dancerchick2015
Neonix

A just government should provide health care to its citizens.

Neonix

dancerchick2015

Pro

I will be arguing the affirmative side of a just government should provide health care to its citizens. Martin Luther king jr. once said; "that Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the most shocking and inhumane." If the people, our people the ones we promised to take care of and protect are complaining that our system of healthcare is unjust then why shouldn't we do something about it?
I would like to start out by giving a few definitions. The definition of healthcare according to merriam-webster.com is; efforts made to maintain or restore health especially by trained and licensed professionals. Government according to dictionary.com is; the political direction and control exercised over the actions of the members, citizens, or inhabitants of communities, societies, and states; direction of the affairs of a state, community, etc.; political administration. A citizen is a native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection. (dictionary.com)
My value is justice. Justice is the quality of being just; righteous; or having a moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause. My v.c is maximizing justice. Because I want to stress the fact that justice is only fair. We as a government are obligated to uphold the safety and wellbeing of our citizens, because if we don't protect them who will.
My first contention is that the government does have a moral obligation to the people. And knowing this we should be willing to do everything in our power to uphold it. Like I mentioned before if we don't take care of our people who will? Jonathan Cohn wrote "I DON'T WANT America to begin rationing care to their citizens in the way these other countries do." All Jonathan wants is the best healthcare he can get. He doesn't want our government to follow the crowd he wants us to be different to be more unique after all we are the United States of America. So why not give him the best healthcare that we can provide. No we won't be perfect at first but at least we can say we tried, and are still trying to provide not only Jonathan but all of our citizens with the best possible health care. So by upholding our duty to the people we are not only strengthening our government but are making our citizen happy which should be what we are striving for. Jonathan is not the only person suffering from not having good health care. Different women around the world got together and made a blog expressing their situations. For example there is a 55 year old lady who suffers from Migraines. She's been diagnosed with an episodic type rheumatoid arthritis. She has a bad back and a hysterectomy...ALL making her uninsurable on private insurance UNLESS her employer covers. The same lady's husband is 62 and has suffered from depression and is totally managed with medication and just went through renal failure 2 years ago… out of work for 6 months. He is now uninsurable. The lady said; "My boss has been covering us on a small business plan that was not so great at $1000 a month for each family (his and mine). Last year it was raised to $2000 a month per family (TWO PEOPLE) on a business policy! We had to cut benefits. Now for $1500/mo. We have a $5000 per person per year deductible. With no dental, vision and prescription at $50 PER prescription for ONLY generic. They will not cover any new drug at all....Those migraines? I get 9 pills a month allotted by the insurance. NINE PILLS - 4 headaches worth. If I need more? It is $306.50 for 9 more! I cannot afford to go to any doctor since my co-pay is $50 per visit. I haven't had more than a 20 cent raise in 5 years because of my healthcare policy. My boss cannot afford both. So they are killing me and killing his family too." This is just one of many people who have suffered from having little or no healthcare; as a government who is supposed to assist people in every way possible needs to do their part in assisting these people with getting healthcare.
My second contention is if we don't listen to our citizens then we will end up like those overseas. Sure everyone would have insurance but when it comes to simple healthcare we would have none. Meaning that people would have to wait hours just to be seen by a doctor who isn't that qualified. This would cause our citizens to die faster. From the years 2000-2006 137,000 people from the ages 25-64 have died from the lack of health care or being uninsured.(https://docs.google.com... ) and just recently in 2009 CNN did a story about how 45,000 American deaths associated with lack of insurance. If we as a government were doing what we were supposed to do the number of people dying from a sickness that can be cured wouldn't be as high. Like I've mentioned before we have a duty as a government to keep our people safe. That includes making sure that they have the best healthcare that we can provide. But finally "…after a century of striving, after a year of debate, after a historic vote, health care reform is no longer an unmet promise. It is the law of the land. (Barack Obama) by this being one of top priority's now our people won't have to worry as much about dying from a simple cold, or even the chicken pox.
Neonix

Con

I accept the debate and I thank the opponent for picking such an interesting topic. I am actually on the fence about this issue. Perhaps this debate will allow me to learn enough to take a defined stance. For the purposes of this debate, I will argue against the resolution. My starting points shall be:

• Every human being ought to be good stewards of their own body, responsible for their own health and well-being. I argue that a Government is no more responsible for your health care, than it is for raising your children. To demand Government health care, would be shifting the burden of personal health accountability.

• Health care costs money. The only way to pay for health care is to maintain an employed work-force to contribute taxes for social programs like health care. That makes Government sponsored health care an oxymoron. If you are employed, you have access to company health care. The only people who who actually benefit from Government sponsored health care, are the unemployed.

• Private health care creates healthy competition between medical providers. It serves as an incentive for doctors to practice quality medicine. Social health care programs would eliminate competition and remove incentive for doctors to provide above-standard care. The patient would lose their person-hood and be regarded as a case number to be absolved, so that an annual health care audit would not flag the case. Social health care would create an assembly line "rotating door" system. (See military Tricare for active duty military personnel).

dancerchick2015

Pro

dancerchick2015 forfeited this round.
Neonix

Con

Argument extended to next round.
dancerchick2015

Pro

one of my rounds said that i forfitted but thats not true. i reposted the same challenge plz go and except the same challenge again. but note this debate is in lincon douglas format.
Neonix

Con

This is very poor form. I'm not restarting the debate. If you wanted this debate formatted, you should have noted this in the resolution. Please forfeit the rest of the debate if you don't plan to finish. A missed round is excusable, the garbage that followed...is not. Finish or forfeit please.

Argument extended to next round.
dancerchick2015

Pro

Okay ill forfeit!!!! its not that important!!!! Im sorry that this is my first debate that my high school teacher is forcing us to do i can really care less!!!
Neonix

Con

Opponent forfeits.
dancerchick2015

Pro

dancerchick2015 forfeited this round.
Neonix

Con

Opponent has forfeited. Please vote Con.
Vote Placed by Lordknukle 5 years ago
Lordknukle
dancerchick2015NeonixTied