenty year period, when one draws a graph (say, the X-axis representing the public popularity of any given idea, with the right hand side representing 100% support and the left hand side representing 0%, and the Y-axis representing the likelihood of Congress passing a law reflecting the public opinion on any given issue, with the top side representing a 100% chance of this, and the bottom side representing 0% chance.

In an ideal republic, the graph would show (with a few exceptions of course.) that if 50% of the public like an idea or agree on an issue, that there would be a 50% chance of Congress taking some sort of action in light of this, the same would be of 20%, 80%, and so on, the graph should run on a fairly straight, upwards forty-five degree angle, but, the Princeton study shows that it doesn't even come close to this.

According to the study, on average, if no one at all within America supported an idea (not one.) There would still be a 30% chance of congress acting to the contrary of public opinion, also, if 100% of public opinion was for something, there still is around a 30% chance that Congress would still take action in contrast to public opinion. (public opinion being voters positions they put on the ballot.) So rather than the graph showing a steady forty-five degree angle, it shows a single, almost unmoving straight line.

This can only draw one conclusion; The number of American voters for or against an idea, has little to no impact on the decisions that Congress makes.
To quote the Princeton study directly:

"The preferences of the average American appear to only have a miniscule, near zero, statistically insignificant impact on public policy."

So, when this evidence is being brought to light, when you or someone else say something along the lines of "My opinion makes no difference, the government doesn't care about my opinion." you are far more right in saying that than you might first believe. Because this study reveals that the American government does not care about the opinions of their people, nor do they pass Federal laws reflecting those opinions, thus, getting rid of the very foundation of democracy governed by the people, for the people.
aniruddha496

Con

I would thank my opponent to present such a wonderful argument. However, the scenario presented reflects only the American Government. And the whole world is not America. Also it seems that the arguments tries to prove that the Government does not listen to the public opinion. But it is not the topic of the debate.

For example, I present before you the condition of India. Currently the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) leads the central government. It had got a majority during the 2014 General Elections. Now there comes the opposition parties like the CPI, CPI(M), Congress, Bahujan Samaj Party etc. Each and every one seeks power. And there is the entry of corruption candidates hire goons and murderers to eliminate their opponents. They bribe the polling officers to increase the number of voted in their favour. Money flows in and out. And this is 'corruption', isn't it?

However, as I mentioned that my opponent's argument was restricted within the American territories, I would also not remain restricted to India. According to an article by CheatSheet, most of the corrupted governments are democratic (or democratic republic) in nature. So, it proves that democratic government is one of the most corrupt government.

More arguments would follow in the next rounds.
Ayden_Linden

Pro

Ayden_Linden forfeited this round.
aniruddha496

Con

aniruddha496 forfeited this round.
Ayden_Linden

Pro

Ayden_Linden forfeited this round.
aniruddha496

Con

aniruddha496 forfeited this round.
Ayden_Linden

Pro

Ayden_Linden forfeited this round.
Posted by Ayden_Linden 1 year ago
Ayden_Linden
also, my thanks to you for letting me have the initial argument