ethopia619
tvellalott

A mac osx is better than a desktop computer

ethopia619

Pro

Okay. I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Round 1: Please Accept, no arguments
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Arguments
Round 4: Arguments and Wrap Up

Definitions:

We all know what it is. Just in case:

Better- of superior quality or excellence
http://dictionary.reference.com...
Desktop Computer- a Compaq Princeton computer (old version)
tvellalott

Con

I'm going to assume that my opponent is either comparing the time-equivilant hardware and software of macs and pcs are the time of the compaq princeton.
However, since a search on the HP website (Compaq merged with HP in 2001) found no results and even the mighty Google had difficulty finding anything remotely related to "Compaq Princeton" I think we should work out exactly what we are debating.

I suggest a Mac vs PC and/or a OSX vs Windows debate, you can choose any era of computing you'd like to compare, except Vista, since I frikkin' hate Vista and wouldn't argue positively for it. If you want to discuss this further, we can do it in the comments section.
ethopia619

Pro

I'd like to thank Con for accepting this debate. The Windows vs Mac is great.

Let's begin!

1. Rumors

The Mac OSX is rumored to not have any viruses. This is true, but not entirely, because many people did not have viruses if they bought an OSX. Windows, nah. I had a Windows computer, but it got a virus easily. There is not a Mac virus yet.
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com...

Thank you. I will start off a bit slow.
tvellalott

Con

I'd like to begin by saying that I really hate Macs.

My opponent has based his first argument on the premise that there are no viruses known that affect OSX in any significantly harmful way. A quick Google search will tell you that this is quite possibly true and I won't contest it.
I just wonder if my opponent actually read the article that they posted. It isn't very pro-Apple or pro-OSX if you ask me.
In fact, it covers a whole lot of points which explain exactly why there are no "Mac Viruses" and I'll expand on them...

1. Minority of the market
---------------------------------
Now, I understand that being a massive minority of the market would explain why Mac's had LESS viruses, but it doesn't explain why there are NONE. I think it doesn't alone explain it, but it does take a step in the right direction.
This [1] shows that Mac's have just one tenth of the market for computers in the US.
Now, a quick refresher lesson in how viruses work. They spread by attacking exploits in large numbers of machines. Automatically, by designing a virus that goes after OSX, it's going to be one tenth of the efficiency.

2. Making changes to the OS environment
-----------------------------------------
The next point that I'd like to make addresses the fact that because OSX uses a Unix-based kernel [2] and file-system it is less vulnerable to self-replicating code, because it doesn't allow the user to run any executables outside their own memory space. Again, this is true. However, this very fact is the reason that so much software has to be specially designed for Unix-based systems, from the various flavours of Linux (Ubuntu, yum!) to OSX and more often than not, simply cannot be built to run on these systems. Gamers, you know what I'm saying.

3. What's the hell is a virus anyway?
--------------------------------------
Finally, who the hell worries about viruses anyway? Those things are archaic relics of the past. While the term 'virus' is used by layman to describe all manor of computer nasties, it is actually malware (you know, trojans, spyware, worms...) that is getting the most attention from black-hat coders these days and Mac's sure as heck aren't immune to that. (See my opponents article for some examples)

The fact remains that comparing OSX to any pre-7 Windows software is always going to make Windows look like a syphilis-infected whore. Do you want to put your data into that?
However, the release of Windows 7 sees a significant closing of the gap between the integrity of their security features. I can tell you from first-hand experience that Windows 7 is a strong unit. Viruses that would have you formatting your XP installation, bounce off Windows 7 like it's wearing a virus-proof vest. Coupled with a strong anti-virus program like Symantec Endpoint Protection and this resolution is negated.

[1] http://gigaom.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
ethopia619

Pro

I'd like to begin with a quote,

"I like both Macs and Windows." ~ Ethopia619. However, on to the debate:

1. You have to admit, one tenth of all computers is a lot. This means that since Macs have less virus than Windows, Macs are safer to use than Windows computers. Definitely.

2. Gamers

Yeah, I'm not a programmer for games. I don't know what you're saying. Sorry. Please drop topic.

3. Viruses

I do. Windows contain many more viruses than Macs. Viruses went into my Windows desktop and basically destroyed my computer, while my Mac still lives on.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Round 1 Opponent's Hates

In round 1, my opponent states that Vista stinks. Well, http://news.cnet.com... states that Windows 7 is basically Vista with a few fixes. If you hate Vista, you hate Windows 7, thus leaving you hate Windows.

2. Costs

Apple computers usually cost about $129, while Windows 7 is much higher in price. Mac books are have a better price advantage than most of the computers.
http://www.pcworld.com...
http://news.cnet.com...

==> Conclusion

The Mac book OS X is cheaper than Windows 7. OS X does not have much viruses, compared to Windows. This means that OS X is safer to surf with than Windows. Therefore, the Mac book OS X is better than Windows 7. Thank you and happy holidays!
tvellalott

Con

Thank you to my opponent for his hasty reply.

REBUTTALS:
(Due to the nature of my rebuttals, they will be in a different order than the argument that are addressed at.)

QUOTE: "In round 1, my opponent states that Vista stinks. Well, *SOURCE* states that Windows 7 is basically Vista with a few fixes. If you hate Vista, you hate Windows 7, thus leaving you hate Windows."

I love that you used an article that was written four months before the actually release of Windows 7 and judging by what's written, the journalist who wrote that article hadn't even used the Beta. Windows 7 is infinately more advanced than Vista, while still being completely user friendly. Here are two lists of the best features of Windows 7 [1] [2] if you don't believe me.

PRICE:
---------------------------------
Well, well. This is definately an interesting position to take. While it is true that Snow Leopard or OSX 10.6 (which is based on Unix, which is open-source, moving on...) is cheaper than 7, I can't for the life of me work out where you got your $129 figure for Apples from.
Rather I would compare these two $800 computers, one a Macbook [3] and one is a Toshiba [4]. Every specification of the Toshiba is better.

VIRUSES
-------------------------------------
"Viruses destroyed my Windows computer"
This is almost impossible, but perhaps your CPU fan was shut down by a virus, causing your computer to die. This is irrelevent. The fact is, that most viruses and malware are caught by people doing something they shouldn't. Any decent virus protection software (like the type built into OSX, but provided by third parties for Windows) will protect you. If, you are doing something you shouldn't AND you don't have any virus protection, there are usually signs that something is wrong and ample time to find a solution. If you let it go for a long enough amount of time, your computer might die. More than likely, someone like me could fix it anyway.

Anyway, if someone was so foolish as to allow that to happen, they should be given an abacus instead of a computer.

GAMES:
---------------------------------
"Please drop topic."
I think it's entirely relevent that Windows has infinitely more software avaliable than Mac. The reason that this is possible is part of the reason that the Windows enviroment more vulnerable. You don't understand what I'm saying? I basically paraphrased what your own article said... Moving on.

CONCLUSION:
Windows 7 has been out for over 12 months now. The few early bugs have been smoothed out and a whole bunch of drivers for older hardware have been released. Why? Because Windows 7 has the same specifications as Vista, while being a superior and generally more pleasant piece of software to use.
I've shown that while it's true that OS X is stronger, security-wise, than Windows, the fact that an overwelming amount of publicly desired software is unavaliable for Macs is the main and strongest strike against Apple. Security is a null argument anyway, because using some common-sense and freely avaliable software, one can completely protect 7, while being able to choose from the vastly superior range of games and applications.

SOURCES
--------------------------------
[1] http://www.pcworld.com...
[2] http://www.pcauthority.com.au...
[3] http://www.amazon.com...
[4] http://www.amazon.com...
ethopia619

Pro

Thank you for your fast responses. Good luck!

> Price

$129 was from my source: http://news.cnet.com... . Although the Mac book is heavier than the Toshiba, the Mac book clearly has many other benefits that are not listed in Toshiba. http://www.amazon.com... and http://www.amazon.com... . As posted on http://www.computing.net... , someone stated that the Toshiba was slow and everything and that the Mac was a big improvement. It changed her life.

> Viruses

Yup. My rather old Windows desktop computer died. My cousin went on it and played a game, which basically destroyed my computer. http://hubpages.com...

> Games

Okay. Thank you for elaborating on it. You also agreed to some of my points. You stated that the Windows environment is very vulnerable, which means that there are more viruses on Window than Macs. Macs now include many softwares on PCs. http://hubpages.com...

=> Conclusion of Debate with Additional Comments

As you can see, the Mac book OS X is very much overpowering the Windows computers. I urge a Pro vote. I thank my opponent for accepting this debate and give him good luck on his future debates. Happy Holidays!
tvellalott

Con

FINAL REBUTTALS
>Price
I don't know if you're reading the articles you're posting, but the girl clearly says her laptop was old. Of course a brand new mac is going to be faster than it.
>Viruses
You've avoided the point about silly people doing things they shouldn't and not having virus protection. I find it very hard to believe your ‘cousin' just ‘played a game' and it ‘destroyed' your computer.
>Games
I'll quote this one.
"Okay. Thank you for elaborating on it. You also agreed to some of my points. You stated that the Windows environment is very vulnerable, which means that there are more viruses on Window than Macs. Macs now include many softwares on PCs. http://hubpages.com...;
I never stated that the Windows environment was very vulnerable. I stated that the Windows environment was more vulnerable as the cost of functionality. I did agree with you that there are more viruses on Windows and I explained why.

CONCLUSION
My opponent's main argument throughout this debate was that because Mac's are significantly more robust in regards to virus and malware infection, that this makes it the superior operating system.
However, my main argument against this point has not been addressed at all. I have explained exactly why Windows has so many more viruses. I've explained that this fault can be countered with intelligent computer usage, like using any of the number of Anti-Virus software packages available and not clicking the flashy box that says "You've won!". I've explained that the main reason for this fault is also a benefit in another context.
The resolution is refuted. Vote Con.
Posted by laleona89 6 years ago
laleona89
I looove Macs I have one and it's totally awesome better than my sisters which is a PC. She never uses hers because she thinks mine is better than hers. Right now I'm using a PC ahhhhh I hate it, I had to leave mine at home because I'm with my family 7 hours away from home and I totally prefer Mac. Still Macs are better for some reasons and for some reasons they suck, also for some reasons windows suck and for some they don't. It's depending on what you are gonna use them or your taste in computers.
Posted by lewis20 6 years ago
lewis20
"The Mac book OS X is cheaper than Windows 7. OS X does not have much viruses, compared to Windows."
You're still comparing a computer to an operating system and used your windows computer crashing as an argument ... not very convincing.
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
I have no idea what debate you're looking at blackhawk1331...

RFD:

Agree before and after: Con - I agreed with his stance beforehand and Pro was not able to put forth a case which would change that.

Conduct: Tied - I saw no blatant violations of conduct.

Spelling and Grammar: Tied - I would say the proficiency in getting their points across was equal.

Convincing Arguments: Con - No doubt, Con took this one. Con was able to broaden his contentions and then use factual content to support them. Pro used the, "Well, that's what happened to MY computer" argument which is not viable. There's no way to a) prove what he's saying IS true or B) prove the cause of any (supposed) malfunctions were due to Windows 7's faults. Con, overall, substantiated his contentions and never said, "Drop ____".

Reliable sources - Tied
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
Oh yeah and a destroyed computer =/= a destroyed operating system.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
I'll give you the conduct point, but the rest of your RFD is rubbish blackhawk. You clearly don't know how to not use your own bias. Regardless, I've challenged you to a debate.
Posted by blackhawk1331 6 years ago
blackhawk1331
Here's a breakdown of my vote for all who are interested.
Agree before and after - Pro, it doesn't matter, there are no points here.
Conduct - Pro, Con used tons of language that seemed to infer they were getting frustrated/angry.
Spelling and Grammar - Pro, I was constantly finding errors in Con's arguments. Way more than in Pro's.
Convincing Arguments - Pro, none of Con's arguments are valid as shown in my previous post.
Reliable Sources - Pro, Con used Wikipedia.
Posted by blackhawk1331 6 years ago
blackhawk1331
I have many, many things to say.
First of all, anymore most games can be played on Macs. If I tried to find a game that didn't play on a Mac I'd have A LOT of trouble.
Second. A game can destroy a Windows computer. Trust me, I played a Lego game on my grandfather's computer when I was little, and the computer was constantly freezing and/or crashing. The computer was terrible.
Next, on a Mac you can click the little flashy box that says "You Win" and not get a virus. I do it all the time because the boxes are just annoying.
Next issue, Trojans and all those are viruses. Let me explain. Let's pretend you're back in the tim of the Greeks. For arguments sake, we'll call the Greeks viruses and the Trojans your computer. The Greeks couldn't infiltrate Troy, so they created the Trojan horse. They piled into and "left" it as a peace offering. When their ships sailed away and the Trojans thought it was safe, they went and got the horse. After awhile, the Greeks snuck out and massacred the Trojans. In short, the Greeks(viruses) build a disguise(Trojan), and invade and destroy Troy(your computer).
Now, of course Toshiba has some specifications that are better than a Mac, the Zune has some specifications that are better than the iPod, but that doesn't make it a better product.
Now you say that there are many things that a Mac can't run but Windows computers can. Name 5. You can't because Mac can run Windows ergo Mac can run anything Windows can.
I know many many people who don't like Windows 7. So, you can't say it's better.
If you want to compare some software that is pre-windows, you can talk to my friend. About years ago he was still using a Mac 1. It ran better than any Windows running computer I've ever used.
Finally, I have to use Windows 7 everyday in school. I HATE IT!!!
I will end with a stock quote.
Apple - $325.25
Microsoft (creator of Windows) - $27.99
Microsoft used to be substantially higher than Mac. It is now hundreds of dollars lower. Microsoft is
Posted by Shtookah 6 years ago
Shtookah
I have a mac and its pretty bad asss but on games.. Im afraid PC takes the cake so to speak
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
I didn't add any sources to the last round, but if you want you can go to http://www.lmgtfy.com... there is 55,000,000 results.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
WINE is good, but I don't run Windows 7 on an Ubuntu install, I run Ubuntu virtually on a Windows 7 install. I only need a Linux enviroment for a few things, the rest of the time Windows 7 is awesome.
Vote Placed by blackhawk1331 6 years ago
blackhawk1331
ethopia619tvellalottTied
Vote Placed by lewis20 6 years ago
lewis20
ethopia619tvellalottTied
Vote Placed by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
ethopia619tvellalottTied
Vote Placed by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
ethopia619tvellalottTied
Vote Placed by marker 6 years ago
marker
ethopia619tvellalottTied
Vote Placed by Postup10101 6 years ago
Postup10101
ethopia619tvellalottTied
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
ethopia619tvellalottTied