AspiringMultiCashMaker
Ultrixomnium

A gun ban will effectively reduce crime rates

Ultrixomnium

AspiringMultiCashMaker

Con

Rules

1. The first round is only for acceptance.

2. My contender, whoever it may be, is given the option to troll, as long as it is not done consistently.

3. You may request a change in rules/a rule, definitions/a definition, and/or the debate structure in the comment section. However, you may not [request a change] as soon as you have accepted the debate.

4. Burden of Proof (Will be abbreviated as BoP in case of future word usage) is shared. In other words, [both] Pro and Con are required to present a minimum of one argument, if felt has enough substance, in favor of their positions.

Failure to follow these rules will result in a seven-point forfeiture.

Definitions

Gun Ban - firm prohibition of civilian usage of firearms

Debate Structure

R1 - Terms and Agreement
R2 - Presentations
R3 - Rebuttals
R4 - Rebuttals
R5 - Conclusions

I look forward to a friendly and clean debate!
Ultrixomnium

Pro

I will accept your offer to debate on the occurring subject and do my best to respond appropriately.
AspiringMultiCashMaker

Con

I look forward to a clean and friendly debate!

Presentations

1) A gun ban will only empower criminals

Civilians will be asked to dispose of their firearms, if any, maybe by handing them over to law enforcement. However, as you may have guessed, criminals will refuse, thus empowering them.

If you watch the video I have provided[2], which I feel is very substantial, people agree due to experience. You can not argue against experience. It demonstrates results physically and visually when truly applied.

2) Defensive gun uses

"Sixty-six incidences of defensive gun use were reported from the sample. The researchers then extrapolated their findings to the entire U.S. population, resulting in an estimate of between 1 million and 2.5 million defensive gun uses per year."[1]

If guns were banned, one to two and a half million people would have had their firearms confiscated by law enforcement, thus probably would not have survived the attack.

I am eager to read my opponent's response.

[1] http://www.armedwithreason.com...
[2] https://www.youtube.com...
Ultrixomnium

Pro

Thank you for your statement. I will now proceed to present my argument within the allowance of the rules.

1. Murder and Homicide rates as a result of firearms will be reduced.

Majority of firearms will be confiscated or banned from civilians, which may spark an outrage and an increase in murders and homicides by firearms in the short term, but over time, as the amount of firearms are confiscated or banned increases, the rate, will decrease.[2]

In a study of Brazil from 1996-2005, the number of firearm deaths was steadily increasing until mid 2003, where the firearm related deaths reduced dramatically. [2]

2. Areas with more gun laws have reduced amounts of gun-related Murders.

In a study conducted by the Boston Children"s Hospital, Harvard Medical School and the Harvard School of Public Health between 2007-2010, the "strong law states" had a 42% lower mortality rate than states with reduced gun laws. The same states also had a 40% lower homicide rate and a 37% reduction in firearm related suicide than states with the fewest laws. Said study had also discovered that "laws requiring universal background checks and permits to purchase firearms were most clearly associated with decreasing rates of gun-related homicides and suicides." [1]

According to J. Ludwig, "even imperfect efforts to restrict gun availability to high-risk people can reduce illegal gun use on the margin, even if these regulatory barriers can be overcome in a number of ways by those who are determined to obtain a gun." showing that even if it is not perfect, it is still effective in producing the desired result. [2]

I have stated my opinions on the matter and look forward to viewing your rebuttal. Thank you for your time.

Sources used in argument.

[1] http://www.usatoday.com...
[2] http://www.armedwithreason.com...
AspiringMultiCashMaker

Con

Rebuttal

Firearm-related deaths in Brazil decreased dramatically in response to its passing of gun reformatory laws. However, as time past, it has risen. In fact, according to a report on violence in Brazil, 42,000 people had been shot dead in 2012.

"A report on violence in Brazil says around 42,000 people were shot dead in 2012 - the highest figures for gun crime in 35 years."[1]

My contender argues that if a gun ban was put into effect, there may be an increase in firearm-related deaths in the short term, but over time, as firearms are constantly impounded in response to the upholding of many criminals seeking to commit and/or have committed an act of crime, it will decrease. However, according to observation, that does not look like the case.

According to a study conducted by the Crime Prevention Research Center, countries comprising more gun owners tend to have significantly lower homicide rates.

s://31.media.tumblr.com...; alt="" />[3]

Following the concept of majority rule, a gun ban will much more likely result in an increase, if not dramatic, in gun-related murder rates. A study covering the gun laws of the states of America may favor your side. But a study covering the gun laws of the countries of the world favor mine.

Definitions

majority rule - "Majority rule is a decision rule that selects alternatives which have a majority, that is, more than half the votes. It is the binary decision rule used most often in influential decision-making bodies, including the legislatures of democratic nations."[2]

I am eager, though very anxious upon the realization of my opponent's skills in the art of debating, to read my opponent's response.

[1] http://www.bbc.com...
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://crimeresearch.org...
Ultrixomnium

Pro

Thank you once again for your response, I will now proceed to respond to your claims and rebuttal them to the best of my ability.

The phrase “criminals do not follow laws” or, in your case,will only empower criminals,” is “true for the same reason it’s completely irrelevant to a substantive discussion on gun reform– it’s a tautology.” It states nothing concerning the proper course of action that a society should take in order to improve outcomes on a social level. [2]

In a 2011 study published in the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, found that owning a gun in the household will increase the risks of accidents, suicides, homicides, assaults, and even intimidation.[1]

2) Defensive gun uses

You stated that, "Sixty-six incidences of defensive gun use were reported from the sample. The researchers then extrapolated their findings to the entire U.S. population, resulting in an estimate of between 1 million and 2.5 million defensive gun uses per year."

But, if you read further into the document, you will find that it states that it is a myth and that it is more likely that gun owners are to “accidentally shoot an innocent person or harm a family member,” than defend themselves against an attacker. [3]

Thank you for your time, and I do hope to be able to see what is in store for me in the next round.

[1]http://www.armedwithreason.com...

[2]http://www.armedwithreason.com...

[3]http://www.armedwithreason.com...

AspiringMultiCashMaker

Con

AspiringMultiCashMaker forfeited this round.
Ultrixomnium

Pro

Ultrixomnium forfeited this round.
AspiringMultiCashMaker

Con

I'm afraid I will have to forfeit all seven points to Pro. Given enough time, I believe I can win this debate. However, I am simply too busy. I congratulate my opponent on his first win, and I wish him good luck on his future debates. ;)
Ultrixomnium

Pro

Ultrixomnium forfeited this round.
Posted by AspiringMultiCashMaker 2 years ago
AspiringMultiCashMaker
Posted by Ultrixomnium 2 years ago
Ultrixomnium
You have 1 hour before your response period ends, and will lose you a considerable amount of support. i do hope you manage to respond within that time, as I have enjoyed this debate so far. Thank you for your time, and if you do not respond within the time left, thank you for doing your best in this debate.
Posted by Ultrixomnium 2 years ago
Ultrixomnium
I will also ask that Wikipedia and social media be refrained from used as a source, as it is not always valid, and can be altered. Now, you of course may use the sources within the wiki and use knowledge and evidence from there, but the wiki itself should be refrained from usage. Thank you.

P.S. Otherwise, you're doing a great job and I am beginning my rebuttal to your original statement. :)
Posted by Ultrixomnium 2 years ago
Ultrixomnium
I'm not actually for a gun ban, but I wanted to get a dual perspective on why some may want a gun ban. Plus, it helps increase experience in Debating
Posted by IndianaFrank 2 years ago
IndianaFrank
Why is it people who are for banning guns never seem to be able to tell me how they are going to get the guns away from the criminals. It would be as successful as putting up Crime Free Zone signs...
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
AspiringMultiCashMakerUltrixomniumTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession. Con forfeited all 7 points to Pro.