Homo-Sapiens-Are-Futile
GWindeknecht1

A majority of crop farmers in the United States are wealthy.

GWindeknecht1
Started: 10/28/2011 Category: Economics

Homo-Sapiens-Are-Futile

Pro

Please argue! I allow you an ancillary round; not because I'm arrogant but candidly because apathetic!
GWindeknecht1

Con

I would first like to begin by thanking my opponent for beginning the debate.
I will argue the negative. The burden of proof lies upon myself to prove that the majority of farmers are not by definition "wealthy".
But first to define the controversial term. Wealthy: as defined by Princeton University as "(wealthiness) wealth: the state of being rich and affluent; having a plentiful supply of material goods and money; "great wealth is not a sign of great intelligence" (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...)

So to determine the winner in today's debate, each side must prove that farmer have, or have not, great amounts of material goods or money.

I negate the resolution.

Farmers today do not have excessive amounts of money. In fact, according to the Economic Research Service for the Department of Agriculture, in 2010 the average farm made approximately $54,370 USD per year. (http://www.ers.usda.gov...)
According to the U.S. Census Bureau in 2005, the average household makes approximately $50,233 US per year. In comparison, farms typically only make just above the average household income. Therefore, the average, or majority of farmers cannot be classified as wealthy.
Naturally though, there are the exceptions to the average. There are farmers who make more than $250,000+ USD per year. However, this can hardly be considered the majority today. Since the question is whether or not the majority of farmers are wealthy, we can clearly see that yes, they make above the average income, however this can hardly be viewed as "wealthy" in terms of my definition.
Thank you, and I wish my opponent the best of luck in today's debate.
Homo-Sapiens-Are-Futile

Pro

Homo-Sapiens-Are-Futile forfeited this round.
GWindeknecht1

Con

Extend everything. Vote con. Thanks.
Homo-Sapiens-Are-Futile

Pro

GWindeknecht1

Con

Extend everything. Vote con.
Vote Placed by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
Homo-Sapiens-Are-FutileGWindeknecht1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit