richarddong
bladerunner060

A hard Riddle for anyone :D

bladerunner060

richarddong

Pro

There is a blind man. The man has been blind since he was born. A mysterious man comes out and says to the blind man" since you are blind, I have a potion that can make you see again." The blind man takes the potion and then he can see. The misterous man goes away and Sherlok Holmes comes. He holds up a red hand cuff and says to the man that was blind but not now," what color is this?" The man looks at the hand cuff very carfully and says "red". Sherlok Holmes says that the potion is fake.

How is that posible?
bladerunner060

Con

Well, presumably, the argument would be that the blind man should have no way to define colors. Therefore, by holding up handcuffs that are red (an uncommon color for handcuffs), the blind man should say "blue", or "black", or really "I don't know". But by saying "red", the blind man betrays knowledge he shouldn't reasonably have, and must have obtained in some fraudulent manner.

However, I think this is an unfair puzzle, as it doesn't provide enough information; Holmes would not theorize based solely on the limited data you've provided.

For example, the answer I provided presumes that the blind man is the potioner's confederate, however, the riddle says specifically (lists as a premise) "The man has been blind since he was born", and also gives no indication that there is any opportunity for fraud on the part of the potioner. Therefore, we cannot actually make ANY inferences as to how the blind man knows the correct color. Could be a guess, could be information we have not been provided. There may be other reasons besides cheating for the blind man to know: Perhaps someone once told him all handcuffs are red, and so when he sees the handcuffs, he assumes they must be red. That assumes facts not in evidence, but so does "the confederate somehow told him", when there is nothing to that effect in the story either.
richarddong

Pro

How is that possible?

YOu cheater you checked it up ;(
bladerunner060

Con

Firstly: No, I didn't. This riddle, as noted by a commenter, is not difficult.

Secondly: It is poor conduct to call someone a cheater without any evidence, although, "cheating" usually requires some kind of rule breaking, which brings us to...

Thirdly: Even if I had looked it up (again, hardly necessary), why would it matter? The point was to debate the question. You aren't on "Riddle.org".

I take it, though, that you concede the debate?
richarddong

Pro

I will come again cheater !!!

Add me as a friend so i could send riddles to you :D
bladerunner060

Con

Then the debate is considered conceded by "Pro".

(And, with all due respect, I'm unlikely to add you as a friend since you've spammed the Debates with your keyboard smashing. Perhaps another time.)
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
DarckShadows, that is not a legitimate RFD, and you are obviously trying to just throw the vote. In my opinion, it's a jerk thing of you to do.
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
Because it's easy. I won't say anything, though. I don't want to steal Con's glory.
Posted by richarddong 4 years ago
richarddong
why is that?
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
This one should've been called "An easy Riddle for anyone."
Vote Placed by DarckShadows 4 years ago
DarckShadows
richarddongbladerunner060Tied
Reasons for voting decision: good good
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
richarddongbladerunner060Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter bomb from Darckshadows
Vote Placed by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
richarddongbladerunner060Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I decided not to give conduct to Pro for calling Con a cheater because (1) I got the impression Pro meant it in fun, and (2) I think Con was being overly sensitive about it. But Con easily solved the riddle, and gave a good analysis of it, so arguments to Con.