Letsdebate24
saxman

A middle class president would be more efficient than a wealthy one

Letsdebate24

Letsdebate24

Pro

Present you first argument as to why a middle class president would not be more efficient.
saxman

Con

I accept this challenge. Im guessing that you think a middle class electorate would be better. I don't think one would be bad, I will argue that businessman would be better, as one of America's biggest trials right now is debt.
Letsdebate24

Pro

Precisely what my point was going to be, America is over 16 trillion dollars in debt and more of that debt has been accumulated by the business type presidents more than any other. Problem is they were all wealthy to begin.
In 2012 nearly 50 million people or 16% of Americans live below the poverty line. Nearly 49% of Americans consider themselves to be middle class which has an average income of $51k per family. Not individually but a family. The average family has at least 1 child. That is barely getting by and now with the new Obamacare being put into effect these people are being forced to purchase health insurance that many people couldn't afford in the first place. This is going to have severe consequences on the youth as well. Especially those trying to work their way through college since the majority of them live in poverty as it is.

There has not been a president that has grown up living in poverty or even the middle class in the last 80 years. Since there is a debt trail going on today we are in desperate need of a president that knows the value of a dollar. Those that grew up wealthy literally cannot understand what it is like to worry about the electric being shut off or your children going to be hungry. They don't have to worry about providing health care for their family or repairing the family's only car. Every day problems do not cross the mind of the wealthy therefore they cannot understand the life of the average American. They may be faced with financial troubles but they are not the kind the middle class would face.
For example: Michael Jackson was one of the richest celebrities around and yet he was buried in debt because his spending habit was out of control. He bought a theme park for his property and all kinds of fancy cars. These are by no means necessities these are spoils of a lucrative life. The same can be said of every celebrity who encounters financial woes.

So a middle class president who knows what it means to be middle class, who knows what it means to have to budget would be the ideal candidate to deal with such a debt. They would be far more likely to deal with these debts and keep the best interests of the middle class in mind when doing so. The lower and middle class know better than the wealthy how policies can affect the people. The middle class is shrinking, the national debt is growing exponentially and we have had a long line of wealthy businessmen like presidents to get us where we are today. Its time for a real change!

http://money.cnn.com...
http://aspe.hhs.gov...
http://www.npc.umich.edu...
http://www.theatlantic.com...
saxman

Con

saxman forfeited this round.
Letsdebate24

Pro

I await my opponents return
saxman

Con

Sorry, my laptop had a little breakdown, but its fixed now. And i completely agree with you about the Obamacare law. It is a horrible thing. and Also i don't want someone who was rich by birth. Let me clarify, i Think a businessman would be better. An entrepreneur. They understand the value of a dollar, but they also have much business experience. that is my point. We need a president who knows about business, not just politics. i think I agree with you on much of the points you stated. Im no some rich elitist. Im in the middle class myself. I am a strong advocate of entrepreneurship in America. The government is too involved in the everyday life of an American. An upperclass businessman understands of value of independence more than a middle-class person. I think someone like Mitt Romney would have been a good president. He practically saved Sports Authority, The Winter Olympics, and others. The last thing we need is an elitist person, but we need someone who can make he tough decisions.
Letsdebate24

Pro

We have had many businessmen serve as president in the last couple of decades and yet they have continuously driven the country into debt by an order of magnitude. Clearly having a businessmen in charge is not the answer.
We are at 17.2 trillion dollars of debt and George W. Bush contributed more debt that any other president before him until Obama came along. Bush and his father (also added to the national debt) were businessmen though not entrepreneurs. The wealthy have had their shot at running the country and proven to be highly inefficient.
The ruling class create laws and policies that do not affect them so they cannot possibly know how it would affect someone else's life.

Billions/percent added

77"78 1941"1945 Roosevelt +203 +67.1%
79"80 1945"1949 Roosevelt, Truman -8 -24.4%
81"82 1949"1953 Truman +13 -21.7%
83"84 1953"1957 Eisenhower +6 -11.0%
85"86 1957"1961 Eisenhower +20 -5.2%
87"88 1961"1965 Kennedy, Johnson +30 -8.3%
89"90 1965"1969 Johnson +43 -8.3%
91"92 1969"1973 Nixon +101 -3.0%
93"94 1973"1977 Nixon, Ford +177 +0.2%
95"96 1977"1981 Carter +288 -3.3%
97"98 1981"1985 Reagan +823 +11.3%
99"100 1985"1989 Reagan +1,050 +9.3%
101"102 1989"1993 Bush Sr. +1,483 +13.0%
103"104 1993"1997 Clinton +1,018 -0.7%
105"106 1997"2001 Clinton +401 -9.0%
107"108 2001"2005 Bush +2,135 +7.1%
109"110 2005"2009 Bush +3,971 +20.7%
111"112 2009"2013 Obama +6,061 +18.5%

saxman

Con

saxman forfeited this round.
Letsdebate24

Pro

Laptop breakdown again?
saxman

Con

saxman forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Letsdebate24saxmanTied
Vote Placed by Hierocles 3 years ago
Hierocles
Letsdebate24saxmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Saxman forfeited so clearly Letsdebtes24 has the win
Vote Placed by paigeb 3 years ago
paigeb
Letsdebate24saxmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I did agree with con in the beginning. It is not a fact that I am proud of saying, but the more wealthy people are, the more educated they are usually. I did have to vote pro for the reasons that con forfeited many times. I feel this could be a great debate if the rounds were executed properly.