Sakushi
bradleycllns

A just government ought to prioritize civil liberties over national security.

bradleycllns has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Sakushi

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate ahead of time. It is my first formal debate on this site, so I think this should be quite fun.

I will be arguing against the notion that Civil Liberties should be prioritized over National Security in a just government. To begin, I would like to define each of our key terms.

For the term just I would like to propose the Merriam Webster definition of the term. "acting or being in conformity with what is morally upright or good"

As this is a quite open term, I would also like to propose a precise definition of 'Morally Upright or Good'.

Moral: " of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior : ethical moral judgments"

For this reason, I believe the burden of the affirmative is to prove in essence that maintaining Civil Liberties will in all cases bring positive and 'good' results for it's citizens, even in the face of a national crisis.

My argument will be broken up into 3 points.

1. In the circumstance that the nation were to fall into war, the indecencies that would likely occur to the civilians would be far more inhumane and painful than the civil liberties that would likely be lost to have prevented such a situation.

2. Justice cannot be focused only on the individual, and must be comparative. For this reason the 'Justice' or 'Good Effect' for all people in the nation outweights the priorities and concerns of the individuals.

3. It is the governments duty to ensure preventive measures against external and internal threats, however people are obliged to a social contract upon entering it. Therefore they should prioritize dealing with objective threats rather than 'playing nice' with their citizens.

I would again like to thank my opponent for this debate, and I eagerly await his or her reply.