Furyan5
OperatorPaddy

A rainbow is a reflection

Furyan5

Pro

First round acceptance.
OperatorPaddy

Con

Alright, I accept. and it's a refraction not reflection
Furyan5

Pro

Actually, sunlight is refracted and reflected. It gets refracted as it passes for air into denser water droplets. It then gets reflected internally before leaving the raindrop, where it gets refracted even further. Each raindrop acts as a mini concave mirror, reflecting sunlight at the viewer. Therefore it's a reflection.
OperatorPaddy

Con

But to be a rainbow it must be refracted, and in that process it gets bent back, or reflected. However, because the white light we see from the sun is split in to ROY G BIV and then is reflected. It is a refraction.
And to settle the discussion in the comments: refraction is a noun, to refract is a verb. Reflection is a noun, to reflect is a verb.
Furyan5

Pro

Refraction is bending. Reflecting is bouncing back. Both processes occur to form a rainbow. So a rainbow is a distorted reflection of the sun. Reflection is not part of refraction. It's a separate process.
OperatorPaddy

Con

Reflection in and of itself is not part of refraction, but it (more or less) happens in the process. But saying that is is purely a reflection is wrong. The process a rainbow goes through is closer to that of refraction.
Furyan5

Pro

I'm not denying that refraction is part of the process, but any image which results from light being reflected is by definition a reflection. Reflection is part of the process by which a rainbow is formed, therefore it is a reflection. Unless you can prove that light is not reflected, I win the debate.
OperatorPaddy

Con

But in the process of refraction it gets bent and reflected. Yes, reflection happens, but reflection does not split the colors. Refraction does, so for all intensive purposes a rainbow is a refraction.
Furyan5

Pro

You are mistaken. Reflection is not part of refraction. They are two separate things that occur inside a raindrop. In fact reflection can occur more than once and this results in secondary rainbows. So as I have said previously, refraction occurs, and so does reflection. Therefore a rainbow is refracted light which gets reflected. The image we see is a distorted reflection of the sun.
OperatorPaddy

Con

OperatorPaddy forfeited this round.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Lol. I wish people would do some research before implying others are stupid. Now go look in my gallery and you will see that light is refracted as it enters the raindrop and REFLECTED internally before being refracted even further as it leaves the raindrop. If you still don't get it, I can get my crayons and draw you a picture.
Posted by philosurfer 1 year ago
philosurfer
We know light bends in the presence of matter. Light can ride along the corridors of gravity. And light can bend as it passes through objects (Refraction). Reflection is the wrong word to use.
Posted by philosurfer 1 year ago
philosurfer
Refraction & Reflection are two completely different processes of light. In order to produce the separation of the visible white light in the Electric Magnetic Spectrum light must still pass through the medium, be it a water droplet or a prism as Newton used. The light could not do this if it was being Reflected. That is why its called Refraction. Light passes through, not bounces off.

Refracting is not pure Reflection. That's why the two different terms exist to begin with.

So on the basis of the actual words of the motion - Furyan5 - once again you're a dollar short and a day late on studying before concocting these ideas.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Lol sit down before you hurt yourself Paddy.
We not debating refraction. We both agree refraction (the bending of light as it passes from matter of low density into matter of a higher density, or vice versa) occurs during the formation of a rainbow. We are only discussing the bit where light gets reflected (bounced back).
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
What light debate? I don't see one listed under your profile King.
Posted by OperatorPaddy 1 year ago
OperatorPaddy
So, are we even debating reflection and refraction anymore or is it the definitions of nouns and verbs that we're debating?
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
action is nothing?
Posted by KingofEverything 1 year ago
KingofEverything
This reminds me of my light debate.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Noun is a thing, verb is a action. You watch (verb) a bird (noun).
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
how is a noun not a verb