TrenchMouth
RougeFox

A person's political voting power should be based on their IQ.

RougeFox

TrenchMouth

Pro

Simple. My argument is that a vote from a person with a (relevantly) high IQ should count for more in a political election than a vote from a person with a (relevantly) low IQ.

My opponent may make a basic opening statement (similar to mine), but the debate will begin in the 2nd round.
RougeFox

Con

My argument is that any eligible voter's vote should count for the same amount.

Before we begin, I have a brief question:

See as both me and my opponent are from the United States, would I be correct in assuming that we will keep the debate limited to United States?
TrenchMouth

Pro

A person's IQ is based on their "Mental Age". It's far more important that a voter has the reasoning skills necessary to make informed voting decisions, than simply being at least 18. I argue that stupid people should not be allowed to vote, and the smarter one is, the more their vote should count. This is especially important due to the fact that corporations and unions can spend unlimited amounts to sway the "sheeple".
RougeFox

Con

1. IQ test is flawed

A.) There can be a large discrepancy between different tests

From 1946 to 1953 the Cleveland juvenile court psychologists used the Healy Picture Completion test as a non-discriminating intelligence test. On this test over 30% of the children tested received IQ scores of 110 or over. When the HPC was eliminated only 9% of the children scored at 110 or over. Thus, some voters would be disadvantaged because of the test they take

B.) IQ Test is racist

According to Al Siebert, Ph.D. , author of The Survivor Personality, vocabulary tests often use words that middle-class white people are more likely to know. Thus, the tests themselves are racist and thus voting would be racist. Racism in voting would undermine America’s core values and is something that we need to avoid.2

2. Giving everyone an IQ test is impractical

A.) There aren’t enough psychologists

According to the American Physiological Association, there are approximately 93,000 practicing physiologists in the United States. According to the U.S. Census, there were 207,643,594 eligible voters in 2008. When you do the math that is one psychologist per approximately 2,233 persons. According to iqtest.com, an adult IQ test can take from 1.5 to 2 and 2.5. Even if the tests only lasted 1.5 hours, each psychologist would have to spend 3,499.5 hours (approximately 5 months) of administrating tests alone. That is way too much. Psychologists have other things to do, like see other patients, make a living, sleep, eat, and have a life.

B.) Waste of Time

While these IQ tests are being administered, people will miss work and that will likely hurt the economy

3. Undermines America’s Values

We all should have the right to vote. There should not be discrimination, and this plan would discriminate.

Refutation

He does not show how the ability to do well on an IQ test affects a person’s ability to make informed decisions. He also does not show how scoring well on a flawed test makes a person less likely to be swayed by unions. Thus, he has no impacts.

I have shown that the IQ test is flawed which is why we must not use this. If it doesn’t measure intelligence then it is won’t even achieve what pro wants. Even if we did do this, the smarter, more informed people would not be getting more voting power

It is completely impractical.

He doesn’t establish any impacts, he has no warrants, and even if you buy his case my impacts outweigh.

I will post any links to sources on request

Vote Con

TrenchMouth

Pro

TrenchMouth forfeited this round.
RougeFox

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfieted. Extend my arguments. If he wants to make a rebuttal in the final round he can because I will still get a chance to defend myself.
TrenchMouth

Pro

TrenchMouth forfeited this round.
Posted by BennyW 5 years ago
BennyW
medic, that is a great point.
Posted by medic0506 5 years ago
medic0506
"...vocabulary tests often use words that middle-class white people are more likely to know. "

That's a bogus argument. Middle class white people take the same english classes that everyone else takes.
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
Wish I could take this but I'm trying to cut back on debates. 100 in 2 months is too much.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
extend arguments to 72 hours and you have a deal.
Vote Placed by BennyW 5 years ago
BennyW
TrenchMouthRougeFoxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Aside from just the forfeit, con's arguements that he was able to make were better.
Vote Placed by medic0506 5 years ago
medic0506
TrenchMouthRougeFoxTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
TrenchMouthRougeFoxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Instigate and then Forfeit, nice.