thegreatdebaters
joshuaXlawyer

A mosque near ground zero

joshuaXlawyer

thegreatdebaters

Pro

Resolved: A mosque should be allowed to be built near ground zero

Now that President Obama has addressed and amplified the issue, the political debate over the construction of a mosque near Ground Zero is being felt far from Lower Manhattan, in political races across the country.

But candidates could find it difficult to straddle the issue, as Obama did, by expressing their support for religious freedom while refusing to take a stand on the construction of the Islamic center.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

I must negate this resolutions that a mosque should not be allowed to be built near ground zero...

First we have to look at why such a place has to be built near ground zero at all? Why is this such a issue for the people who want the mosque near ground zero? The people who oppose the mosque are not being evil by saying they don't want the mosque built near ground zero, they are merely saying that for the respect of those who lost their lives to the extremists of that particular religion. Its a sign of disrespect , to the families and the dead. We as people should look at how others feel,or believe and understand that. So why are the people in favor of this mosque not understand that even if they did not want or take part in 9/11, they have to understand that there religion was. People who believe it was just was part of their religion, thus giving the families and citizens a bad memory of their particular religion. By building this mosque here your are starting conflict, you are starting an issue with those citizens effected or offended , were there was none. As they try to get over their bad feelings toward Muslims, but by doing this you are starting conflict, pushing them right into acceptance. This won't do anything but cause more emotional pain , for those families; and more anger for those offended people. By letting them build this mosque you are causes more prejudice disputes, Allowing for anti-Muslim groups to form similar to the KKK. Killing,bulling, just doing anything possible to make there lives horrible; this is not what we should want. Back to my first question is to why a mosque has to be built in a particular spot were people know will take offense, its makes them sound like they are trying to be offensive to these families. So if they are not trying to be offensive to the people of those families in 9/11 why not try to build it else where? Think about that thought, why does it have to be here, of all the places you could choose; why the one place you know it will be controversial?
thegreatdebaters

Pro

thegreatdebaters forfeited this round.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

Ok then i will start by saying my opponent did not refute my opening statement nor my contention so he must agree with it. I urge the Judges to vote negative or con whichever you perfer.
thegreatdebaters

Pro

Although I have forfeited the last round I believe that the voters should still vote on my sides for many reasons starting with the fact that it is against the 27 amendments for this to be prohibited. Honestly, I would understand if a mosque was building built on the resting place of ground zero, but the fact is; it's not. I understand most people are against it, but that is truly because they want the people who organized the attack to be brought to justice. This mosque will only not benefit Muslims but all cultures. This plan of a 9 story building, more than 3 BLOCKS away from ground zero will have classrooms, a caf´┐Ż, and a place to be at peace and worship. This is part of the reason I think a mosque should be allowed to built near ground zero

joshuaXlawyer

Con

Um all his attacks are useless since he did not address my case so he must agree with it there for he cannot argue against my arguments there for you must negate.
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
JoshuaXlawyer

No need to get worked up. You made better arguments than your opponent.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 6 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
And i'm not debating that the have freaking rights i arguing that they ought not to you idiot stop voting stupid bias votes because you disagree with my side big deal i won the debate cus he did not refute any of my points.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 6 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
dude you would just vote a bias vote your a piece of crap m93 you know i won for my opponent practically gave up nor attacked my case!
Posted by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
The US exists?
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Josh, debate me on this if you really think you can make a good case against the ground zero mosque. Trying to argue against it is like trying to deny that the US exists.
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
You make good points. As a matter of practice, I agree that placing a community center, or really any building of contention, in a place where it is likely to draw harm or endanger itself or people in it isn't the best course of action. However, I still stand by that as a matter of ideals, and legalities, the community center should be placed where its' plans indicate.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 6 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
yeah but in this , the topic is a mosque not a community center, or so i thought but also my another valid points to this are

"however there is a slight discontinuity with this particular example. First, those individuals who are speaking out against this center are not representative of the families of 911, they are voicing their own individual fears with regards to a religion they don't understand."
Even if they are not representatives of the 9/11 families, they still experienced 9/11 they saw what the people who misrepresented the Muslim to them. They have some ground to fear on , but either why if it is built we have no idea how those against it will react, bomb threat? arson? We could possible have in the worse case possible, we could have another something similar to virgina tech massacre. By making this center here will cause conflict, and if the people who want it built would see these problems arise they should try to build it else where.

Second, the point of the center is to help reduce intollerace of other religions. Compromising with the intollerant would ultimately defeat the purpose of such a center.

I agree with this one but they will be putting themselves at a risk by building it there.
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
joshuaXlawyer:

You bring fourth a valid point about compromise and tring to maintain the peace, however there is a slight discontinuity with this particular example. First, those individuals who are speaking out against this center are not representative of the families of 911, they are voicing thier own individual fears with regards to a religion they don't understand. Second, the point of the center is to help reduce intollerace of other religions. Compromising with the intollerant would ultimately defeat the purpose of such a center.

While I agree that the builders could consider other locations, they are still well within their rights to build at that location. The only people who should have any say at all are those who live within that community.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 6 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
wait my first comment was to gizmo and the secound on to spaztoid sorry
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 6 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
joshuaXlawyer: to gizmo1650

What of the muslims who died in that attack? Are we to ignore their religion because others of their religion did something agressive?

There is absoletely nothing insensitive about this proposal other than what the ignorant have created. Even if someone claiming to be of a specific group killed my parents, girlfriend, siblings, of friends, that wouldn't justify me in hating the religion/race with which they identify. The builders of the community center are fighting racial intolerance, soit is admirable they have so adamently refused to bend to the will of the intolerant.
Yes, you are very true but will this eliminate prejudice in he future? no, will it make each religion more tolerant of each other in the future? no, In all respects they should both try to compromise but this isn't going to happen. Also by saying this , if it is built with no compromise then we can expect the opposing side to retaliate by either constant protest or worse.
I am not debating on the side of a particular religion, I am saying that we should try to promote peace or keep it.
Vote Placed by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
thegreatdebatersjoshuaXlawyerTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
thegreatdebatersjoshuaXlawyerTied