FoleyWinterman
LeMarquisDEnfer

A justifiable statement?

FoleyWinterman has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

FoleyWinterman

Pro

I despise religion but I do not despise people who are religious and have complete respect towards them. Can this statement be justified?
LeMarquisDEnfer

Con

The winds were somewhat taken out of my sails due to somebody posting a similar point down in the comments, but I feel like I should still move forward since the debate was posted!

I ask you, how do you feel about sports, food, forms of media, etc? Are there any that you truly despise? I am sure you can think of at least one sports team or TV show that makes your blood boil. Now, do you feel guilt about disliking these things on account of other people liking them? I would hope not. And you should not feel more guilty because they decided to make it a part of their core identity.
Posted by Schuhler 1 year ago
Schuhler
It can be justified. Religion in itself is a human flaw, a complete idiocracy on the minds of billions. However, religion is an institution that has been brainwashed into many without them knowing otherwise. I cannot truly judge a person for being religious, because 99% of the time, that's what they were born with, and it's what they know to be true. The only time I can truly judge a character on what they believe is conversion to it, because that is seeing the way things are, making your own opinions about it, and STILL deciding religion was a reasonable option.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
People garner respect, ideas do not.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Anyway..A statement is not justifiable..
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
I do not despise people..I despise religion..Not because i despise dreams..But because life is not a dream...And religions always become nightmares....We are not dreams/religions. But humans who can dream.
Posted by RR-MKIV 1 year ago
RR-MKIV
Yes. I can despise chocolate [And I do] but not people who eat it. I can despise the Twilight Saga, but not people who read it.