tvellalott
DebatingPassion

A global zombie outbreak would be an apocalyptic threat

DebatingPassion

tvellalott

Pro

Hello DDO!

EXPANDED RESOLUTION, RULES & DEFINITIONS
"A global zombie outbreak would be an apocalyptic threat"
By this, I mean that if the dead were to rise and feast on the living it would pose an equal or greater threat to that portrayed in zombie movies. The zombies would essentially destroy society as we know it.

To avoid ridiculous semantical arguments (zombies can't be real; they would blow up like corpses do; wild animals would destroy them), it is a condition of this debate that my opponent agrees that our hyperthetical zombies would function exactly as portrayed in George A. Romero's 6 zombie movies [1].

This first round is only for acceptance, with arguments beginning round 2.

Good luck to my opponent, I hope this is a fun debate.

SOURCES
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
DebatingPassion

Con

Let's pretend for a moment that zombies are real (as if half of you weren't already daydreaming about that very thing). Have you noticed how most zombie movies take place only after the apocalypse is in full-swing? By the time we join our survivors, the military and government are already wiped out, and none of the streets are safe.

There's a reason the movie starts there, and not earlier. It's because the early part, where we go from one zombie to millions, doesn't make any sense. If you let the creeping buzzkill of logic into the zombie party, you realize the zombies would all be re-dead long before you even got a chance to fire up that chainsaw motorcycle you've been working on. Why?

Do you know why we, as humans, are at the top of the current food chain? We are simply too smart and too well-armed for any wild animal to hunt. Now consider the poor zombie. It lacks every single advantage that has kept humanity from being eaten to extinction. It wanders around in the open, it can't use weapons, it can't think or use strategy. It doesn't even have the sense of self preservation to run and hide when it's in danger. And, it's made entirely out of food. It's easy prey for any animal that wants it.

If you're saying, "Sure, but it's not like my city is full of bears that can come eat all the zombies," you need to think smaller. Insects are a major pain for living humans, and in some cases, being able to swat away flies and having an immune system is the only thing keeping us from having our eyes and tongues eaten out by maggots. Zombies in any part of the world with a fly problem are going to be swarming with maggots in short order, meaning that most of their soft tissues will be infested, and their eyes will be very quickly useless.

We'll scale up a bit: In America alone, we have bears, wolves, coyotes and cougars, all of which can put well-armed, thinking, fast-moving humans on the menu, if the conditions are right. To most predators, the "right conditions" are when the animal is weak or infirm, or otherwise generally unable to defend themselves, like a walking corpse. Now imagine zombie hordes wandering Africa. Between lions and cape buffalo (and hippos, and rhinos, and elephants), we'd finally have a disease that Africa is better suited than the rest of the world to defend itself against.

It's generally accepted by zombie experts that they're going to continue to rot, even as they shamble around the streets. What the movies fail to convey, however, is the gruesome yet strangely hilarious effect the hot sun has on a rotting corpse.

The first concern is putrefaction. Thanks to the plethora of bacteria we use in our colon for digesting plant matter, called gut flora, our bodies are ripe for decay the second our heart stops. Since heat speeds the growth of bacteria (which are plenty happy to start feasting on you once your immune system is no longer a concern) the zombie's got a looming expiration date the very second it turns.

Dead bodies bloat because of the gases created by the bacteria, meaning that in warmer areas even Abercrombie Zombies are going to start getting fat in the first few days. After a few weeks of this, the nasty, bloated zombie army is going to start doing something that is simultaneously the most awesome and disturbing thing a zombie can do: they will start exploding. The warm, moist conditions in the tropical and subtropical parts of the world (or even just summer in the temperate parts) speeds this condition, meaning a July zombie outbreak pretty much anywhere would be over in a few weeks just by virtue of the rampaging monsters bursting like rancid meat balloons.

At the other end of the heat spectrum is dry heat. If you're in Phoenix or the Sahara when the apocalypse hits, the zombies might begin to mummify in the blazing sun and heat. While the normal symptoms of dehydration are not a concern for a zombie, there is the problem of desiccation. With no reasonable means of replenishing the water in their cells, zombies walking around in the Texas heat all day are going to suffer cell damage due to direct sun exposure to their skin, and thanks to the drying effect wind has, the Southwestern dead will stumble around more and more ineffectively.
tvellalott

Pro

tvellalott forfeited this round.
DebatingPassion

Con

DebatingPassion forfeited this round.
tvellalott

Pro

tvellalott forfeited this round.
DebatingPassion

Con

DebatingPassion forfeited this round.
DebatingPassion

Con

DebatingPassion forfeited this round.
tvellalott

Pro

tvellalott forfeited this round.
DebatingPassion

Con

DebatingPassion forfeited this round.
Posted by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
LOL, I keep forgetting about this.
I haven't put much priority on it because my opponent didn't read my round one and pretty much argued all the lame points I tried to avoid.
Yawn.

I've still got R4 and 5 to do this, even if I lose conduct.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
This is a disgrace. We're talking about zombies here, people! Show some respect.
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
@tvellalott "Does anyone get the impression my opponent didn't even read my first round?
Never the less... I'll respond soon."

Two forfeits later.....
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
Well, Con does make some good points though, specially about how we could easily kill them off.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
lol
Posted by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
Does anyone get the impression my opponent didn't even read my first round?
Never the less... I'll respond soon.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
xD
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Lol I was wondering why you did that lol ^_^
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
Did i just post twice through lag? lol
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
@Kyro90 lol...I had a zombie dream once... It wasn't pretty - i killed all of my friends. :(
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
tvellalottDebatingPassionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Fail. Pro ffd less
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
tvellalottDebatingPassionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Only Con presented a case. Also, Pro forfeited first and seems to have been online for Round 4 but still presented nothing.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
tvellalottDebatingPassionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Well, CON actually attempted at making arguments. PRO didn't ff in round 4 (lol, a period?)