headphonegut
bulls26

A just society

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

headphonegut

Pro

This debate is going to be a little different me and my opponent will present a philosophy and how that philosophy makes a just society or you can explain what your ideal just society is. Whoever my opponent is They will have to attack my ideal just society and I theirs whoever has the most logical reasoning and defends there society better wins the debate. Questions In comment section this round is for acceptance. Not sure if this will work though
bulls26

Con

I will accept this challenge hopefully this does work. My opponent has failed to define the key word so i will do so and then we can start.

Society- a structured community of people: a structured community of people bound together by similar traditions, institutions, or nationality.

Good Luck
headphonegut

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate.

I will be using communitarianism as my philosophy and as the foundation of my 'just society'

C1 - Communitarianism -
People are born savage, but can become virtuous. They are born ith human potential, but they must be made human. infants are born physically human but they are psychologically, socially and morally animal like. Human beings thus have the potential to become moral and virtuous, but have no innate values. It is through the community that human potential is developed. Human beings do not exist outside particular social contexts. it is erroneous to depict individuals as free agents. We are all social animals, members in one another. Children raised outside of culture, by animals or people who provided them with little more than food become beings who are fundamentally animal-like, not human. They are aggressive, snarling creatures unable to speak. Humanness is achieved through socialization. Communities like the family, schools, and churches instruct the child in vales and tradition o a particular culture. The child grows into an adult who internalizes these values - that is, people bond with parents, peers, and people they respect in the community.

C2 - Just-
A just society is one which is balanced between individual autonomy and community standards of morality. A just society seeks equilibrium between individual autonomy and society's standard of morality. A just society requires an order that is aligned with the moral commitments of its members. Standards of morality are necessary for societal order. Individual liberty and freedom is morally justified and critical for self-development. Society becomes unbalanced and undesirable when there is either excessive individual liberty or there is excessive/oppressive order.

C3 - excessive -
An excessive emphasis on individual freedom undermines and endangers the morality and values of the community. If one has the right to pursue any action only on the condition of mutual consent, morality is lost and order is diminished Excessive order clearly undermines indvidual freedom, and government control can mean virtual slavery. A just society will follow a new golden rule: " Respect and uphold society's moral order as you would have society uphold your autonomy.

The desired balance is achieved not by laws which may result in tyranny of the majority bu by voluntary compliance with the norms of society. The order of a just society relies heavily on normative means; education, leadership,consensus, peer pressure, pointing out role models, exhortation, and above all, the moral voices of the community. A just society thus relies on persuasion and education to establish values, not law.

thank you.
bulls26

Con

bulls26 forfeited this round.
bulls26

Con

bulls26 forfeited this round.
bulls26

Con

bulls26 forfeited this round.
Posted by Agnostic86 5 years ago
Agnostic86
Ah ok. I have my own philosophy of what a just society is.
Posted by headphonegut 5 years ago
headphonegut
I don't know what don't you try to accept Or don't accept at all
Posted by Agnostic86 5 years ago
Agnostic86
Okay, why can't I accept?
Posted by headphonegut 5 years ago
headphonegut
Don't and that was very fast
Posted by Agnostic86 5 years ago
Agnostic86
Interesting. Very tempted to debate.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
headphonegutbulls26Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
headphonegutbulls26Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
headphonegutbulls26Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.